Proper amount of ammo to keep on hand

Y

yousa

1 month of it is on my carcass. :) I can put 120 lbs of dehydrated fruit on the bike, with the BOB on my back, and walk along side of it. I only cached the stuff that keeps forever. Crisco, hard wheat, molasses, salt, and a bit of gear. That's 2 drums. The other 2 drums are empty. One i will fill with locally acquired grain and the fruit, the other i will fill with jerky. So I didn't need to put the concrete caps over 2 of the drums. Once shtf, all the larger, digging animals will be dead long before any of them can dig up my food drums. Burying food that you have to dig up, once a year and consume, or throw away and replace every 2 years, is a hassle and expensive. Very little in the way of other food retains its nutrition longer than 2 years, and the foods that do cost a lot of money.

Burying a drum, at night, clandestinely, showing no light, sucks, guys. It takes 3 nights per food drum. One night to dig the hole, dispose of the dirt, and make and install the "lid". Another night to haul in the drum, line the hole with gravel, and create the concrete and wire "cap" that keeps animals from digging up the drum. Install the drum, wait a month, stroll by now and then, looking for signs of digging. THEN haul in the food. A real pita. which almost nobody wants to bother with. But to not do it is folly. Post shtf, it'll be too late to be doing any caching. Some one will see you doing it, dogs will locate it, etc. It's not all that expensive to do what i did, really, just a hassle. The removable, gasketed lid drums run about $70 each. Sheesh. A drum is 50 gallons so there's about 300 lbs of wheat in that one drum. 3 trips with the bike to get it all delivered to the buried drum. Almost an entire 2 week's vacation "shot", tho, bro.

I don't want much food in the shelter, and none there before occupancy. It will just attract animals. The Rambos can have all the fighting, fires, and diseases. I don't want any part of it. I also dont want to waste money on newer 4wd vehicles, which so many "think" are needed bov's. :)

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Corey said:
I already thought this one through Dennis, and if he is planning on night fishing that's a hell of a lot of beer to bike out also. Lol
Makes me think I need to do a dry(wet?) run at the lake Saturday night after a fun day of USPSA. Beer and night fishing, because I'm badass! :)

SheepDogK-10

Fanatic
As fun as it is to discuss plans and all. I think I will keep mine a secret and only share with those that are close to me. LOL The best made plans are kept secret. But I do like hearing everyone else's plans.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
-Edmond Burke

dennishoddy

SheepDogK-10 said:
As fun as it is to discuss plans and all. I think I will keep mine a secret and only share with those that are close to me. LOL The best made plans are kept secret. But I do like hearing everyone else's plans.
Yup. Lets me know where to look for hoarded tater chips and .22 rimfire.

Stranger

Fanatic
The Antichrome said:
The only time you can have too much ammo is when you're swimming.

Or, on fire.
LOL! Awesome!

I was thinking that if you have space to walk through the cases of ammo… you don't have enough on hand.

Latest posts