Point Value of MGM Spinners at matches

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm planning (hoping) to go to the MGM Ironman in 2016 and in the course of watching videos, I see use of the spinners. They look like a lot of fun and I may end up buying one, them being fairly inexpensive compared to many other steel funsies MGM makes. Additionally, I think my club may end up buying one or two. My question is, what kind of point value is assigned to getting the thing over, or penalty for failing to do so that actually makes it worth the time and effort to get it done?

toothandnail

Well-Known Fanatic
Usually between 30 & 60 seconds, we usually do 30 at our matches.

We haven't used one in a pistol portion yet, most likely won't, but it is fun to practice with.

Shotgun and rifle aren't hard to spin, the guys who fail - 90% get flustered and shoot the wrong plate, stopping the whole process.

It's amasing how many will also start shooting the center bar

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
It doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to do with a rifle or shotugn, but I'm thinking a devious (A nice euphamism) stage designer could wreak havoc on the nerves of us poor little Production shooters in a USPSA match ith one. 60 seconds seems like a good time for pistol, but then again, I've never shot one so 60 seconds may be worth popping a round at it and moving on for many.

toothandnail

Well-Known Fanatic
The reason we haven't done a pistol spinner ( we built our 2 for SG and rifle) There is a BIG difference in how many rounds it takes between 9mm (11 hits) & .40 (6 hits). This was at about 15yds. Compared to 3 hits with SG, 1445 fps, 1/18 oz #7 -8 shot, at the same distance. Keep in mind these are GOOD hits, in non-match shooting. For some reason that buzzer usually wreaks havoc on the number of shots it takes. :sarcastichand:

A lighter wt. pistol spinner would be easier to spin than our heavier ones. . . . . HMMMM

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It wouldn't be a legal target in a uspsa match.
David Marlow said:
It doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to do with a rifle or shotugn, but I'm thinking a devious (A nice euphamism) stage designer could wreak havoc on the nerves of us poor little Production shooters in a USPSA match ith one. 60 seconds seems like a good time for pistol, but then again, I've never shot one so 60 seconds may be worth popping a round at it and moving on for many.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I don't think I have ever seen one that was a pistol target, only a rifle and shotgun target. With really good hits, I have spun them with 2 shots from a shorgun, and 6 from a rifle. But I have also seen guys dump 2 rifle mags at one shooting the wrong plate at the wrong time and stopping them.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Why not? Is it because the point value for a single target in a stage would be too high? I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the scorig system. I just figured out finally how to calculate hit factor.

its not a legal target, its the same as having a clay pigeon, or putting an empty coke can on a stick in an ipsc match and saying, ok, 10 points if you hit that.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Because it takes multiple hits to successfully complete the target. With paper, multiple required hits are fine because you're scored for each required hit. Steel must be able to be "knocked down" with a single hit. Uspsa doesn't score per target, it's per required hit for the stage, with each hit being worth a max of 5 points (alpha).

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
In fact, in the uspsa rules, if you hit a steel plate & it moves & doesn't fall, it's a range malfunction. If you hit a popper & it doesn't fall & is then shot for calibration & doesn't fall, it's a range malfunction. If it does fall from a single calibration shot, it's scored as a miss.

Aside from all this, uspsa is very specific about what a legal target is. They're specifications are in the back of the rule book.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Tony has it.

The rules are 4.3 - Approved Handgun Targets - Metal
9.5.1 ...Scoring Metal targets must be shot with a minimum of 1 round each and must fall to score.

Appendices B1 though B5 Pictures and measurements/dimensions for targets listed in 4.3

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Tuflehundon said:
In laymens terms it just doesn't fit into the scoring system used in USPSA. 3gun is time + so it works.
Bingo

1911-45

Well-Known Fanatic
At my 3 gun match it's 60sec penalty if you don't spin it. Most guys get it over in 2-3. I tested it with my 9mm and got it to spin easy 8-10 shots@15yards but the problem was when you hit the top while spinning back it skipped the bullets way over the berm! We only use it for shotgun target.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks much for the explanation on that. MC, I can see how that might be a problem, especially at my club where the berms really aren't that high on most bays.

Latest posts