Perceived recoil of railed vs non-railed 1911 Government

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I was shooting my Dan Wesson Valor Government and Nighthawk Enforcer yesterday. I must say that I thought the Valor was softer shooting with the same ammunition (Federal American Eagle 230 grain FMJ). Perhaps the weight of the rail changes the equation?

What do you think of recoil in railed and non-railed 1911s?

Please do not respond with wasteful responses like "Railed 1911's are not 1911's" or "My religion excludes railed 1911's." I want useful information.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I believe it's simple physics, any weight increase in the launcher will help dampen perceived recoil.
A 4.5" inch 44 mag will seem to recoil more than one with a 7.5" barrel, weight not barrel length.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Any extra weight, especially forward of the trigger should reduce recoil. (In my personal non expert opinion). Flange barrel guns were a hit, theory being adding the weight would help with recoil.

Pretty sure the Prophet did not carry a railed gun though. o_O :cool: Own and shoot what you enjoy!

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
For sure the extra weight will help the gun be more controllable. Nighthawk makes the Predator with a flanged barrel to do just that. Les Baer makes the Monolith. I'm pretty sure the rail makes a difference in the way recoil is felt..

Latest posts