Questions about gear for shooting Single Stack

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
I started shooting in USPSA and 3 gun earlier this year and am having a blast!

Initially I only started shooting USPSA because I wasn't overly pleased with my pistol accuracy or speed, but now that I've started shooting it regularly, I'm really enjoying it, especially since I see myself improving pretty quickly, much more quickly than I would have thought.

Currently I use my 3 gun rig for shooting USPSA and have been shooting limited minor. It's great to really become familiar with my gun and shoot it a ton, but want to make the switch over to Single Stack major next year.

As far as the gun goes, I have that covered so I don't have questions about that, but for the other gear, I'm definitely needing some guidance.

Holster: more than likely going to get the DOH blade tech since that's what I've been using.

Belt: probably a double alpha belt.

Mag pouches: I'd like to go bullet nose out, but am wondering what everyone else uses. The reason I'm thinking about bullet nose out pouches is because I just don't have the real estate on my belt and really don't want to be reaching all the way to the small of my back to grab a mag.

Mags: I currently have 4 Wilson Combat 47DE mags, and will definitely need more. The question is how many more will I need? Should I get 6 more? I know this is a pretty subjective question, but all of this is going to be expensive so I want enough to last me a couple of stages. Reloading 8 rounds into mags is a hell of a lot easier than 22 rounds lol.

In a nutshell, which mag pouches should I be looking at, which ones do people prefer, and how many mags would be a good number to start out with?

Thanks in advance everyone, as always I really appreciate any advice.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
Unless the holster rules have changed you need the frontstrap above the top of the belt, so no DOH.

I use CR speed pouches with delrin spacers for SS mags.
Crap, thanks for the heads up on the holster. I can't believe they want the gun that high! Might as well draw from a shoulder holster lol.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Seeing as my holster choice is out of the question, any recommendations? I was looking at the Ghost for single stack, but have zero familiarity with it.

My goal would be to buy once and have a holster that will definitely work. I hate returning stuff.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
mattmiller (Robusto) said:
have never had the problem of the 4th mag pouch in the small of my back.
Have you tried eating bacon?
some of us just have fast metabolisms ok

I keep trying to make belt space for more mags but to no avail.

bboswell

Well-Known Fanatic
After trying a couple of the Dawson Precision's with the Aluminim base pads, doubt I will ever go back to WC 47, 47D or ETM's.

I've bought the Dawson's for all my 1911 calibers now and luv em'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
My gun always like the Chip McCormick Power Mags. As far as how many, I used to carry 7 mags when I shot single stack. very seldom used more than 4, but when I did, they were nice to have.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
And at least six magazines. Should consider a set of dryfire mags as well, so they can get beat up and your match mags stay in good shape.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks everyone! I'm going to drop my 1911 off at the gunsmith today and will be shooting in a match this Sunday. There'll be a bunch of single stack shooters there so I'll take a look at the pouches they're using. Apparently double alpha makes single stack pouches that don't require spacers and take up a smaller amount of belt space. There are a few M single stack shooters shooting this Sunday so hopefully they each have different types that I can look at.

I'm shooting limited as usual this Sunday and probably until the season ends unless I get everything I need before old man winter shows up.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot in a match yesterday and had the opportunity to check out a few single stack shooters setups. The mag pouches that seemed to take up the least amount of belt space were the double alpha single stack mag pouches. I placed an order about an hour ago for 5 of those along with the boss hanger with blade tech holster. I'm just needing all of the conversion stuff to load 45 on my 650 along with bullets and primers.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I run the Double Alpha SS pouches too. They are expensive, but worth it IMO.

I also run Wilson 47D mags. If I had it to do over again I'd go ETMs or McCormick. The springs in 47Ds suck. Buy a bunch of ISMI replacement springs and have them on hand because you're gonna need them. Other than the springs 47Ds have been pretty good but replacing springs after about 6 matches kind of makes the upgrade to ETMs cost effective. Only load 8 when you really NEED to load 8 and life will be better for you.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
No, only the 40 & 45 but I've sold alot of the 9mm & have had good reports.

If you didn't know Virgil Tripp was the "T" in STI. He's no longer with STI but has Tripp Industries prouc8ng these magazines. They stand behind them, great customer service from my experience.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
Tripp cobra mags are the best I've found
Ditto on Tripp mags.
However I can not recommend the Alloy Base Pads. They do not absorb shock well, stick with Polymer Base Pads.