Proposed ban on XM855 ammunition

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
It still sounds like the ban on this ammo is still in the works. So far they have just admitted to an accidental omission.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
StealthESW said:
It still sounds like the ban on this ammo is still in the works. So far they have just admitted to an accidental omission.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
Technically, yes. Although it seems like they have slowed down saying that they will consider all 80,000+ comments.

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I read that it was shelved for now. Not really sure what that means. Probably that they are going to stop talking about it until the all this blows over and then do it without saying **** to anybody.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
In ATF speak "shelving for now" means we pissed off to many people and can't really do this, so we'll save face by shelving it instead of admitting defeat.

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw a link in an NRA email yesterday that even members of Congress wrote a letter to the ATF stating it was stupid. Lol. Made for a pretty interesting read.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
J. Bradford said:
I saw a link in an NRA email yesterday that even members of Congress wrote a letter to the ATF stating it was stupid. Lol. Made for a pretty interesting read.

Do you have a link for that article?

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
The ATF Director went before a Senate committee and stated that it isn't JUST about M855. Reading between the lines will tell you that includes pretty much every rifle caliber with a pistol variant. That includes ALL flavors of .223, 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45X39, & .308 for those keeping score at home.

http://monderno.com/news/atf-director-confirms-not-just-m855/

Because, you know: Officer safety.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks like banning m855 was just to be the begining of a much larger plan. The more I see this kind of thing the more I wonder what they are planning in the long term. I mean what is the end game here? I know what has happened historically, but I can't imagine that happening here.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
It's never been about keeping rifle caliber cartridges out of "handguns". It's always been about banning common defensive rifle calibers. Period. The end game is a de facto ban on "assault weapons" through the common and available ammunition for the same. They are relentless and we can't be anything less.

MarkCh

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree. They don't like the fact that so many people are eagerly and safely enjoying shooting AR-15 and similar rifles because it messes with their talking points about "assault weapons" and "cop-killer bullets" and such.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
At least now they are showing there hand and admitting they want to ban all AR ammo. That will backfire on them faster. The Republican controlled Congress and the Supreme Court would never stand for that.

dennishoddy

Spencer said:
Someone on AR15.com has developed actual armor piercing 9mm ammo out of copper jacketed nickel. It is not illegal and it actually pierces body armor.

Ahh... freedom. Smells good.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1721610_Why_not_make_some_legal_handgun_AP_to_get_the_BATFE_back_for_7N6_and_M855__UPDATE_with__380_on_pg_5.html&page=4#i52489266
Thats a very interesting link. Makes a guy want to get on the lathe with some different base metals and develop a new round to play with.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always thought that they were only sticking their toe in the water with the M855. I think they were just feeling out the opposition to figure out how they need to go about it. The pistol thing is a charade. They violated their own definition and the legislative definition of AP. They violated implementation rules with a comment period that was too short plus it was found out that they had no intention of even considering the comments. So what if a round is chamberable in a handgun? They blew all that stuff off, so what's to stop them from dropping the handgun requirement?

They are going after all rifle ammunition that can defeat soft armor and we all know what that means.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
It may be my tin foil helmet speaking but I wonder how many Congress critters and other big wigs have stock in ammo companies and they parade these bans around every once in awhile to drive ammo sales.

Latest posts