Springfield Armory Plastic mainspring housings

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Since it didn't sell well, I guess that's what the market thought about the idea. Leaky manifolds are expensive to fix.

Just wondering @Marc are you an automotive service tech? Sorry to see it but plastic is eating into many traditional parts made from aluminum.
Did any one read about Henry Fords attempt to use The Polymer type substance made from Hemp? If it had caught on we may have automobiles made with
a substance impervious to impact, Rust, crazing all good things made without 1 drop of Dinosaur Blood.

There are alternatives to plastic from natural resins, but they are more costly to make than Plastic so many never come to market. Can you imagine the classic car market? Cars that just hung around? Rust is making classics hard to find today. The whole Automotive world would be much different if that 1 man did
not say in, some smoky back room meeting where the manufactures decided not to use anything other than Steel. Steel rust & needs to be replaced
& that's the real story of why we do not have Potcicle cars that last forever.

As for automotive use. I have seen to many inexpensive plastics used for profit reasons & not safety concerns leading the way. &
after spending my life in Shops Repairing Bikes & cars since early 70s I have seen Automobiles becoming cheaper more than ever
a throwaway car for the future. I do have a 29013 Subaru, but I also have a 1969 Chevy C/10 a 1970 Chevy Impala & a 1970 Chevy Nova
all mostly Steel with no onboard Computer other than ME. 2, 350s & a 307 Cast iron Intake manifolds & Exhaust manifolds.

The way the intake on the Boxer is on the Subaru is uses Plastic pipes to feed the engine that seems to resist too much heat.
A pitch for Aluminum, I believe uif Subaru used Aluminum for the intake it would be more useful by retaining heat & not cracking.

0 cracking = no air leaks & staying hotter would help atomize Gasoline better.

Marc

Active Fanatic
Mike A1: I'm a mechanical engineer, born and educated in Detroit auto business. Retired now from work on heavy turbomachinery. You have some correct observations, I believe. Haven't kept up with SAE since I left Detroit.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Mike A1: I'm a mechanical engineer, born and educated in Detroit auto business. Retired now from work on heavy turbomachinery. You have some correct observations, I believe. Haven't kept up with SAE since I left Detroit.
I don't know about the 1911 you are talking about. Can you not just replace the plastic MSH with a std. 1911 replacement?
Years ago at a gun show I ran across a 1911 made in South America, I had to know if std. American made 1911 parts would interchange.
Some did while others did not, so this in the reason I judge all 1911s other than Colt with this must have to make the grade.

All 9 of my Colt 1911s will work with Mil spec replacement parts. I bought a Sig. P250 & to this day cannot get spares to stock back, not
a real plus in my world of Firearms ownership. Let's face it, there is not a lot if anything you can do to a 1911 to make it better other than work on
pretty. I think the 1911 is pure perfection shown in the examples below. The 1911 is already the perfect pistol. Why add plastic to an already
perfect mix of metal magic JMBs gift to all Mankind for centuries to come???

If I ever get a RAY gun, I want it to look like the 1911 :D

M1911andM1911A1.jpg

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never had issues with the Delrin MSH that Colt uses, have seen a few Kimber plastic msh failures. If the price is right and its a 1911 I wanted, I sure wouldn't let the msh material stop ME from my purchase. That said, all my current 1911s are wearing steel / aluminum msh.

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
STI used plastic main spring housings in their single stack carry 1911's in a lot of their models. No issues whatsoever.

Sk8r

Active Fanatic

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
... and no barrel, LoL! Seriously though, the upper handguard depicted looks like it is synthetic ("fiberglass" aka 'glass-filled polymer").
Funny how some dwell on the plastic grips found on some 1911A1s to indicate some how the M14 & the 1911 have Plastic parts.
Both the M14 & the 1911 have had wooden handguard & grips deployed.

A Glock has a plastic frame a 1911 has a steel frame, an M16 has plastic parts sooo.

Soo what's yer point? o_O

FormerFD

Fanatic
My SA Operator Elite 1911 10mm came with a plastic , flat MSH. I switched it out for a steel arched MSH with lanyard ring.

Difficult gun. Everything very tight to include an extremely tuned extractor. So far it will only handle standard pressure ball ammo.