Pocket knives......

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Curious if anyone here still carry a pocket knife?

New job is going to change a few things for me. Going to go back to a "pocket dump" prior to starting the workday. Unauthorized toolsm, keys, knives, and such are left in locker.

I'm not talking about a "pocket clip" folder, I'm talking about an old Case or what ever.
Here are a few of mine, I don't have many. Top two on left were my Grandpa's, the US Calimus was one I carried for years in the military. There is a Cub Scouts and a Boy Scouts knife and a Case that I carry often.

00BD19A1-6BF8-40FB-A1BA-D6CBFA13EAC8.jpeg

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
That's a nice collection.

The only time a carry a "pocket knife" is at a stadium or other event that requires a minimal blade size and no pocket clip. I removed the clip from my smallest and cheapest Gerber in case of confiscation I'm not out much.
8C5C8D03-05F0-4C5D-A0B0-5502F9A5FCC1.jpeg23856FF2-E38D-423F-A1F3-0FD2E1A29019.jpeg In comparison to my new favorite "pocket knife"
2888EDE5-0D37-4CAC-A7D5-78F2ED3476BF.jpeg E56EDBB0-89C9-4243-BAA3-79857223D265.jpeg

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
When bird hunting or I cant have a clip showing a carry a similar Case. One blade is for utilitarian tasks, the other for cleaning birds.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an old little Remington that I used to carry when I couldn't carry one of my larger folders. You know dress up occasions and such. I used to carry it all the time with my change but the blade has been sharpened so many times over the years you can catch the tip with your finger and I've sliced my fingers numerous times. So now it's relinquished to safe duty as it has been passed down from family members.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Loving those Scout knives @Bender! I had one of each, and still have a Scout sheath knife.
I quit carrying a pocket knife when I retired, and started carrying a larger Kershaw folder in cargo pants/shorts, which I wear everyday except Sunday.

The Gerber automatic was given to me by a friend with a knife shop when they were giving them away as samples to dealers. It's the Amazon box opener. The black Buck folder I gave my dad in 1974 and got it back when he passed in '95. Sandvick was a customer and gave me that Sandvik Steel folder. It's actually a very nice knife. The wee Case folder was given me by my dad in the 70's, and the Swiss I carried for years was given me by sister at her wedding in '89.

I stumbled into the Boker folder at the bottom last year. My dad carried it all my life and I thought it was gone after he died twenty years ago. It appeared in a box of "things" at my mom's house last year. I was speechless when I saw it.

fullsizeoutput_ad1.jpeg

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I always carry my dad's old 1973 Schrade 787 "Improved Muskrat" pocket knife. I will NEVER be seen without it! :D The story behind this little pocket knife is very dear to me, and all these years later, still almost brings a tear to my eye....

It was back in 1973 way up in the Adirondack Mts of northern New York on a camping trip with my family. I remember going with my dad to the local store nearby and he picked up this pocket knife in the store. He cut my fishing line with it, whittled with it, did everything with it. After the camping trip, he kept it in his pants pocket. Everywhere he went, the Schrade 787 was in his pants. IBM business trips dressed in a suit & tie. Flying in an airplane down to Texas for an electrical engineers conference, and the pocket knife was still in his pants pocket. Helping me scrape off the water pump gasket on my old Plymouth Satellite car in high school, and again, he whipped out the Schrade 787 from his pocket and helped me out...

Sadly, in May of 2002, at 80 years of age, my dad passed away from congestive heart failure. When me and my older sisters all rushed down to be with our mom, she told me that he still had the Schrade 787 in his pocket in the hospital. My mom looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "He wanted you to have this..." and held out the pocket knife for me. I took the Schrade 787 and put in my pocket, hugged my mom, and well... I'm not ashamed... I just fell apart... :(

It may be a little Schrade 787 that's probably worth $25 bucks (if that), but to me it is absolutely priceless!!!

w4R7ky8.png

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Great to hear the story behind some of the old knives.

I have a Gerber, a little cheapie that I used to carry twenty some years ago. I lost it, and never tmought much more about it. A friend showed up at the ffice one day and laid it on my desk. He said he found it in the bilge of his boat. He had cleaned it out before he sold it. I remember helping him retire the starter solenoid a few years before. We lost Chris a few months later. I don't carry that one anymore.

Ethanol Red

Well-Known Fanatic
I always carry the little Swiss Army knife in my pocket. Normally I have a real knife too, but always one of the little pen knives as well. I use the scissors and toothpicks often. You can't get into secured areas even with that tiny thing however. I had quite an experience having forgotten about it in my pocket.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have many knives but for most of the last year I find myself as right now with an OTF $35 knife from S Korea, very sharp, works great, carbon steel, looks horrible but about the easiest to use of any I ever had. When I lost my Benchmade cutting hay string in the snow I did not replace it, I looked almost 3 yrs for it. My new hay knife is a $1 ONE dollar I sharpen with a file... The OTF for daily carry, it got attached very fast to me, I have to make myself carry a different one. Also carry a Keene Cutter sheath knife some.

Last edited: