polymer vs steel ?

krglorioso

Well-Known Fanatic
I do have a plastic-framed Walther CCP but at age 84, I echo the sage words of Alfred E. Newman, "What; me worry?".

My 1991 Colt Double Eagle Officers Lightweight ACP has a nice mix of steel and hardened aluminum. It is comfortable for ADC.

Ralph

Trgtshtr19

Fanatic
I purchased a Glock model 17 in the mid 80's and fired approximately 5k rounds through it. Then I took it to Glock in Atlanta a few years ago and the armorer told me that the frame had a crack in it and they would replace it with a Gen 3 frame. After thinking about it I said yes. I really don't know where the crack was but wished I still had my original frame. Like some have said, they are not for everyone but I like all of my firearms ( 1911's included)

Da Rocket

New Fanatic
Here is a story of one Glock salesman in the early 80,s . I had a friend that worked in a very busy medium size gun shop in FL , the owner would not sell a plastic pistol period ! Steel 1911 all the way . After numerous attempts by others to get some shelf space this guy shows up . He convinced the owner to bring a few of his best Colts to the range for a accuracy and durability test , the salesman field strips the Glock throws every piece magazine included at a concrete wall then quickly reassembled and performed two mag dumps . My friend said two weeks later at the bottom of the furthest shelf in the store were 5 Glocks .
I remember those days well. I walked into SLC's Pro-Arms in the mid-80s back when they were in a strip mall and they had one of them newfangled fantastic plastic Safe Action Glock 17s in a Tupperware case with 17 pegged holes for ammo. The salesman was spinning quite a yarn about the world's Next Big Thing and the guy he was trying to sell it to wasn't having any of it. I later bought that gun, then another, then another, and the rest is Glock history. That was the same day I saw and passed up an aluminum framed Hi-Power, but that's another story.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Has any Glock frame built in the 1980's or early 90's degraded to the point where it cannot be shot?

Answer: Not that we know of.

Your gun's polymer frame has a life of at least 30 years. Chuck Taylor's last round count on his G17 from 1988 was 365,000+ rounds.

Trgtshtr19

Fanatic
I remember those days well. I walked into SLC's Pro-Arms in the mid-80s back when they were in a strip mall and they had one of them newfangled fantastic plastic Safe Action Glock 17s in a Tupperware case with 17 pegged holes for ammo. The salesman was spinning quite a yarn about the world's Next Big Thing and the guy he was trying to sell it to wasn't having any of it. I later bought that gun, then another, then another, and the rest is Glock history. That was the same day I saw and passed up an aluminum framed Hi-Power, but that's another story.
I have 4 myself ( 17,20,21 and 42 ) and they all are used. The Glock .45 is one of my softest shooters out of my 6 .45's.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I have both and like both, don't see my Glocks breaking down even during my grandkids lifetime

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
I purchased a Glock model 17 in the mid 80's and fired approximately 5k rounds through it. Then I took it to Glock in Atlanta a few years ago and the armorer told me that the frame had a crack in it and they would replace it with a Gen 3 frame. After thinking about it I said yes. I really don't know where the crack was but wished I still had my original frame. Like some have said, they are not for everyone but I like all of my firearms ( 1911's included)
I have heard that same thing from a few people . I don't know if there is a problem area for 17,s or not. never heard of that with the 19,s . Also I remember when they first came out Glock recomended not leaving them in direct sunlight . They will never be a [1911] but they have there place.

1wildpig

Fanatic
I have heard that same thing from a few people . I don't know if there is a problem area for 17,s or not. never heard of that with the 19,s . Also I remember when they first came out Glock recomended not leaving them in direct sunlight . They will never be a [1911] but they have there place.
I acquired a used Gen 2 G19 back several years ago that had a crack in the frame where it held the trigger mechanism housing... of course, Glock replaced the frame... but it still made you go "Hmm..."
There's pros and cons to both metal and polymer... I like each one for their particular strengths and choose the one I use depending on the particular environment and service in which I need it as best as I can plan...

JB Thug

New Fanatic
Just wondering if anyone here has ever read or heard about a theory I ran across some time ago about polymer pistols . Let me start by saying I do own a few . The guys name I don't remember but he claimed to be a chemical engineer and a self proclaimed gun enthusiast . His theory was quit long , I will give you the condensed version . Basically he was saying that all plastics no matter how good have shelf life , he said the bonding agents used to make the molecules adhere would only hold a certain amount of time. He position was that he thought it intirely possible that the government had initiated. Or backed the first pistols back in the early 80,s about the time Glock came on the seen . His idea was they knew this and if everyone flocked to these guns , they would only have to tax ammo out of most peoples budget and wait, no confiscation nesscary ! I should add he was assuming some kind of hand gun ban .
Poppycock and balderdash! Some plastics degrade quickly - some are as permanent as Limestone, Marble, Wood, Iron, and Granite.
I have a military issue 1911 (Remington Rand) built in 1943. That was the era when wood grip panels were replaced with panels made of brown plastic.

Has anyone found a military issue 1911 where the PLASTIC grips have fallen apart during the past 80 years?

I also have a Gen 1 Glock 17 purchased brand new in 1987- over 100,000 rounds through it in the past 34 years, and the frame hasn't cracked, split, or failed me yet. I did wear out the original STEEL barrel and replaced that about 10 years ago. Explain why barrels don't last "forever" with constant use.

I expect the entire Glock production since 1980 something will remain functional (unless burned or melted) for the next 1,000 years.

JB Thug

New Fanatic
I acquired a used Gen 2 G19 back several years ago that had a crack in the frame where it held the trigger mechanism housing... of course, Glock replaced the frame... but it still made you go "Hmm..."
There's pros and cons to both metal and polymer... I like each one for their particular strengths and choose the one I use depending on the particular environment and service in which I need it as best as I can plan...
I've seen a S&W Model 10 with a cracked frame, at the trigger guard. Nothing lasts forever with routine use.

DaveM

New Fanatic
The 1911's I had when I was in Germany in the late 1960's (Korean War era) rattled like crazy because they were off the rack.
However when the Captain and I went to the range on Friday's I could still hit the human profile target at 50 yards but the Captains
National Match (selected parts, closed sites) could hit the little circle inside the profile. I love to shoot my Rock Island 1911 but it's
me that's wearing out not the 1911. I like my sons M&P 40 and his Glock (why do so many of the reply's start with "My Son's ..." but I don't love them.

I have several plastic guns. Glock, Taurus, and Canik. Out of all of them I actually feel they are so much the same that I have never felt a super appreciation for any of them. I realize they may be just fine but personally I have a preference for an all metal pistol. I have a 1911 and I wouldn't get rid of it unless it was being replaced by another all steel gun. I realize they say the plastic guns are reliable etc. But in order to make them better I have relplaced many of the plastic or acrylic inards with steel parts such as stainless guide rods strikers etc. No MIM parts for me. True they may be good but I prefer billet forged machined steel parts. Expensive, yes but keep in mind these answers from us are just our personal opinions. At this point I honestly must say I had many plastic guns but only have the three left and will be eventually replacing them with all metal. Just my own personal preference.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
The only guns I have that have any poly are Sigs. The rest are steel. For the sake of Pete, No Blocks. Flame me if you will. I heard that Pelosi carry's a Glock in her crouch. She doesn't trust the Capital Police.
Now that is putting plastics to a test...if it can survive that nasty environment no telling...
On a serious note...concur with most on this...take a 100 yr old 1911 clean it oil it it will work most of the time...with plastics only time will tell. Since Glock came out the Israelis have been using them in that environment without any problems. I don't think there is such a thing as a permanent bonding agent....

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Now that is putting plastics to a test...if it can survive that nasty environment no telling...
On a serious note...concur with most on this...take a 100 yr old 1911 clean it oil it it will work most of the time...with plastics only time will tell. Since Glock came out the Israelis have been using them in that environment without any problems. I don't think there is such a thing as a permanent bonding agent....
I only know of one , its called welding ! LOL

Latest posts