Prefered rifle stock length for 3gun?

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
So how long does everyone choose to run their stocks and why? I know several like the ace stock that is non adjustable on a rifle length buffer. (I have one of those stocks for sale BTW) But I also know several that run it short and their nose does or is very close to touching the charging handle. Main reason I ask is, I will try and be short, I just built a new rifle and am trying to get back to some dry fire practice routine. It's been since October since I have shot or handled guns much even. So while setting up new rifle I set stock to what I thought felt good. I since noticed it's set a little shorter than my old gun. So not being able to decide I tried some table starts and I fumbled getting the gun to my shoulder about 50% of the time on my old gun. The new gun with stock set shorter felt a little odd cause I had to pull the gun back into my shoulder which I don't think I am used to but getting it shouldered is smoother. Again no dry fire or range time really since October. Going prone the longer setting feels better. I use a razor 1-6 with a forgiving eye box so I could set my scope for the short LOP and then try to remember to pull it out 1 setting if there is a prone stage. Which generally makes your eye closer anyway so eye relief may be about the same I guess but just a thought. I used to run it even longer and seem to be going shorter and shorter by preference I guess. I know my shooting technique has changed a bunch also. Any input would be appreciated. So scrunch it up or stretch it out? Or just shoot the damn thing and shut up already? LOL

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I find the ACE stock length to be comfortable that's why I use it. I like fixed stocks because they are always in the correct position and the last position you set them in. The only time I wish I had an adjustable stock is when shooting the rifle through a 2" tall port which requires you to turn the rifle on its side in order to be a Le to see the target through the optic. Then your not shouldering the gun so it's nice to get the stock shorter and out of your way. I e also broken an adjustable stock when mortaring out getting a stuck case. You can't break or I should say it's tougher to break a fixed stock.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Standard A2 stock. Most other guys over here run Ace skeleton stocks. I guess they're about the same length.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
I like running my stock shorter to square my shoulders to the target better, and nose up near the charging handle. I feel like I can swing and transition easier.

84acb938af3d4ed025b0f1452b64c6c8.jpg

01dd4d828509573db90207309c119e17.jpg

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
ACE fixed stock. I also like the magpul fixed carbine stock on my shorter rifles and now have one on my PCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
Just installed a TACMOD and so far I really like it. It pulls my nose a bit further back from the charging handle then I am used to but the infinite adjustability on a fixed stock is worth it. Plus my beard is thanking me.

LIVE_AGAIN

New Fanatic
Personally I just extend the stock all the way out. Mainly because I'm about 6 feet tall and anything shorter than full length just feels awkward. I also choose to use a scope with a longer eye relief so I need the distance anyway. I use a Luth-AR stock and a U.S. Optics scope.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted something with a little more weight and chose the Magpul UBR. I think I am going against the grain and keeping it a little shorter like I have been running. I am also 6' tall and long arms so a long stock would make since but it just feels odd to me I guess. Also seems I have less muzzle control but I could be overthinking it. I will play with it a little more. But this brings up another thought. Do the rifle length buffers help midigate recoil more than a carbine buffer length? I am running a gutted out carbine buffer and a -10% spring in this gun right now with intermediate gas. It's comparable to my old gun with carbine tube also and mid gas using a JP SCS. So if running a buffer and spring is their really any benefit to having a longer buffer tube?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
59nolimit said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted something with a little more weight and chose the Magpul UBR. I think I am going against the grain and keeping it a little shorter like I have been running. I am also 6' tall and long arms so a long stock would make since but it just feels odd to me I guess. Also seems I have less muzzle control but I could be overthinking it. I will play with it a little more. But this brings up another thought. Do the rifle length buffers help midigate recoil more than a carbine buffer length? I am running a gutted out carbine buffer and a -10% spring in this gun right now with intermediate gas. It's comparable to my old gun with carbine tube also and mid gas using a JP SCS. So if running a buffer and spring is their really any benefit to having a longer buffer tube?
I have one UBR and it's sweet! Might be my favorite adjustable stock.

The bigger tube length or spring/buffer setup doesn't matter. It's all about reciprocating mass.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Jesse. I have tried several spring setups and can't feel much difference with different springs and the gutted buffer and compared to my SCS from my old rifle. The SCS has the lightest white spring in it and it may slightly feel different but very little. Defiantly a difference with full mass carbine buffer and stock spring.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
What comp do you have on your rifle. A quality comp will make the most difference, especially when coupled with a low mass reciprocating system. Comp is one of the places to splurge a little, even the top comps are around $100.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
I am using F1 firearms billet recieve set with a stretch 16 barrel, sentry 7 gas block, JP LMOS, a gutted carbine buffer and a -10% spring. I have the Armalite adjustable comp on it. Before adjusting the comp it pulled hard up and right like normal for a RH shooter. I actually had to go larger than expected, or recommended by Armalite, to get it to shoot flat for me. I think they say 1/8" to 7/64" but I have both top and bottom drilled out to 1/4". I was at 7/64" and it still pulled high right so I turned comp to 1:00 position. Still high right so drilled out to 1/4" now pulled left. Set comp back to level and now the reticle stays pretty close to center when fired. Could improve more with technique I am sure.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
59nolimit said:
I am using F1 firearms billet recieve set with a stretch 16 barrel, sentry 7 gas block, JP LMOS, a gutted carbine buffer and a -10% spring. I have the Armalite adjustable comp on it. Before adjusting the comp it pulled hard up and right like normal for a RH shooter. I actually had to go larger than expected, or recommended by Armalite, to get it to shoot flat for me. I think they say 1/8" to 7/64" but I have both top and bottom drilled out to 1/4". I was at 7/64" and it still pulled high right so I turned comp to 1:00 position. Still high right so drilled out to 1/4" now pulled left. Set comp back to level and now the reticle stays pretty close to center when fired. Could improve more with technique I am sure.
Always. All of us could.

Latest posts