Practical Rifle @ Oil Capital Saturday 3/1

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
But pure rifle matches aren't very popular in your parts.....I wonder why.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
slemmo said:
But pure rifle matches aren't very popular in your parts.....I wonder why.
Just guessing but I'd say lack of having an organization like USPSA or 3 Gun pushing them and ammo cost versus shooting similar courses of fire with pistol.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
There are plenty of rifle matches around my area. But most are really club level fun days. Some NRA High Power, .22 Tac Rifle, a few that cater to military rifles, and some shilouette rifle. I think multi-gun stuff is popular because you don't have to put all you eggs in one basket. For example, my USPSA pistol and gear work for 3 gun too. If someone shoots high power, that's all the have, plus it's non-gun gear intensive, expensive, slow, and brutally hot in the summer. But I would still shoot it.

AirPig

New Fanatic
Brand new to the competetion scene, and Boomer Shooter! what kind of distances are targets typically shot at a practical rifle match??

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I only shot 2-3 matches and that was 2-3 years ago. We shot to 25 yards most matches and then out to 50 in the classifier.

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
Most stages are 15-25 yards. About every other match a stage or so will have targets @ 50-60+ yards. Some targets have tight shots; others fairly wide open. Emphasis is more on practical vs. competition only. Will teach you how to better run what equipment you have.

AirPig

New Fanatic
I'm guessing paper targets with scoring rings?? I only have an Aimpoint Pro on my rifle, would you guys say I would be at any sort of disadvantage with an unmagnified optic? Or is that what most people run in this type of match?

This may have already been said by someone but, how many rounds would you say to bring? And also my belt is only setup to hold two AR mags, will that work?

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
You should only need 100 rounds, and probably leave with a few if you brought that many. An aimpoint pro is perfect for this match. You will be at no disadvantage. the targets are idpa targets. look em' up if you need to, but basically a big brown silhouette. Two mags is all you should need. I doubt any stage has a round count over 30, but some require a mandatory reload. Bring a pistol and an extra mag if you have one. Usually 20 or less pistol rounds required.

frayluisfan

Fanatic
This is a really cool match for those who have never gone. With around 60-75 rounds of rifle and 20 or so pistol, it's not expensive for those on a budget, and the entry fee is only $12. However, you get five stages, a chance to work with your rifle in fun situations, and the peple who put it on are nice. I'e only been to two, but found them very enjoyable. I plan to go back, schedule permitting.

MarkCh

Well-Known Fanatic
Would I need a sling for this kind of match? And if so, what kind is recommended? I don't have an AR sling, but have been considering one. Just don't know what kind would be best. Thanks for any help!

Latest posts