Question about AR Bolt

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a complete upper with BCG and the bolt fits pretty tight in the grooves in the barrel and it appears that the bolt does not seat properly every time. It is pretty hard to pull back the charging handle due to the bolt being so tight.

Can anyone give any feedback on what might cause this or if this is an issue. If I need to clarify anything let me know right now this is the best way I know how to explain.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
So, just to get the obvious out of the way, but is the bolt lubed? I would wet the bolt lugs a bit with lubrication if it's a new bolt. New bolts can be tight if it's a new bolt with a new upper receiver. Usually takes about a 100 rounds through it to smooth out the rough edges around the locking lugs on the bolt and chamber. I always over lube a bit if it's brand spankin new. Try lubing it it up and rack the bolt back and forth a few times. Don't let it slam at first and just ride the charging handle in and out. After a few times it might start to loosen up a bit. Again, make sure the lugs are wet with lube.

If your bolt is lubed up and absolutely refuses to lock in all the way and it's extremely tight, then something may be out of spec. Might try a spare bolt if you have one. If the spare works, then your bolt may be out of spec, otherwise if the other bolt has the same issue, then your barrel extension may be out of spec or upper receiver may be wrong.

My new loki upper was a little gritty and tight with the Spikes BCG I bought for it. Initially squirted some synthetic motor oil, but was still gritty with that, so I wiped it all down and used some Slip2000 EWL gun lube and it was much slicker with that stuff. Ran about a 100 rounds and now it's pretty smooth.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks i thought that might be the case we lubed it and that helped just wasn't sure if all it needed was to be shot. It is a new bolt and upper. Ill try out a different bolt and see if there is any difference if not ill head to the range for break in.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Make 100% sure it's locking in before you shoot it.
If it's just rough it'll eventual smooth out a bit, but if it's not locking in all the way, you don't want to shoot it.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm pretty sure the seating issue was resolved after we lubed the bolt ran a few rounds through it with no problems thanks again for the feedback

Latest posts