Quick question about dies

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
It looks like I will be ordering up the Lee Challenger kit from Midway next week and will also be getting a set of 9mm dies for it. Now my question is witch is the better setup, the 3 die set or the 4 die set with the factory crimp die.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I've had mixed results with crimping with the seating die. Get the set with the FCD. IIRC it's only like $10 more for the 4-die set.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Lee dies work well. That being said I don't have a real love for the handgun FCD's. All you want to do is close the bell you made for seating. Neck tension holds the bullet and if you don't have enough that's a size die/brass issue and clamping down on the bullet/brass combo isn't going to fix it.

dennishoddy

Lee dies work well. That being said I don't have a real love for the handgun FCD's. All you want to do is close the bell you made for seating. Neck tension holds the bullet and if you don't have enough that's a size die/brass issue and clamping down on the bullet/brass combo isn't going to fix it.
^^what he said^^

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I guess I'll go ahead and get the 4 die set. This will be my first big attempt at reloading. Once I get handgun ammo down I will try my hand at some rifle loads.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Thats when the fun begins!

Yep....Looks like I will be getting this from Cabela's instad of Midway. They have them on sale for 99.99 for the press kit and 20 bucks off any order over $150 witch won't be hard to do. And I'll get free shipping if I have it shipped to the store in St. Louis and have my ex pick it up, then I will get it from her when I go up to see the kids in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts