polymer vs steel ?

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Just wondering if anyone here has ever read or heard about a theory I ran across some time ago about polymer pistols . Let me start by saying I do own a few . The guys name I don't remember but he claimed to be a chemical engineer and a self proclaimed gun enthusiast . His theory was quit long , I will give you the condensed version . Basically he was saying that all plastics no matter how good have shelf life , he said the bonding agents used to make the molecules adhere would only hold a certain amount of time. He position was that he thought it intirely possible that the government had initiated. Or backed the first pistols back in the early 80,s about the time Glock came on the seen . His idea was they knew this and if everyone flocked to these guns , they would only have to tax ammo out of most peoples budget and wait, no confiscation nesscary ! I should add he was assuming some kind of hand gun ban .

Last edited:

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
My take on this, No. But...............I think the Auto manufactures are on this way ahead of the game. Self destruct so you have to buy a new one.
Along with appliance manufacturers!! My first washer/dryer set lasted 20+ years , I gave it to my brother and it is still going (he washes shop rags with it) now it seems I have to buy new ones every 6-8 years

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Polymers have come a long way and are getting better . I don't believe an average enthusiast could wear out a quality polymer gun such as Glock , Sig , S&W . These aren't dash covers from a 80's GM . Think about how many rounds , under adverse conditions , went thru these guns during military trials . Remember when the gun writers said get an L frame because you'll wear out your trusty model 19 . It also hurt to say quality and polymer gun in the same sentence . I'm about blue steel and gunleather .

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
The only polymer gun I ever shot was my son-in-law's Glock 19. He and I went to the range a few years ago, and I had my solid steel RIA 1911 .45 ACP with me and he had his Glock 19.

Then we switched... He fell in my love with my RIA 1911 and I just couldn't bond with his Glock 19. I don't know why, I couldn't figure it out, but maybe it was the grip angle or something. It just seemed awkward, like I was holding a teeny tiny square 2x4 with a trigger.

SW51

Fanatic
I have a Glock G45 in the nightstand. Loaded HP 9mm. I figure if I use it and the police need it for evidence my 1911 Colt and Sig SS will still be with me...

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
The only polymer gun I ever shot was my son-in-law's Glock 19. He and I went to the range a few years ago, and I had my solid steel RIA 1911 .45 ACP with me and he had his Glock 19.

Then we switched... He fell in my love with my RIA 1911 and I just couldn't bond with his Glock 19. I don't know why, I couldn't figure it out, but maybe it was the grip angle or something. It just seemed awkward, like I was holding a teeny tiny square 2x4 with a trigger.
Glocks feel just like you said . Ergonomically , not for me . Not knocking their reliability or accuracy , they just don't feel right to me . Nothing seems to go on target easier than a 1911 . My Sig 226 is a close second .

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
My son carries a G19 but I just can't do one. I've went in multiple times with a plan to buy one but have never been able to "pull the trigger"
I have however fell in love with my Sig P365XL and I have two other only pistols, a PM30 22mag and a Sar Arms (CZ clone) that I picked up for $125 new for the wife to try a full size 9mm as she only carries 380acp and smaller.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
The Glock is not for everyone, but its reputation as the AK of the pistol world is well deserved ! It will run no matter what you feed it or conditions. Never has so many people torture tested a single manufacture . It still took me 25 years to try one lol, the 19 is a little wide but manageable . The 43 , or 43x is a pretty good cc, altho not quite as comfortable as a sig 938 sas.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is a story of one Glock salesman in the early 80,s . I had a friend that worked in a very busy medium size gun shop in FL , the owner would not sell a plastic pistol period ! Steel 1911 all the way . After numerous attempts by others to get some shelf space this guy shows up . He convinced the owner to bring a few of his best Colts to the range for a accuracy and durability test , the salesman field strips the Glock throws every piece magazine included at a concrete wall then quickly reassembled and performed two mag dumps . My friend said two weeks later at the bottom of the furthest shelf in the store were 5 Glocks .

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I am a chemical engineer . To make a blanket statement like that about plastics is more than a bit misleading . Some plastics in fact can degrade pretty fast under certain conditions. Others will last longer than anyone of our grandchildren might ever know . The other thing that must be considered is the intended purpose for the plastic in question , and if the desired properties are designed into the product. Example: if color stability doesn't matter , are we calling that a failure point?

Often times, life expectancy is determined under what we call accelerated conditions like extreme pressure , temperature, UV exposure, salt water , humidity, the list goes on . The problem with extreme testing is that it only proves whether something will last as long as a reference product under the same conditions . Rarely can one develop a correlation from such studies to predict real time longevity. But you can categorize them in a relative fashion. If you know A can double the life of B in extreme conditions, and you have had B in real life service for a long time, it's safe to say A will last longer than B.

We have stuff sitting on the ocean floor that will outlast all of us . I'd go all in on the polymer firearms being able to hold up.

Latest posts