polish a slide or recoat?

tacticalj

Well-Known Fanatic
So my G23 has some wear on it and I was thinking about polishing it, or having it done or something. What is everybodies thoughts on this? I kinda like the look of the polished slide over the black frame, with a chrome or polished pin and takedown kit! I was even thinking about doing the frame in OD or FDE or something other then black for a more one off thing.

I've been reading alot on the polishing thing and I did a little around the area that was worn through. Wow, that will take alot of work! Not sure if that is for me, but then again I was just using my dremel. I think I can get with my buddy that has a buffer setup, cuz he makes knifes, and see what we can get accomplished.

Anybody think that it will be an issue to duracoat or cerakoat over it if it doesn't turn out? I'm not thinking that I'll get a mirror finish and probably don't want one, but I'm just thinking something different and it won't cost alot to do except time.
Thanks guys and i'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I've got a G23 with a polished slide and I'm planning on sending it to honeybee to have him re-blue it. It will stain as it is now. Also, I'm just not sure I'm a fan of the look.

Chambers

actual GM
I burst into uncontrollable fits of laughter when I see a polished GLOCK slide. :)

Leave it be or cerakote it.

Polish it to your hearts content, if you dont like it and decide to get it coated a quick trip to the blast cabinet will prep it .

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I burst into uncontrollable fits of laughter when I see a polished GLOCK slide. :)

Leave it be or cerakote it.

I hear ya. I bought this one because it seemed like a good deal. I was thinking the polished look would grow on me. It hasn't.

Chambers

actual GM
I hear ya. I bought this one because it seemed like a good deal. I was thinking the polished look would grow on me. It hasn't.

Like putting 20"s on your '84 Buick Regal.

2010+Buick+Regal.jpg

tacticalj

Well-Known Fanatic
LMAO I always love to hear what people have to say about that! Really though, what's wrong with 20's on a Regal? I mean seriously you put $5000 worth of wheels and tires on a $2000 car, at best. I don't know, just thought it might be an interesting peice of kit.

Rick417

www.performanceholsters.com
I have always liked the two tone look. I impulse bought a Para once just because the way the slide looked.

I polished my G35 to match it and immediately decided that I didn't like it. Then I taped it off and blasted it for more of a matte look.

I am thinking of having it refinished but just haven't decided on a color/process or who to send it to.

g35.jpg

Here is what I was copying.
DSCN2325.jpg

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
How about a green parkerized finish like the old military gun look or a little more modern like the green Mil-Spec Springfields.

Rick417

www.performanceholsters.com
Yeah, Parkerized has actually crossed my mind. I may have to give that some thought. Approx how long would the turn around be?

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, Parkerized has actually crossed my mind. I may have to give that some thought. Approx how long would the turn around be?
I do a finish called a Stealth Black which is a double conversion coating, much stronger and better looking than parkerizing and definatly better looking than the original Glock finish
Turn around for my work usually runs a couple of weeks after I get your gun.
$110 for Parkerize and $140 for Stealth Black, Check out my website for examples.

To copy the gun that you were looking at copying I can do that in a brushed nickle on the slide and a coated finish to match on the frame, I can mask the grip to look like the wrap around grips or just the side texture to give you more of a unique example. Send your Mags so they will match. $265 for everything.

tacticalj

Well-Known Fanatic
I almost got my duracoat done.....well actually it is done, I'm just waiting on the new sights. It sucks that the factory night sights are staked in the front and not really reusable. I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple days.

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought that factory night sights on the front of a glock were put on with the little hex head screw like all other front glock sights.
I have the tool for replacing glock sights but never came across any that were staked on.

BravoOne

Founding Member
I had a Glock 23 with factory installed Trijicons and it was staked/pressed in... Pair of pliers solved that real quick... (Was installing XS Big Dots on them anyhow)

tacticalj

Well-Known Fanatic
Bought new mepro's and am pretty much done with it. Need to get off my lazy butt and take pics! Turned out decent for my second duracoat job.

tacticalj

Well-Known Fanatic
So this is how it turned out. Not horrible for my second time at spraying duracoat. I did find that the blue 3m fine line tape works alot better then the standard green masking tape for doing the detail work. On the opposite side, I also painted the extractor OD for a little bit of off set on the slide. I originally painted the sights OD as well, after taping off the tritium dots, but then discovered that I could not reuse the original staked front sight. I replaced them with Mepro lights. I also added a small touch of "pimp" with a titanium pin set.
200ftcg.jpg

2ueo1gj.jpg

Latest posts