Protection from hot barrel

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have been trying to get my left hand way out on the forearm of my Benelli M2 when shooting to help speed up my transitions. I am also trying to point my left index finger down the barrel of the gun at the target. However when doing so I tend to burn my finger and can't pick my nose or a$$ very well for a few days.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestion for something to put on the side of the barrel right past the forearm to give my index finger a little protection.

I was thinking about trying some of that foam pad stuff that guys put on their shotgun butt stocks to change their cheek weld up but I don't know where to get that stuff or if it would melt on a hot barrel.

Let me know if you have some ideas.

jtischauser

I don't want to hold onto fiber glass. That will make my a$$ and nose itch when I scratch after I shoot.

jtischauser

[quote author=Scott Hearn link=topic=226.msg1707#msg1707 date=1286315520]
Maybe rig up a suppressor wrap?
[/quote]

I'm not as tactical as you guys with yoru quiet guns. What is a suppressor wrap?

Spiff

Semi-Pro
[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=226.msg1690#msg1690 date=1286304636]
I don't want to hold onto fiber glass. That will make my a$$ and nose itch when I scratch after I shoot.
[/quote]

Not if you dunked it in epoxy and stuck it to the barrel. Composites is real easy. I've done carbon fiber setups with the loctite 5 min epoxy from Lowes or WallyWorld.

Here's suppressor covers. I think a lot of them are made out of Nomex.
http://www.vitaminpwww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2051390

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=226.msg1708#msg1708 date=1286317921]
[quote author=Scott Hearn link=topic=226.msg1707#msg1707 date=1286315520]
Maybe rig up a suppressor wrap?
[/quote]

I'm not as tactical as you guys with yoru quiet guns. What is a suppressor wrap?
[/quote]
Good gosh I can't believe you youngsters some times...

And I only wish I had a quiet gun. Or 10....

Attachments

• Suppressor_Wrap.png
    Suppressor_Wrap.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 55

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
JeffSoward had a Coyote Tan suppressor wrap for sale, He may still have it.

jtischauser

I think it may be a little tough to see my bead at the end of the barrel with that wrapped around it.

What I have envisoned is a barrel/tube clamp that has a shield on it or something I can stick on there.

I might just try a small section of that grey cylinderical pipe insulation that the HVAC guys use. I might have to spray a little spray adhesive on it.

jeffsoward

Founding Member
You could cut the suppressor wrap down to fit, that is, if you have a little tiny bit of sewing skill.

I wouldn't recommend spraying any adhesive on the barrel. That is unless you really don't care about the permanent burned on gunk that would result.
Also, Armaflex (the hvac wrap that you're talking about) is rated for about 220F, so as long as your barrel is not getting much hotter than that, it would be fine.
i could get you a piece or two to try out. Armaflex has adhesive on one of the edges to close the wrap together without adhesion to the tube it's protecting. Oh, and it's black, not gray.

jeffsoward

Founding Member
Here's some of it.
The tube (1 1/8 ID) is a solid tube, not split, so it would need split to fit (unless it could slip over the sight).
The other two are adhesive backed, but handle a lower temp.
You could cut the tube piece and split it and size it to fit the barrel and use the thin foam tape to wrap the tube and hold it in place.
2010-10-06134634.jpg

jtischauser

I like that thinner stuff. It is similar to the stuff I was looking at on m y google searches.

Are you shooting the ProAm Saturday?