Springfield Armory Plastic mainspring housings

Marc

Active Fanatic
I haven't taken apart the new SA Ronin to see yet, but does it use the nylon plastic mainspring housing like the SA 1911's and the lower end Kimber 1911's? If they do I'm a no buy.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I haven't taken apart the new SA Ronin to see yet, but does it use the nylon plastic mainspring housing like the SA 1911's and the lower end Kimber 1911's? If they do I'm a no buy.
I looked at a Ronin Operator at a local shop. The mainspring housing was stainless steel. I'm with you on the plastic ones. In my opinion, plastic parts don't belong on a 1911.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I haven't seen a Ronin. But buy the reviews I've read they are pretty good. If I got one I'd change out the MSH for a Stan Chen SI MSH, and the trigger too if it was plastic. I'm surprised Springfield put a plastic MSH on it. I didn't know that.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
My very first 1911 was a Kimber (sorry didn't know any better) custom II that I still have, I'll always keep it because it is actually an excellent firearm. That said it had a plastic msh but it was easy enough to change it out for one Steve O gave me when I was at his place one time.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I've seen plastic composite MSH on lots of 1911s , Kimber , Remington , S A , Armscor , etc. My Kimber Super Carry Pro has a steel MSH in it . Plastic must be cheaper , if you're carrying a 1911 you're not worried about weight . I've never seen one fail . A local smith told me the only one he's seen fail was because the gun was dropped on a concrete floor . Any way you look at , it's a simple switch . Not a deal breaker for me .

Marc

Active Fanatic
I've seen plastic composite MSH on lots of 1911s , Kimber , Remington , S A , Armscor , etc. My Kimber Super Carry Pro has a steel MSH in it . Plastic must be cheaper , if you're carrying a 1911 you're not worried about weight . I've never seen one fail . A local smith told me the only one he's seen fail was because the gun was dropped on a concrete floor . Any way you look at , it's a simple switch . Not a deal breaker for me .
Yeah my smithy has seen them fail. When the nylon gets old it gets dry and brittle. Delrin holds up a little better.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
At first I thought Colt put a plastic MSH on my Commander for weight. However I used my last Colt Aluminum Blk. MSH on my 2011 Government Model
to replace it's Plastic MSH. :eek: So who knows, I am just glad I did stock pile a few Colt replacement MSHs. I Hate Plastic :p In me Cars, Bikes & Guns .
Can't tell me Colt used plastic to save weight, they did it to $ave the money I'll bet.

I know my Intake is plastic on my 2013 Subaru Boxer 6 engine, but I still have metal pistons. I hope :rolleyes:....

Marc

Active Fanatic
WOW that's enlightening. But back to 1911's: These are not Glocks. Picture going to WWI & WWII with plastic parts in your service handgun. We might have lost the wars! Yes the M&P Sigs use polymer frames today, but it's not the same nylon as in the MSH.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
GM has been using them for years on LS motors , at least since 2009 . Quite a few others too . I believe the Cobalt and HHR also . I worked at GM dealership body shops and replaced a few that were front end hits . They're more common than not .
When the dodge neon was introduced in 1994 it had one of the first production cars with a plastic manifold system.
Lots of aftermarket systems now also, Fast industries is a leader in composite manifold systems!

Marc

Active Fanatic
When the dodge neon was introduced in 1994 it had one of the first production cars with a plastic manifold system.
Lots of aftermarket systems now also, Fast industries is a leader in composite manifold systems!
Since it didn't sell well, I guess that's what the market thought about the idea. Leaky manifolds are expensive to fix.