Outside the Waistband

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I can't do it. I want to and I always buy expensive holsters and throw them away. I guess is has to do with having to cinch your belt up tight or something.

Inside the waistband for me. Anyone else?

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I actually do OWB every now and then. Depending on what I am doing it is a little easier on me. It does have its merit.... really gotta have a good belt for it though.

dennishoddy

I have a IWB Don Hume leather for right side carry. I'm 90% amidexerious, so on occasion at the farm, I'll carry it on the left side, OC (weak side for you challenged shooters :D)

It doesn't seem too much of an issue, and I want to order another to OC on the right side to see if I like it.

I pocket carry a Keltec .380 on the right side, and always thought If I took a hit to the right arm, the left would still have access to the other pistol.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Burk Cornelius said:
I can't do it. I want to and I always buy expensive holsters and throw them away. I guess is has to do with having to cinch your belt up tight or something.

Inside the waistband for me. Anyone else?
Next time, instead of buying an expensive holster and throwing it away, just send me the money via Paypal and we'll call it even.

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
OWB for me most of the time. I run an Ares Ranger Belt and a high and tight kydex holster with my Shield or FS M&P. when I do run IWB it's appendix carry...

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I'm a skinny dude so I can hide a 1911 OWB under a large t-shirt if I hike my pants up a little.

I quit doing that though. I'm trying to standardize on junk carry.

slider

Hired Gun
poopgiggle said:
I'm a skinny dude so I can hide a 1911 OWB under a large t-shirt if I hike my pants up a little.

I quit doing that though. I'm trying to standardize on junk carry.
So that is one no vote for the "Erkle" method. LOL

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I was carrying OWB almost exclusively for about 7 months due to a kydex failure on my IWB holster. That rig has since been replaced and I now carry pretty much exclusively appendix again.

With that said, the golden key to the crapper is a quality belt, and a quality holster. I carried a full-size M&P under everything from t-shirts to jackets and, while the bottom edge of the holster did make an appearance from time to time, it always felt secure on my Ares Ranger. With that said, a tuckable appendix rig is my preferred carry method.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Michael Ray said:
I was carrying OWB almost exclusively for about 7 months due to a kydex failure on my IWB holster. That rig has since been replaced and I now carry pretty much exclusively appendix again.

With that said, the golden key to the crapper is a quality belt, and a quality holster. I carried a full-size M&P under everything from t-shirts to jackets and, while the bottom edge of the holster did make an appearance from time to time, it always felt secure on my Ares Ranger. With that said, a tuckable appendix rig is my preferred carry method.

I am all appendix all the time now. Don't know how I ever carried any other way

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
since moving to Nevada... tactics have changed.

We see less people here than we did in OKC plus the laws allowed OC.

When you do see people (outside of town) it's usally squatters out on the BLM land... God only knows what they are up too... In smaller towns- (what passes for a town here is more like a cross roads or ghost town outside of Reno or Vegas) you can OC and no body gives a crap.

The weather here is cool enough at night all summer that a jacket is not unusual....

With the circumstances--- I find that a good strong side hip holster works the best for me now days. I do keep a couple of tuckable holsters if I plan on visiting a populated place like Reno or Vegas...In Carson City- no one cares if your gun shows ....

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
UPDATE:

I just got a cool new Wilson Combat (OWB) holster from my buddy "The AntiChrome" (thanks Robert)

I will report back after a few days of carrying and at least one BBQ! SO far it really holds the gun close to my side almost as much as my IWB does. PLUS its a really snazzy sharkskin!

Jack T.

Active Fanatic
OWB for me 99% of the time. . .IWB once in the past few years, and that didn't work.

No place to stick a firearm IWB on a pair of Wranglers.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I cant' stand IWB carry so I carry OWB every day. When I first graduated the police academy in '06 I carried IWB for about a year. It was so uncomfortable and I hated buying pants too large just to fit a gun in the waist band. I have a couple of nice kydex holsters which keep my sidearm close in to my body and I just wear my shirt untucked.

Modoc

Active Fanatic
I run about 1/3 of the time each with IWB, OWB and shoulder holster. Hawaiian shirts and Polos work well with a DeSantiis paddle or a pancake, or an S.O.B. The IWB has become easier to carry since I lost weight tho. No real problem since I use the same Instructor type belt either way, just a matter of finding a comfortable spot on my hip.

Now if I could keep the IWB from rolling muzzle up when I am answering nature's call, life would be good. ;)

goodwink

Well-Known Fanatic
Remember the guy that was shot in OKC while weilding a legal cc firearm..............
Cover it with a coat, jacket or shirt-why take the chance.

Jack T.

Active Fanatic
goodwink said:
Remember the guy that was shot in OKC while weilding a legal cc firearm..............
Cover it with a coat, jacket or shirt-why take the chance.
Remember those 4 girls killed in the church bombing? Don't go to church, why take the chance.

Latest posts