Question About Sub Sonic Ammo

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I just bought a Sparrow .22lr. for use on my NC22. I screwed off the flash hider and twisted on the suppressor and shot some federal bulk pack .22LR out of it. I was suprised at the fact that it was very close to the same noise with or without the suppressor.

What can I do to quiet this thing down some more?

I am about to order some subsonic ammo. What .22lr do you recommend?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The only .22 sub sonic I've bought was yhe Remington brand at Walmart. It functions great in my MKIII and pretty damn quiet with the suppressor. I can tell a difference in sound when I mix a mag with federal bulk and subsonics.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Only subsonic .22 LR I have experience with is RWS 40 grain HPs. I bought a box of 50 to try and was pleased with the accuracy. They were quite a bit quieter than the standard velocity cartridges I was shooting that day. They come covered in a paraffin wax like substance. You'd want to be careful about how you store/handle them because I could see them attracting dirt and grit. I'm interested to see what others have had good experiences with as I plan on trying several brands.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I've tried 4 different brands of .22 subsonic ammo with my nc22 and element suppressor. The only ones I could run suppressed was the CCI subsonic and Remington subsonic. The Aguila subsonic wouldn't cycle. And some other brand I can't remember wouldn't cycle either.
The regular federal bulk pack sounds subsonic out of a suppressed pistol. But because the rifle barrel is long it will have a higher velocity and you won't be subsonic. Even with subsonic ammo out of a suppressed rifle, it's not quite as quiet as out of a suppressed pistol. That's why I just use my can on my pistol and don't even bother with the rifle now. Let us know what you find out.

Oh and I was just running a stock recoil spring in my nc22. I understand they have a low recoil spring that may help subsonic cycle issues. But again, it's really not all that quiet anyways. At least with my can, which is supposed to be one of the quietest available.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I've shot some of the powderless things out of my Nordic upper and some suppressor or another. It was stupid fun.

Almost made me decide to get that first stamp.

The Antichrome

I've shot CCI subsonic out of both a suppressed 10/22 and non-suppressed...its good ammo, period.

FWIW, CCI 'standard velocity' works really well too, and will usually not have that loud 'crack' from a suppressed gun (like a mini-mag)

The ultra low velocity aguilla (sp?) ammo struggles to cycle a gun, but its hard to beat for shooting 'single shot' when you want to be sneaky.

dennishoddy

What can I do to quiet this thing down some more?

This is why I've never been interested in buying one.
One can buy the subsonic in .22, .300 blackout, etc, and its really quiet.
For me personally, I want my rounds to be as fast as possible. Other than Heatland, having a match for supressed that I really support, it doesn't seem like the thing I would go for as far as hunting, and I don't see a whole lot of support in the USPSA, etc either for getting a division going for them.
Ok, it might be cool to hunt without hearing protection, but just in my opinion, and my opinion only, Y'all have fun with them. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

mlr1m

Fanatic
I just received my new Sparrow SS two days ago. When mounted on my Ruger 22/45 I cannot really tell the difference between the CCI standards and the CCI sub sonics.. Plan on trying both in a rifle soon.

Michael

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Try some 60 grain Aquila subsonic if you can find any. CB caps work really well but you'll probably have to shoot them single shot since they don't produce enough recoil to cycle the slide. A spoon full of water can help for a few shots too. It's called shooting the can "wet".

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
I use a bit of subsonic ammo. Only 40grain Winchester stuff I hear the cci is good also. It works fine on rabbits and small things but for target shooting and if I don't need to be quiet I don't really bother with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts