pistol safety modification keeps it on safe

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
Has anyone seen or used a 2011 or 1911 safety that you have to keep your thumb
On and pressed down or it pops back up to safe? I saw one somewhere online, wondered how well it worked to prevent dumping a pistol not on safe.

its a gimmick. dont substitute a gadget or some cutesy little modification for your brains and not paying attention to what youre doing. Nobody on this forum or country goes that fast when they dump a firearm.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
I modified my safety to click safe whenever I remove my thumb. It took a little trial and error but I'm satisfied with the results.

I see where Glenn Rasch with Lone Star Innovations is now offering this on custom builds with plans on offering sales of the safety by itself. What is neat about his safety is the sear contact point is adjustable with a set screw which means simpler initial installation and that it can be used over and over again should you change out sears in the future.

Bill

Flatland Shooter said:
I modified my safety to click safe whenever I remove my thumb. It took a little trial and error but I'm satisfied with the results.

I see where Glenn Rasch with Lone Star Innovations is now offering this on custom builds with plans on offering sales of the safety by itself. What is neat about his safety is the sear contact point is adjustable with a set screw which means simpler initial installation and that it can be used over and over again should you change out sears in the future.

Bill
folks been doing this for decades

I know nuthang...I already admit that...and to this point I've only shot glocks ans m&p..so please excuse my ignorance
My question was everyone ive known has a pinned grip safety on their 2011? I've assumed that meant it's always off?
So instead of altering the thumb safety to hold it down while you shoot (which sounds difficult as **** to me) if understood correctly? to make sure it's on safe when you grounded it in a 3gun match
Why not just use the grip safety as intended and unpin it?

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
The grip safety is a trigger block and not a sear block like the thumb safety (I'm not the gunsmith in the family)? If ditched a bit too rough it could still cause a discharge of the firearm with out the trigger being moved.

passive safety vs. manual safety.

I dont follow the fine print as far as whats legal, etc. because 1911/2011's are grounded thousands of times ever year without a dq.

Jason, grip safeties are pinned usually because a shooters grip style might not always engage it during shooting.

10-4...I learn something every day, retention is another story altogether...thanks fellas

Latest posts