Pistol caliber carbine question

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw some of yall posting about buying pistol caliber carbines, but why would/do you want one? Does the extra barrel length provide better ballistics? Is the range of that particular caliber improved by the longer barrel and associated twist rate? Is it just another way of preparing for TEOTWAWKI?

I'm just curious as to the reasons for buying one.

Schultz

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had a carbine that was in 357 and it was a fun rifle to just go goof off with. Personally I would say just for plinking but there is Cowboy action shooting, They use pistol calibers.

BTW what the hell is TEOTWAWKI?

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I should have differentiated between rimmed and rimless cartridges...my primary thought was 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. My dad has a Marlin in .44 mag and an Italian made SA revolver in .44 mag.

Personally, I love the idea of having something like a .357 revolver and lever action; makes buying bullets a whole lot easier for the mrs. when she goes grocery shopping! Lol. But how do shorter cartridges benefit from a carbine?

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
If it's speed you're looking for then a carbine is the ticket. For example in a 9" barreled 10mm rifle with I can achieve 1500FPS w/o much effort. Very small & lightweight combo to hunt medium sized game. The 44 mags yield more speed as well plus a longer sight radius vs a pistol. Another benefit is the muzzle blast is moved away from your face (in most cases) compared to a revolver.

With the 9mm guns I don't really feel the need for speed but often just the opposite as I shoot them suppressed.

I enjoy shooting shoulder fired weapons more than pistols so it's a personal preference thing. Huh, guess that explains why I have 7 of them in the safe, wow I had a little epiphany sort of thing there.

melloyello

Well-Known Fanatic
Its cheaper to shoot and plinker handgun cartridges...

However, I am on the rimmed cartridge side, 357/38 & 44.
Been considering the Ruger m77 in 357 or 44 and m96/99 44mag.
But they are limited capacity 357 bolt but it has about the same barrel length as my levers.

As to rimless, been contemplating JR carbines.
Nice to have my handgun rounds and mags convertible to a rifle.

AND cheaper MEANS more time shooting!!!

Would love to see some comparison data (velocities) between revolvers, pistols and rifles.

melloyello

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
My uncle has a Ruger .44 Magnum carbine, looks like a 10/22 on steroids. It was a pretty nice rifle to shoot and made for a nice brush gun to hunt with.

I'd like to compare the kick between the Ruger 44 Carbine and my Marlin 1894 44 Mag Lever.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
the carbine, being semi auto using some of the recoil up in operating the bolt, should have less recoil.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
That Ruger is pretty smooth, didn't seem much on recoil or muzzle climb. I don't think they have made them for a long time now, wonder why?
The original tube feed rifles used a very complex lift mechanism which was expensive to machine and fit. They were out for production for a while then Ruger introduced a new version with their rotary box mag.

The only other thing about them is the gas system requires the use of jacketed bullets, so much for shooting cheap home made cast projectiles.

melloyello said:
I'd like to compare the kick between the Ruger 44 Carbine and my Marlin 1894 44 Mag Lever.
I can arrange that!

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
You guys are talking about the Ruger Deerslayer. I have seen one...ever. I think it is the number one product request Ruger gets, but they just could never get it to work right. I know if I found a nice clean one, I'd jump on it.

As far as pistol/carbine combos, I think the idea os awesome. Is it perfect, not really, but I always wished I nabbed a PC9 and a P89 Ruger set years ago. Just seems like an easy and fun idea.

Hmm...sounds like Ruger keeps making guns I like but don't buy. Seems like a bad habit.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Torontogosh said:
You guys are talking about the Ruger Deerslayer. I have seen one...ever. I think it is the number one product request Ruger gets, but they just could never get it to work right.
Mine runs like a sewing machine as long as I stick full power magnum ammo down the magazine tube.

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
I envy you. I always thought they were super cool, but never managed to wrangle one.

ReefShark

Well-Known Fanatic
I finally broke down and picked up a gun on my bucket list. I am the proud owner of a Sterling Assault Rifle. She is a beauty. I can't wait to get her out to Boggy Head this weekend.

11faaccc.jpg

8f46c247.jpg

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
A funny tidbit of movie history:

The stormtroopers of Star Wars fame used the Sterling SMG as their blaster rifles. They added a scope of sorts, a couple of little doohickeys and a stubby magazine about the size of a 10 round staggered to it. Sterlings are kind of like a cadillac child of the old Stens of WWII. Nice firearm there, don't forget to give us an after range report on it! ;)

Gr8shot

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 40 cal that uses the Glock mags. Its a great little carbine that shoots well. Its been 100% reliable, its fairly accurate, but recoil is surprisingly stout for a pistol caliber carbine. Best thing is it folds in half to 16" length so it will fit in a pack or even in some of my storage compartments in my truck.

Latest posts