Questions about getting started

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
I have decided I want to do a 3 gun match or two this summer. I am just going to use what I have, what I'm comfortable with and only make mild adjustments to my collection for the competition. Its all for fun, getting to know the limitations of myself and my weapons, seeing how I can handle shooting "under pressure" and the camaraderie of competition. Off-road motorcycle racing is my main hobby, guns are a way to blow off steam without hurting myself or my bikes (hence the avasion to spending much money getting prepared) ... And since my friend and I's range sessions usually end up involving some sort of competition between ourselves, this is just a natural progression.

So here's my questions, in bold

I have a Sig 556 Swat Patrol, I'm using a junk BSA optic right now with plans to get a higher end optic by mid summer. An Eotech XPS or AimPoint Comp M3/4. what do you guys who have tried each recommend? I should probably just look through each and make a decision. Or would I be king ding-a-ling if I just showed up with an open sights AK?

My Sig 556 has mags that can be clipped together. 3 mags = 90 possible rounds for a stage, sounds like plenty. Is this even legal for competition?

I've got a Remington 1100, I really like this 43 year old gun and have heard pro's and cons about it, I will stick with it for now. It has a 28" barrel and I am looking at a +6 extension. Will that be enough extra capacity? I am also not sure what choke it has on the barrel either, how do I tell? I know its not an optium set-up. Is there anything cheap, easy and reversable I can do to it that would make it better?

My only semi-auto pistol is a Glock 27. Yep, a baby glock won't be very good for getting back on target quickly OR very accurate. but this is all for fun. I planned on using my IWB holster if thats legal in competion and making or purchasing some cheap plastic/elastic mag clips. Is that ok?

Chris_Andersen

Certified
One of the nice things about the OKC 3 gun matches is that it is basically a run what you've got deal. No one will give you a hard time about your AK, and there will be plenty of people willing to let you check out/try their equipment, so you can basically see just about everything out there. (I run an eotech XPS on my non magnified rifle that you are welcome to check out) There are a few guys shooting irons, and about every optic under the sun out there as well.

You can run mag couplers if you like. That is actually very common.

Your shotgun will be just fine for now, and a +6 tube is more than enough. A lot of us run Light Modified chokes, but again run what youve got and see what you like/need before you spend any money. There will be no shortage of loaners.

The one thing I would try and get is a belt hoslter for your Glock (Again someone here might be able to loan you one). I think IWB would be a bad idea/potentially dangerous with all of the stuff happening in these matches, not to mention they may actually not be legal (Mr. Pinto might answer that one for you).

Look Jesse or I up at your first match, or PM us before and we will help you get oriented.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have decided I want to do a 3 gun match or two this summer. I am just going to use what I have, what I'm comfortable with and only make mild adjustments to my collection for the competition. Its all for fun, getting to know the limitations of myself and my weapons, seeing how I can handle shooting "under pressure" and the camaraderie of competition. Off-road motorcycle racing is my main hobby, guns are a way to blow off steam without hurting myself or my bikes (hence the evasion to spending much money getting prepared) ... And since my friend and I's range sessions usually end up involving some sort of competition between ourselves, this is just a natural progression.

I'm pumped that your going to give the 3 gun game a shot. Be prepared to sell your bikes if you try 3 gun. It is the most addictive sport I have ever tried. I have retired my gold clubs and my crochet set since finding 3 gun. I'm thinking about selling my corvette to buy a bigger better pickup for hauling myself and my gear to 3 gun matches.

I have a Sig 556 Swat Patrol, I'm using a junk BSA optic right now with plans to get a higher end optic by mid summer. An Eotech XPS or AimPoint Comp M3/4. what do you guys who have tried each recommend? I should probably just look through each and make a decision. Or would I be king ding-a-ling if I just showed up with an open sights AK?

Get the Eotech XPS with the 1 moa dot and no circle. it is the fastest option out there for a red dot sight in this game. Two of our top local shooters use them so if you show up on the 20th you probably can give theirs a try.

If you show up with an AK you will definitely look different but thats not to say you cant use it and have a blast shooting the match.

I've got a Remington 1100, I really like this 43 year old gun and have heard pro's and cons about it, I will stick with it for now. It has a 28" barrel and I am looking at a +6 extension. Will that be enough extra capacity? I am also not sure what choke it has on the barrel either, how do I tell? I know its not an optimum set-up. Is there anything cheap, easy and reversible I can do to it that would make it better?

It is to your benefit to be able to hold 9 rounds in your shotgun. If you order a tube get one from Nordic components. There stuff is the heat and they just hooked us up big time on a group buy. I am not a 1100 expert but there are several on here that are. Hopefully they will chime in with the proper lubrication and maintenance that 3 gun will require.

If you have a calipers you can measure the restriction on the choke and compare that to the charts you find on line or if there are hash marks on it that will tell you the constriction as well.
My only semi-auto pistol is a Glock 27. Yep, a baby Glock won't be very good for getting back on target quickly OR very accurate. but this is all for fun. I planned on using my IWB holster if thats legal in completion and making or purchasing some cheap plastic/elastic mag clips. Is that OK?

This pistol will make for some tough shooting in 3 gun. Sometimes we shoot out to 75 yards but if you can hit with it why not run it. I'm not sure on the IWB thing. The match director will have to answer that one.

Chambers

actual GM
1.) If you're shooting unmagnified, my preference is the Eotech. Personally I like the single dot reticle versions without the 65 MOA ring. The 1 MOA dot is the way to go. Know your gun and where it hits from 5 - 300 yds. in the local matches, longer in major matches.

2.) Coupled mags are legal. I've never shot more than 60 in any stage, but more than 30 is quite common. Extended mags are the ticket.

3.) In the unmagnified class you can only start with 8 in the gun. That extension should be fine. Light mod choke is my choice. If you know how it spreads at various distances and shoot accordingly choke selection isn't a big deal.

4.) 99% of the time I would say shoot what you have, but the 27 will not be fun. Borrow a full size gun from somebody. You're welcome to shoot my M&P9, but you'll want to get a fullsize gun sorted out at some point.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
An inside the waist band holster is fine, as long as it holds the pistol well enough no to fall out under vigorous movement...which most don't, just make sure when you holster after making hot you don't put your finger on the trigger, which you won't cause you don't now.

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the responses guys,

I will look into at the very least borrowing a proper holster for my Glock or borrowing Taymoor's 1911 since we'll more than likely be headed to an event together. I have my eye on a HK 45 or G35/4. But that will have to come later as I am doing a full race series this year on bikes as well as trying to save for my tuition AND a possible trip to race in Germany in 2012 (if I qualify next spring)

I believe the Nordic tube is what I had picked out for my 1100. I'll see what I can find about the 1100 in 3 gun... Seems like 95% of what I see is Benelli info though.

I'll bring my 556 to a match for sure, The AK was more of a joke, regardless of how fun it is to shoot isn't as accurate, takes longer to get back on target and is a Pre-Ban Norinco 56s with less than 500 rounds down the barrel, was in my dad's closet with the zip tie on the trigger from 87-Oct 2011. So it has some sentimental value. I will Probaby end up with an EoTech XPS. I may try Iron Sights with the 556 first time out, the Rotary Diopter sight isn't bad at all IMHO. You can go from 5yds too 300yds in less than a second and not worry about "hold overs"

Jesse, I'll never sell out of bikes completely. They are a part of who I am, and I can compete on them and usually win back most of my entry fee ;-).

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
borrowing Taymoor's 1911 since we'll more than likely be headed to an event together.
If you go this route, I have a holster you can borrow

I'll see what I can find about the 1100 in 3 gun... Seems like 95% of what I see is Benelli info though.
You're right about Benelli being the dominant SG in 3gun, but there are lots of 1100s. I would guess it to be the 2nd most popular, but losing ground to the FN SLP. You should be able to find some good info on the 1100 though. Mike Pinto posted something up the other day about a maintianance schedule for them. IIRC you just need to clean it & change the rings & oil it up good before each match. I do believe Sean Mcanne on here runs one or used to. He could probably hook you up with all you need to know.

I'll bring my 556 to a match for sure, I will Probaby end up with an EoTech XPS. I may try Iron Sights with the 556 first time out, the Rotary Diopter sight isn't bad at all IMHO. You can go from 5yds too 300yds in less than a second and not worry about "hold overs"
They'd both compete in the same division at our matches, so it's really just whichever you're most comfortable with.

Jesse, I'll never sell out of bikes completely. They are a part of who I am, and I can compete on them and usually win back most of my entry fee ;-).
Jesse was only kidding with ya...............mostly.

jtischauser

Go with the Glock 34/35 if you want a gun for competition. The HK us a great gun but not so much for any competitive shooting.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Go with the Glock 34/35 if you want a gun for competition. The HK us a great gun but not so much for any competitive shooting.
The Glock should have less recoil for faster follow ups, while the HK should have a bit better accuracy. So, as much as it pains, me I'll give my reccomendation for the Glock. :D

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
Taymoor just ordered a G34.. so I imagine we'll be swapping pistol for Shotgun at competitions. should be fun.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
I just bought a glock 34 and am super excited about getting into 3 gun. What modifications will I need for the sport. I definitely want some adjustable sights, but which are the best for the intended purpose? I like the concept of the advantage tactical pyramid sights. Other than that, I'm just looking into a 3.5 lb connector as of now. anything else you might recommend?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I just bought a glock 34.................anything else you might recommend?
Bullets!!!!
I'd recommend shooting it before you start changing it. How else will you know what you like/don't like?

jtischauser

I just bought a glock 34 and am super excited about getting into 3 gun. What modifications will I need for the sport. I definitely want some adjustable sights, but which are the best for the intended purpose? I like the concept of the advantage tactical pyramid sights. Other than that, I'm just looking into a 3.5 lb connector as of now. anything else you might recommend?

This is my USPSA production G34.
Glock34-AccurateIronWork.jpg

This is my 3 Gun G34. You can use a magwell and grip modifications in 3 gun. You are welcome to shoot either or both if these before you modify yours.
G34Production3Gun.png

I have never heard of those sights you mention so that is a good indicator A's to their usefulness in 3 gun. In fact I don't think I own anything that has the word tactical in it's name for use in 3 gun. Dont mistake this game for some tactical scenario. It's just a game that requires you to learn how to shoot fast to win.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
Thanks so much Jesse for that awesome visual aid. Those are some envy-inducing pistols you've got there. I would definitely be interested in the beavertail for the glock. However, could you explain how that is attached? I looked up the DP sights and they look like real winners. I'll definitely take you up on shooting the 34 at my first 3gun match, whenever that may be.

jtischauser

Thanks so much Jesse for that awesome visual aid. Those are some envy-inducing pistols you've got there. I would definitely be interested in the beavertail for the glock. However, could you explain how that is attached? I looked up the DP sights and they look like real winners. I'll definitely take you up on shooting the 34 at my first 3gun match, whenever that may be.

It should be this Sunday. Come play with us!!!

I have never watched mike build a beavertail but he tells me it's pretty labor and time intensive. He puts some small pins into the back of the frame then builds up a bedding type material a small amount at a time, then let's that dry, then sands it, then builds up more, then sands it, then builds up more, you get the picture.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It should be this Sunday. Come play with us!!!

I have never watched mike build a beavertail but he tells me it's pretty labor and time intensive. He puts some small pins into the back of the frame then builds up a bedding type material a small amount at a time, then let's that dry, then sands it, then builds up more, then sands it, then builds up more, you get the picture.
All of those mods are really pretty easy. Just a 45 min. drive to Jones & done deal. :D

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
can anyone running an 1100 or 11-87 give some feedback on how they like it and what work if any they have done to it

Latest posts