Question on .308 vs .300 Recoil

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
At the range today, I chatted with an local Sheriff who was doing some weapon preparedness training with a new recruit. I'm not sure what it is really called, but he had 3 or 4 rifles, and 3 or 4 handguns they were discussing and shooting. Anyway, after chatting with them for a bit, and watching them shoot this weapon, they let me shoot the remainder of the clip.

http://www.keltecwea...uns/rifles/rfb/

My first shot gave me a big clue as to why a forward stance with slightly bent knees is a good idea. My second and third shots told me the rounds are louder than my ear protection can handle. My fourth and final shot told me that discharged gun powder is an acquired taste.

Anyway, I was wondering if a bullpup design using .308 ammo has a stronger recoil and noise level than a standard AR 16-18" SA carbine would using the same ammo type. And if there is no difference, then would a .300 upper married to DPMS lower provide less recoil and noise? If not, I assume I need to do more sit-ups and either upgrade my hearing protection or invest in some earplugs to use in conjunction with them.

Thanks,

Medicius

Spiff

Semi-Pro
If you're talking about .300 Blackout, yes, it would have less recoil, because it's wimpy compared to .308. :) Get some electronic muffs, stuff some earplugs in, and turn the muffs all the way up.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't feel too bad, only an astronomically small percentage of Earth's population would describe shooting 308(or similar) out of a service rifle as pleasant.

Good form and quick technique are your two best friends.

For what its worth, 300AAC requires 1/3 to 1/2 half as much powder as 308.

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank goodness. Because while that Keltec looked pretty cool, it was no fun to shoot. But! I have no form yet, so that may have played a large part in the overall issue.

Is 300AAC allowed in the Heavy match groups?

Latest posts