Prematch Rituals

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
On a serious note, my pre-stage ritual is to face uprange, close my eyes and be able to picture myself running the stage at real time.......moving in and out of shooting positions, gun positioning, reloads going smoothly, making good hits etc.... If I can make a good mental run right before I'm up, I almost always run the stage well. It I can't make a good mental run, am second guessing my plan, or just forget to do it, bad stuff is way more likely to happen after the buzzer!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm an old ball player and it was a reference to one of the most common baseball superstitions/rituals....
Yeah, I get it. I just posted that eluding to the idea that Rusty sacraficing livestock makes perfect sense to me :D

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
My most common prestage ritual is when the RO asks if I understand the course of fire, I say "what are we supposed to do?" :huh: .

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I get it. I just posted that eluding to the idea that Rusty sacraficing livestock makes perfect sense to me :D

I need to modify Pedro Cerrano's ritual from Major League to work on shooting.

Pistol, it is sick. Cannot hit small steel. Paper target I hit it very much. Steel, pistol is afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from pistol. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I need to modify Pedro Cerrano's ritual from Major League to work on shooting.

Pistol, it is sick. Cannot hit small steel. Paper target I hit it very much. Steel, pistol is afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from pistol. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.
Are you trying to tell me that Jesus Christ can't shoot a plate rack? :D

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Wall and Browtine... That was awesome!

I just laughed so hard that I might have peed a little.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
Clean gun two days before event (never day before). The night before: 10 - 15 minutes for dry fire and mag change practice. Shave my back (with the gain of course) then mark the fenced area in my yard while howling at the moon. In the morning I listen to about an hour of Tori Amos and drink some vinegar until I throw up.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Back when I shot I used to pee all over my right hand shake my hand hard 13 times, wipe on left leg once on palm and twice on the backside of my hand, bounce on right foot 3 times and turn to the East bounce 5 times on left foot and go greet as many people as I could with a handshake :huh: don't know if it made me shoot any better but it sure got my mind off the course. I've about got all my goodies together to shoot again :lol: Nah I'm jokin' or am I hehe. Later,

Kirk

slide

Fanatic
Years ago when I was shooting PPC matches a lot of the guys would go and get hypnotized. I tried it. You would try and do it a day before the match. Make a list of what you wanted to focus on and give to the hypnotist and he would plant in your subconscious and give you a trigger word. When you stepped to the line you would say the trigger word and everything would kick into gear. Supposedly!

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Man, outside of Rusty all you guys need to get serious day work! Y'all remind me of Dr. Seuse's "The Thinks you can Think"! Wake up, get some asprin...for the night before, stumble to the shop get the guns and hopefully the right ammo, stumble to the truck, wait for range to pull up along side truck, get out and shoot. Don't make it anything that it isn't. If you need a mental key to shoot well, what cha gonna do when you really "need" to shoot? See your front sight and press the trigger...after that its all gravy, but what would I know about it...I'm still waiting for the range to pull up along side the Truck :lol:

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Wake up, get some asprin...for the night before, stumble to the shop get the guns and hopefully the right ammo, stumble to the truck, wait for range to pull up along side truck, get out and shoot.
This is dangerously similar to my routine. This is me every match starting in the morning for as long as it takes for the big green coffee mug to be emptied. -----> :blink:

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Years ago when I was shooting PPC matches a lot of the guys would go and get hypnotized. I tried it. You would try and do it a day before the match. Make a list of what you wanted to focus on and give to the hypnotist and he would plant in your subconscious and give you a trigger word. When you stepped to the line you would say the trigger word and everything would kick into gear. Supposedly!

Hyponotized? To shoot PPC? I like Kurts method much better.

LStevens

Well-Known Fanatic
"Derek Jeter also wore a thong under his sliding shorts to break out of a slump, just in case some of you guys are in a serious shooting funk! "

I was told it was a required item of clothing in 3 gun! Thanks Taymoor...

LeviTheKid

Active Fanatic
Well for me it's waking up and still being tired.. Then you take a nice dump. Then head to the convenient store to buy a Rockstart Energy Cola and maybe a fruit pie(has to be apple of course). Dad would get something of the same effect. Then you listen to Black Star by Yngwie Malmstein on your way to the range at least once and then followed by any type of good music i.e. Mettalica Journey Seether Avenged Sevenfold Alice in Chains.. And then you get this game plan of being very accurate and taking your time which is seared into your brain but when you hear the beep you think OH CRAP! I GOTTA BEAT DAD! and you shoot faster than you should sacrificing points.. But hey the time was good :p

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
Pre match, I make a quick prayer for safety on the range. When I'm in the hole, I begin to visualize myself shooting, because if you can imagine it, you've already done it. Though, my visualization sucks, hence is the reason why I suck. I need lots of time to think and I don't get it much at a match without looking like a standoffish non shooting SOB. :p

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
Before I get in the truck I ask myself: ammo? revolver? belt? eyes and ears?
It works some of the time.