Precision Anodizing in OKC

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Check out my newly anodized Samson Evolution 15" Free Float tube. Kenny at Precision Anodizing on SE 82nd street in OKC did the work. I left a bunch more parts with him so stay tuned!

cb35ab3a.jpg

jtischauser

So they took the original anodizing off first? I am VERY interested in this.

I assume they took it off but I'm not 100% familiar with the anodize process.

It costs $35 for as much stuff as you can stuff in a 30ish" deal. I don't remember the specific size. Each color is obviously a new run do it's $35 per color. Green line this had to be custom mixed with red yellow and blue or something like that so take them a picture if you have a color in mind. I'm getting more green and some blue and red on the next batch.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah the old has to be stripped, you can polish, blast, scotchbrite to change the finish, get things marbleized, splashed all sorts of fun stuff. I have an idea I might play with on my next AR just for grins. One thing to remember though is that the caustic soda they use to strip the anodize will also remove material like little threads so be careful. Later,

Kirk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Like Kirk said it has to come off. The surface isn't electrically conductive so it won't take another coating unless it's bare aluminum. Don't believe me? Grab your ohm meter and check it, if you don't get a zero reading, it ain't anodized. It's pretty easy to strip in a caustic bath and you can always have them plug the holes. If done PROPERLY almost no base metal comes off.

jtischauser

They and I missed the fact that my handguard has little thin steel threads where the screws go in to secure it to the rifle. They may be ruined. If it won't lock down I hope Samson can press in a new set.

I was going to have my LaRue mount done but it has a press fit steel part in the retention devices. I am going to contact LaRue as well as Dawson Precision about getting some unassembled scope mounts and magazine base pads so I can get them done in green too. Then hopefully I can send them back for assembly. Or guess what Accurate Iron will be learning how to do?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse, they should be able to mask off or plug most any feature that needs it. If they can't you need to go somewhere else. Once upon a time I did this for a living. If you need another place let me know. I know of one in town or Tulsa that will know exactly what to do and where. They do close tolerance aerospace stuff all the time, but I'm not sure how big their color selection is, they do some colors I know.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
If I recall correctly the dude in Tulsa's name is Troy something or other, he did a bow riser for the ex pretty cool as it looked like a bird crapped on it LOL

Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
They and I missed the fact that my handguard has little thin steel threads where the screws go in to secure it to the rifle. They may be ruined. If it won't lock down I hope Samson can press in a new set.

I was going to have my LaRue mount done but it has a press fit steel part in the retention devices. I am going to contact LaRue as well as Dawson Precision about getting some unassembled scope mounts and magazine base pads so I can get them done in green too. Then hopefully I can send them back for assembly. Or guess what Accurate Iron will be learning how to do?

Looks tight man.

If you get the Dawsons figured out please let me know, I need some done up as well. Thanks

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I am going to contact LaRue as well as Dawson Precision about getting some unassembled scope mounts and magazine base pads

I can make this happen with the Dawson Bases, unfinished & unassembled.
Let me know how many you want.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Are you offering a one shop stop? I.e getting the basepads anodized as well?
I was offering to get the base pads from Dawson ready to go......non-anodized & unassembled.
If you wanted green you could have Jesse get them done with his.

jtischauser

It easy to disassemble your existing base pads. Just push that detent in with something and slide the cover off. Make sure you go slow and point but in a safe direction.

Latest posts