Over Compensating?

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
Had so much fun at the recent 3 gun match that I'm looking to upgrade my rifle for next time. As no one really makes any upgrades for my gun besides compensators, and that is basically all I can do to it right now anyways...

Which compensator is best?

SJC Titan

JP compensator

JP Recoil Eliminator

Rolling Thunder Compensator

They are all in the $100 range. The SJC and JP Compensators are probably the nicest looking. The Rolling thunder and JP recoil Eliminator are butt ugly but they work I suppose?

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Titan or the Rolling Thunder. Titan is crazy loud, rolling thunder is just loud. There's been some converts in OKC from the RT to the Titan.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I haven't been as offended by being hit by the redirected gas from the Rolling Thunder as I have from the Titan.

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
well, seems like titan is what most people like most... guess my next round of side work will be spent on one of those.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have been shooting the Rolling Thunder and am switching to the SJC Titan. It's the best out there. Order it from www.cpwsa.com and tell him BoomerShooter.and/or Jesse recommended his store. You may or may not get a deal on it but I'm hoping Chris sees our buying power and sponsors the site and gives us discounts in the future. Thanks!

scooterj

Well-Known Fanatic
The Miculek brake will give you the most bang for your buck. The JP Recoil Eliminator (only legal in Open division)is the only brake that really does a better job than the Miculek, in my opinion. Recoil is very subjective. Shoot as many as you can before you decide. Rolling Thunder would be my second choice.

KyleFarnham

Well-Known Fanatic
Which compensator is best?

SJC Titan

JP compensator

JP Recoil Eliminator

Rolling Thunder Compensator

They are all in the $100 range. The SJC and JP Compensators are probably the nicest looking. The Rolling thunder and JP recoil Eliminator are butt ugly but they work I suppose?

If want to keep my rifle with iron sights (tactical division?), which of these is legal for that division?

scooterj

Well-Known Fanatic
If want to keep my rifle with iron sights (tactical division?), which of these is legal for that division?
The JP Recoil Eliminator is legal in Open only. As long as the diameter is 1.00" or less and length is 3.00" or less the rest should be legal.

KyleFarnham

Well-Known Fanatic
Have you guys had any experience with this JP compensator?
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPTRE-2

I heard good things from a friend and have narrowed it down between this or the Titan.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Have you guys had any experience with this JP compensator?
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPTRE-2

I heard good things from a friend and have narrowed it down between this or the Titan.

I started with that JP comp on my CTR-02 rifle. It works well but not as well as the longer comps with 3 expansion chambers like the rolling thunder or titan. I have an older almost worn out one you are welcome to try.

uscbigdawg

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the JP (above) on my 18" rifle and it's really sweet. I probably could make the rifle perfect by going to a lightened carrier, but it runs all day as is, and reliability is much important to me. On my new rifle (16" 1:8 mid gas) as well as on my HM rifle, I'm running the Rolling Thunder. I go back and forth on switching to a Titan, but after practicing with the HM rifle yesterday and shooting 414 PF loads with it being flat, I can't complain.

Rich

KyleFarnham

Well-Known Fanatic
I started with that JP comp on my CTR-02 rifle. It works well but not as well as the longer comps with 3 expansion chambers like the rolling thunder or titan. I have an older almost worn out one you are welcome to try.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I am sold on the Titan.
I'll have to wait to buy it though, since I just bought some .223 reloading gear. :D

Latest posts