Proper amount of ammo to keep on hand

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are just starting to stock ammo, here is what I suggest. Start with a basic load, and reload. So for an AR 60 rounds. Then work on having enough to fill all your mags. After that it really depends on what your individual situation is. Like was stated above, no such thing as too much. if your plan is to "bug out" in a survival situation, then don't buy tons of ammo and not have a way to transport it, or use it. Extra mags, additional ammo cans etc. I use some ammo cans for some stuff, but really like tool bags as well.

There are lots of reasons to stockpile ammo. If your concerns have to do with defending your property, keep one thing in mind. If you go through two magazines of ammo out of an AR-15, there should be plenty of additional ammo of various types laying around when you are done. Don't let a desire to "be prepared" surpass your need to be trained.

A bit more info about what you are wanting to stock up for would be helpful.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
That's a pretty open ended question.

Has the purchase of ammo caused you to neglect food and shelter expenses?

Is your floor sagging from the weight of your ammo bunker?

Does your stash make you feel the need to inform the local fire department, "just in case", something happens and they need to come over?

About the only things I "stockpile" are calibers I know I will shoot a lot- and are hard to find. For me... 25/35 Winchester would be a good example. I buy a factory box of it whenever I stumble over it... and hoard the brass for reloading.

If you shoot that AR often, 1000 rounds probably would not last a month. .22 long rifle is another bulk choice... it's easy to burn a brick or two in a weekend.

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
I was thinking of stocking for "hard" times. Let's face it....Things are becoming more and more hostile in country yearly. Economic crisis.....etc....basically just stock piling for defense purposes.....I just started reloading.. I currently have around 750 rounds of .223 ammo....400 of it os Wolf....my wife picked it up of one of her friends dad for 30 bucks.....not bad for 400 rounds and 4 30rd clips....it prob won't get shot unless I have nothing else....it has the red primer sealant crap on it....I've read stuff about it...but have never actually fired any

huntingfool

Fanatic
I have two friends that just bought rifles and neither can find ammo. Starting to see some online at $1.00 per round.

chairb0rnranger

Fanatic
I had the same problem when i bought my rifle around the first of april. I've been finding some decent deals on 5.56/.223 but pistol ammo is like trying to find water in a desert

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
I plan on having 5-10,000 rounds on hand. My Dillon is on order and should be here any day now, been waiting 5 weeks. I have about 4000 bullets on hand, Lapua 69gr HPBT Scenar and Sierra 77gr HPBT. Alliant Reloader 15 about 30 pounds. Natchez is shipping 3,000 Remington 71/2 primers that should get here on Wednesday.

Not worrying about ammo is a high priority and sucks that I don't have enough ammo to practice for 3Gun. Fixing that problem for good!! :)

dennishoddy

I don't look at the world as its coming to an end.
BUT I do look at the different political situations causing me to have shortages in ammo.

I got caught flat footed with the Clinton AWB, and vowed to never be caught short again.

I'm still shooting all I want to, but there is an end to it if this continues, and my personal vow to never pay gouger prices continues.

I have a minimum powder, shot, shell, cartridge, bullet inventory that I've maintained, but now I'm getting into the reserve.
When this panic/shooters gouging shooters episode ends, I'll double my minimum inventory. By my personal calculations, I'll be dead and gone by the time this supply goes away.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
For a very long time, I felt confident that I had components on hand for various calibers. Taking .223 as sn example, I had bullets, cases, primers and powder. When I moved (twice) it dawned on me that loaded ammo would've been easier to move than loose components and I couldn't shoot any of it until assembled into ammo....but I still didn't load them. Then with this latest madness, I decided to load up all I had. The good news is, I have more ammo ready to shoot. The bad news is, I'm very low on components.

The question, for me, has changed from "how much ammo is enough?" to "how much ammo is enough.....if I can't get anymore?"

This has caused my approach to change somewhat.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know if anyone watches Nutnfancy, but he always harps on size and weight constraints. Most of us live in sub-urban areas and if anything extremely bad were to happen, we would have to evacuate in a hurry I am sure, and if not, within a few days or so. I have met folks who have several thousands rounds for their AK's and not much else and say it is part of their B OKs, 100 rounds of 7.62 weighs about 3.5 pounds, compared to only 2.5 for .223. Even then, 1k rounds of that would be in the 20 lb range, so you have to ask yourself, especially if you think you will be on foot, what will you be able to carry when you consider, food, shelter, water, etc. 20 lbs is quite a bit to be adding to a load that might already be 60 lbs.

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
The Antichrome said:
The only time you can have too much ammo is when you're swimming.

Or, on fire.
If your still swimming your ok. When your sinking you have too much.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
5k per caliber is my personal baseline.

It changes depending on the situation. Currently I would have to bug in so 5k is reasonable. If I can bug out then a few hundred is all I can carry.

Y

yousa

Says you, right? I got news, its the guys who "think" that they are going anywhere in a 4 wheeled vehicle who are screwed, if shtf. There will be nail studded limbs and roadblocks everywhere, with people shooting-up your vehicle, just to get your stuff.

dennishoddy

yousa said:
Says you, right? I got news, its the guys who "think" that they are going anywhere in a 4 wheeled vehicle who are screwed, if shtf. There will be nail studded limbs and roadblocks everywhere, with people shooting-up your vehicle, just to get your stuff.
Your training?
There are lots of scenerios out there about what or where to go. Its interesting to see the folks on the TV programs that have bug out plans with food planted along the trail they anticipate taking. I've always wondered what they would do if their plan got disrupted?

My plan is, and I don't anticipate it ever happening, is just to hunker down, and survive.
I've had a little experience with the US Army survival School back in the 70's.
Prior to that I spent a lot of time in the woods with my grandpa putting in natural snares, deadfalls, etc to catch furbearers or game to eat.
I still trap to this day, focusing on furbearers. My training with the Army would help with anything else if the need arises.

Y

yousa

well, since it's all you got, you'd better be right. But I think that somebody's dog will draw them to one of your catches, and they will lie in ambush for you nearby. Better figure on running your line at night. Gill nets, trotlines, fish, turtle and crab traps make much more sense. Much easier to "score", much easier to service (at night) much less likely to be found by dogs, other predators, or people. Me, I figure to not go far, stay out of sight, and there's food cached for 6 months worth. I"ll take 3 months supply with me (on the mountain bike) and after that much time has passed, it will be far safer to have some small, sub-surface plots for growing sprouts.

Latest posts