Ordering powders.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I'm getting ready to order some powder. For rifle (.243 Win) and pistol (9mm). Anyone have any specific recommendations, and why?

I currently have (or have used), TiteGroup, HS-6, Bullseye, Unique and W231 for pistols, and Varget, H4895, IMR4350, and VVN150 for rifles. I also have the BLC2 and H335 for .223.

I'm looking at Longshot for a pistol powder, primarily for 9mm. And either H414 or Win Supreme 780 for the .243.

I load both lead and jacketed in 9mm, 124gr lead and jacketed; although I'd like to move to 147s if they will feed reliably in all my guns.

I will be loading heavier bullets in the .243, have 95gr SMKs now, and will probably try heavier next.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I use Accurate 2230 for .223 and WST for 40...

The 2230 is a very fine ball powder and measures really nicely and I've shot about 16 lbs of it in the last year.

The WST works great with lead or plated or coated or jacketed bullets and makes a nice soft round in .40 major.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll have to try some of the AA2230 when I use up the BLC2 I've got on hand. I've read a lot of reports about the WST in .40, but I don't load .40. I haven't heard as much of it in the 9mm, and Hodgdon doesn't even list WST in 9mm at all.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I used tons of WST with 147 grain hard cast lead bullets. I started with Titegroup but found that it was too hot and was causing the bulllets to tumble.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Huh, where do you find data on it?

I've heard rumors that there is old published data out there but I've never seen it. I got my info from Mitch at J&K and on Enos. WST is the best powder there is for heavy bullets in 9mm, .40 and .45. I've went through about 20lbs of it so far.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, if it's good enough for you two, it'll be good enough for me. WST is on the list to get then.

Nikat,

In .45ACP there are no worries it's a low pressure round. But 9mm and .40 are high pressure rounds. I wouldn't attempt to use WST for a factory type load, it's not a powder to hot rod. You might be able to get close with the heaviest bullets, I've never even compared them, but I'm talking about USPSA competition loads only to make USPSA power factor (minor in 9 and major in .40) which tends to be a good bit less than a typical self defense load. Gamer loads it's great for. If you want a full house 9mm jacketed load WSF or Universal would be better.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks! I'm not a hot rodder, but warning noted.

Jesse, is there a link to them somewhere? I didn't see them on the sponsor list.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Member Jeremy Moore is the owner. Here is his profile. http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/user/1424-jeremy-moore/

He asked us to hold off on the banners until he gets his website up and perfect. Right now he is doing business by appointment only. I haven't had the need yet but if you can meet him at a match you save big on hazmat fees and his prices are great too!

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Theres tons of folks using WST. I use it in 40 and 45. I use VV320 for 9x19. When i run out of WST I will see how VV320 does for me in the 40 and. 45ACP.

Powders like AA2, solo 1000, Bullseye, VV320, WST, Clays work well for game loads, they are all fast powders so don't push them. Any med powder will work well for full power loads such as WSF, Unique, AA5, and countless others, For max vel with a 147 go to 3n38. It will make major in the 9x19.

For the 243 any med burn powder should do fine which 760 is one of them. Many new powders out and you might try one of those to give us old guys some feedback.

Best of luck in your quest.

dennishoddy

I use Unique for pistol, .45ACP and some shotgun loads. I hated Unique in the old days, but they have reformulated it so its not near as dirty. Shooting from the Rem 1100 into the wind would have lots of trash coming back into the eyes.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I use Unique for pistol, .45ACP and some shotgun loads. I hated Unique in the old days, but they have reformulated it so its not near as dirty. Shooting from the Rem 1100 into the wind would have lots of trash coming back into the eyes.

If I could only have one powder it would be Unique. You can use it for pistol, rifle (cast), and shotgun. I like WSF in the shotgun over Unique. I wish there was data for cast and WSF. Works well in pistol as well. If I could get more data on WSF it just might change my mind on Unique.

dennishoddy

I use Unique in the .45ACP loads. 200 grain SWC, 5.1 grains powder.

Currently using WSF in the shotgun field loads. Man, you can get some performance out of that powder. My 6.7lb 24" Citori chrono'd 1475fps, on the max recomended load. It will give you a headache after the first few shots with recoil, but you don't have to lead the birds. :D
I backed off the load to keep my retina's intact.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
With a load like that you could be slow to mount and still have your shot beat the guys next to you to the bird.
:drinks: on your pain threshold. :blackeye:

So do you find WSF fairly clean burning?

dennishoddy

Very clean. I've been browsing some .40 loads for lead, (new toy coming) and saw that wst, and wsf are both on the list. The wst was the only one recomended for lead to keep it down so gas checks aren't required.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Very clean. I've been browsing some .40 loads for lead, (new toy coming) and saw that wst, and wsf are both on the list. The wst was the only one recomended for lead to keep it down so gas checks aren't required.

I use WST in 45ACP and 40. You can make the 40 shoot very soft if your not trying to make major. I have used Clays in both 45acp as well as light SG loads. Might have even more of a softer feel, but I have been warned that Clays can get hickey on the top end. So I use WST in pistol for the 40 (180) and 45ACP (230) both with cast, plated, and jacketed. Have not tried moly with it yet. As I think I stated before once the WST is gone I will try 320 since that is my goto powder for the 9x19.

Amazing I think how clean WSF is. It truly is a powder 1100 users should enjoy :) I use it in my 1 1/8 1300fps loads. I don't think they are bad at all especially compared to 1600fps slugs.

Latest posts