Ported Barrels and Brakes

Larry Mullican

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a muzzle break on my AR and love what it does to reduce muzzle flip and recoil. However..I have discovered that getting too close to a ported barrel and some muzzle brakes can be a little more than just uncomfortable. I've seen other shooters step back from them and, well, lets just say standard eye and ear protection may not be suitable for others near by. Ringing ears and an eye concussion may result, not to mention flying debris to the sides and rear. A detached retina is not something I want to experience. Indoors in a confined space seems to be the worse place to be.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
So, is there a question in there somewhere?
What are you doing that get's you so close to the business end of a brake?

Larry Mullican

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe a good question would be as a safety concern. Sitting next to some one having a muzzle break on a rifle and keeping score seated next to the shooter at an event for one. Crouched close behind a shooter, as an RO, and the shooting position being under a table and the shooter had a ported barrel on a pistol, and no I do not know what calibre the pistol was. And three some one with a high calibre rifle in the range area next to me that was shooting a ball of fire about three feet out from the the firing line with some major concussion going on. Just sharing experiences Tony. I'd like to see others not have to find out the hard way like I did what some tools of the trade can possibly do. Any one else make those mistake besides me? No blame here at all. Or,.. you'll know you were too close when...ha.

backer

Well-Known Fanatic
Everyone wears eyes and ears at a match.

Everyone knows to stay away from the business end of a rifle.

Whats the problem?

dennishoddy

I shot an indoor match where a shooter was using a carbine with a rolling thunder comp.
as the RO, I quickly realized muffs were not adequate.
Double hearing protection might have made it bearable.

Larry Mullican

Well-Known Fanatic
Well as stated, in regards to standard eye and ear protection, it may not be adequate. I wear prescription polycarbonate safety glasses. A little spit and I was able to pop my eye back into the socket. Ha no problem. Seriously though, I show up at work and every one was like, OMG, what happened to your eye. And your eye looks like... And etc. Have you had that checked out?!! No floaters, no sparks of light, no loss of vision. Just hurts a little bit. Could have been worse, and yes! It is a problem. It's not like the grenade officer in charge said I told you to throw the thing over the wall, not dangle it over the other side! :) ah ha ha , it's like being in a caged fist fight and you take one in the eye. The diff being, you don't get a black eye. :O

Larry Mullican

Well-Known Fanatic
Pancake Rabbit!? "I have no idea what your talking about!" Ha ha Was there a sequel? I heard a stack of pastries was involved. Lets not forget the syrup.

Tharpinator

Well-Known Fanatic
I've spotted many a round out of a M107. Double up on the earpro and continue mission.

And as a word of advice...DON'T lay next to your shooter if you can help it, get behind him. haha

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
This one time, at a match, Feegee squatted to shoot under a wall and his pants split from the crotch to the back belt loop so basically he was wearing chaps with Spiderman underwear.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Tharpinator said:
I've spotted many a round out of a M107. Double up on the earpro and continue mission.

And as a word of advice...DON'T lay next to your shooter if you can help it, get behind him. haha
Absolutely! An old National Guard buddy was doing a demo for the police department where our Armory was after we got our Barret 107s. One round he forgot his muffs. Blacked out got a few seconds after he took the shot. Luckily no permanent hearing damage but ended up with a middle concussion.

Latest posts