Proper Benelli Cleaning Procedure

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
This question is directed to the Benelli Team shooters.

What is the proper way to clean a Benelli M1/M2 and how often. I am currently just removing the bolt and wiping everything down inside and out every couple matches and then coating everything with a heavy dose of mobile 1 10W-30 synthetic before I put it back together. Any thing else I need to be doing.

Do I need to disassemble the bolt and put it back together. If so, how often. I have never taken the bolt apart. Are there any little springs under compression that will go flying everywhere?

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
This question is directed to the Benelli Team shooters.

What is the proper way to clean a Benelli M1/M2 and how often. I am currently just removing the bolt and wiping everything down inside and out every couple matches and then coating everything with a heavy dose of mobile 1 10W-30 synthetic before I put it back together. Any thing else I need to be doing.

Do I need to disassemble the bolt and put it back together.

Si.

If so, how often.

When dirty/before it stops working.

I have never taken the bolt apart. Are there any little springs under compression that will go flying everywhere?

Si.

A team Benelli member once told me one way to clean it was dissemble then spray on CLP. Allow that to work then blow it out with a air gun. Comes out pretty clean. Now take the bolt apart. Food the arm down. Pull the pin and contain the fireing pin (on a spring taking care so this doesn't become imbedded in your retina.). Then pull the bolt and wipe it all down. Coat with your mobile 1 and reassemble. Oil the rest of the gun and put it all back together. If there are any parts left over seek professional help.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I figured it out. My main question was how to take apart the bolt. With the above instructions and YouTube video, the task has been completed.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'm nowhere near good enough to be on the Team but I clean mine before any important shooting event. Usually 200-500 rounds between cleanings.

They will run a lot longer but it so easy why not take care of it.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
200 rounds? That's just when you dump in more oil!

Like I said if its before a big match I wipe it out before we leave town so I only need to add oil on the road. Cleaning guns rather than drinking beer after a day of shooting is a no go!

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I'm not a Benelli team member so you can stop reading here.

But what I do to clean my m2, I put the entire bolt in my ultrasonic cleaner with water, a little dish soap, and purple power. Let it get nice and hot then do as many cycles as my machine will allow before it auto shuts off. Take it out and wipe it all off. Blow it out with an air compressor. Oil it and put it back in the gun. I also clean the inside of the receiver and barrel with a rag, q-tips, and gun scrubber while I'm waiting on the ultrasonic cleaner. I do the samething with my AR-15 bolt carrier groups, but I take the bolt out of the carrier and clean the carbon off the bolt tail too. My shotgun was acting retarded so I got some advice from Uncle Kurt and evidently keeping Benelli's cleaned and oiled is relatively important. Who knew.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Aren't you spose to clean 'em like Glocks by dunking 'em in the creek once or twice a year?

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
The most critical place to clean on a Benelli are the frame rails and the bolt locking lug recesses in the barrel. Use Q-Tips!

The most critical places to oil are the frame rails, the cam pin and recess, and the bolt locking lugs...especially in the back!

It is a real good idea to vstrip and clean the bolt when tyou clean the frame rails.

Note on the cam pin, If you neglect this area you will ruin you bolt carrier as the area over time will round out and allow for the bolt to bounce out of battery...around 25,000-30,000 rounds and is one of the two causes of click instead of bang. I use a Moly paste for the cam pin and race, but you can do what you want. I have seen cam pins break due to non lubrication.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought it went like this:

1- Shoot Benelli
2- Wipe off "Accurate Iron" sticker
3- Shoot Benelli

Where'd I go wrong?

Oh, I'm not on Team Benelli either, so ignore the above.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I personally like Slide Glide Lite on the cam pin and the bolt lugs, Mobil 1 on the rails and everywhere else.

I hate it as much as anyone but you have to clean/maintain your stuff. For you guys that shoot handgun matches with me do you notice how my Limited gun rarely pukes?

Latest posts