Popper Fail!

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
So I went to my first 3Gun match last week and hit a steel popper but it failed to go down. I was shooting 115gr Blazer out of my Glock34. Just starting to get my press components in the mail after five weeks and wanted to know what you guys recommend to ensure that the popper will go down the next time I hit one? I have 2000 FMJHB 115gr Berry's on hand, but should I get some 124gr or even 147gr to get a more potent hit? I will be using Unique powder for my 9mm loading.

Thanks

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
measure power factor of your loads. If they are at least 125pf the popper should fall. If it doesn't, call for a calibration of the popper.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Curtis, those 115grn bullets should be going at least 1087fps.
124grn needs to be at least 1008 & 147grn should be at least 850.

These are absolute minimum velocities to make minor power factor.

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, I guess I need to study up on Power factor, but I guess it's basic physics Mass X Velocity=Power Factor. I guess I need a chrono to verify, do you have one in stock Tony? :)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
CrtsHarris said:
Ok, I guess I need to study up on Power factor, but I guess it's basic physics Mass X Velocity=Power Factor. I guess I need a chrono to verify, do you have one in stock Tony? :)
no sure don't, I use ProChrono

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If you hit a popper below the circle it may not fall. They are "supposed" to be calibrated for those 9mm minor loads in the center or thereabouts but sometimes they get rusty and old and stick. Sometimes they sink into the dirt and lean forward.

Semi pro tip. If you help reset the stage make notes of heavy steel especially when you have to shoot it with a shotgun.

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Tony, another thread was talking about that Prochrono. Wish you had it!

Thanks for the tip Jesse. The popper was also activating a swinger type target, so maybe there was some extra force needed to knock it down. I helped as much as I could resetting the targets, you would have laughed at me trying to figure put how to reset some steel plates on one of those pole thingy's! Haha It was lots of fun though, and some day my learning curve will flatten out a little :)

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Jesse Tischauser said:
If you hit a popper below the circle it may not fall. They are "supposed" to be calibrated for those 9mm minor loads in the center or thereabouts but sometimes they get rusty and old and stick. Sometimes they sink into the dirt and lean forward.

Semi pro tip. If you help reset the stage make notes of heavy steel especially when you have to shoot it with a shotgun.
Setting steel is really just a way of figuring out which plates to swap near/far and which poppers to shoot high.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
Setting steel is really just a way of figuring out which plates to swap near/far and which poppers to shoot high.
Since I have been shooting the 9mm 115gr factory loads I always sty to shoot the poppers on the high side.

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
Curtis, if you watch the video of your first stage in slow motion and zoom in on that activator popper, you can see that your first hit on it was in the lower third of the target. Your next hit on it was in the top third and made it fall.

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
I like to think of that as advanced stage walk-thru. Setting up the stages with the MD is helpful too :D

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah James, I had a look at that too. Just trying to figure out a decent load while I'm prepping brass prior to my Dillon press being delivered. What's your next match that you are planning to attend? I'm up for a road trip after my Atlanta base closes!!

Latest posts