Pros and cons of BDC reticle?

Dan Haught

Fanatic
I didn't know selecting a low powered optic for 3 gun rifle would be so difficult.

What are the pro's and con's of using a BDC reticle vs a standard MIL or MOA hash reticle as it applies to 3 gun?

Specifically I'm looking at the Vortex Razor HD2 1-6 with the JM reticle vs. MIL reticle.

Is it worth it to get a more complex reticle for holds or is it better to use a simple reticle and run something like a 300 yard zero and learn the holds?

Topshotdudley

Team Scalpel Arms
I have Vortex HD 1-6x with the JM reticle! I'm sighted in at 200 and my hash marks work as 100 yard increments. I find it easier to go by that than then having a bunch of hash marks. The MIL reticle is a tad to busy for me also. I would recommend the BDC for sure!

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
while im a limited shooter i am almost positive you will want the jm reticle, i have used it and it is fast and accurate

Dan Haught

Fanatic
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning heavy towards that scope.
I am planning on ordering a TTI rifle and they push the Trijicon 1-4 with the triangle reticle as a complete package but I'm no Taran Butler, and I think having hash marks for holds might make more sense for me.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
It's all going to depend on the distances you shoot at. If you only shoot to 200, then the Accupoint would be fine. Shoot beyond that, and the BDC reticle, as well as the 6x instead of 4x really shines.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The JM reticle spacing is pretty close to mil spacing out to 500. In a Mil reticle like my Swarovski the 5th mark down is about 550-585 not 600 like a BDC would be. For the large targets we shoot out past 400 it really isn't much difference. With either one you can out the hash center mass and still get a hit on a full size silhoute.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
It doesn't really matter. MDs are going to throw targets at random distances anyway, so even if your BDC matches your load perfectly at 200, 300, 400, and 500, you're going to have to figure out where it hits at 345 & 467 yards using a ballistic calculator or an educated guess. The only thing that's important is it has marks and you can use them.

The thing the Swaro BDC has is wind hashes, which I use the crap out of as a reference.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
It doesn't really matter. MDs are going to throw targets at random distances anyway, so even if your BDC matches your load perfectly at 200, 300, 400, and 500, you're going to have to figure out where it hits at 345 & 467 yards using a ballistic calculator or an educated guess. The only thing that's important is it has marks and you can use them.
That's where the Strelok app shines. I used mil-dot for years and felt it was the best. But that was before I got into 3 gun. Now BDC is the way to go.

Bill

jtischauser

Austin T said:

The thing the Swaro BDC has is wind hashes, which I use the crap out of as a reference.
Very good points Austin. I just picked a cheap ass Primary Arms 1-6x. It has a reticle that actually makes a lot of sense. It has a bunch of tacticool stuff nobody will ever use but it has windage marks, a 200 yard hold point and numbers at 400, 600 & 800 so you can quickly see what hash your on. Someday somebody that makes a good scope will get it all right.

dennishoddy

The BDC technology relies on the perfect round at the perfect velocity, at the perfect temperature, the perfect powder at the perfect temperature, altitude, etc.

All that being said, its pretty darned close if all the above is kept within reasonable tolerances. I have a Nikon on my R-15 hunting AR. Its been sighted in for a long time at 100, with the range drop/windage committed to memory.

Recently tried it at 300 yds using the BDC, and was pleasantly surprised that it was pretty much dead on.

I approve!

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I am lucky enough to have a range about a 1/2 hour away that goes out to 1000. So I took my rifle with BDC reticle optic to double check everything. The reticle was not perfect with my load, but it was pretty darm close. But since I tested it, I know the holds. I also used a balistics calculator to get my holds in 25 yard increments out to 500. I made a "dope sheet" and taped it to the left side of my stock. If they throw a target at 265 or 340, I can figure out my holds from the dope sheet. Has helped me a few times. It's also very usefull for people who I let borrow my rifle.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never found the perfect reticle. For matches with up close hoser stages I've gone back to shooting RDS, as my Burris XTR reticle is nice and the BDC is dead on at distance, but when you're rapid transitioning and trying to shoot as fast as possible, any reticle like that gets a little busy and throws you off a little, at least for me anyways.

So if money allows, my new preference is to have a good variable that you like to use in matches with distance shooting, and something much simpler (like a red dot) for hoser matches. Of course, its absolutely necessary that you know hold offs with a red dot if you plan to go that route.

Dan Haught

Fanatic
Sounds like the best thing about a BDC is it's just less cluttered than a MIL reticle. Either way you have to know your holds and make sure you compensate for the intermediate distances.

jtischauser

Dan Haught said:
Sounds like the best thing about a BDC is it's just less cluttered than a MIL reticle. Either way you have to know your holds and make sure you compensate for the intermediate distances.
Usually a standard mil reticle is busier than a BDC.

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
I didn't like the bdc reticle that was in my Burris XTR because my pet load for that rifle didn't match up with the reticle and I found it confusing when engaging distance targets.

I went with a Bushnell mil reticle on my new rifle and my loads work with it so that 1mil roughly = 300, 2 = 400, 3 = 500, 4 = 580. To me that is easier than dealing with the odd match up the bdc gave me. But I've also learned to not worry about the exact distance and mil hold for each target but to think in relative terms. Such as the case in a recent match where targets were at 285 and 360, I thought in terms of a short 300 and long 300. I suppose I could have done that with a bdc as well but to me the mils just make sense.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Terry, when I get it back I will. Rifle is out being worked on. My setup loos similar to what Jerry Miculik runs, except he has a higher quality optic.

Latest posts