Optics options for AR

AKAKBroncho

Fanatic
Mornin gentlemen,
I ended up going with a Spikes Tactical for my 1st AR and it should ship in a couple of weeks. I'm looking for opinions on what type of scope to put on it. I would like something al purpose or tactical but I want to be able to shoot out to 200-250 yards or better. Any opinions?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I like the Millett DMS 1-4x24 myself as a close range scope. I know there are better scopes out there, but they also cost hundreds more and may not be too much better anyways.
Primary arms has is for $200 https://www.primaryarms.com/Millett_14_x_24_DMS_Multi_Coat_RedDot_Rifl_p/bk81002.htm

AKAKBroncho

Fanatic
Probably won't ever 3 gun, you never know, but doubt it. I'm not against spending money if the product is worth it, bit I'd prefer to stay under 300 for scope and mounts

Spiff

Semi-Pro
You can get a used Eotech off of Arfcom for 300ish if you watch it closely. DMS-1 is a good choice. So is irons.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
eotechs are a zero magnification holographic projection sight. The reason they arent as cheap as a red dot it that red dot sights a a general rule only hold zero at a certain position realtive to your eye. Since a red dot is a reflected light it is stationary in the sight picture, the holographic sights however are able to hold their zero no matter what. I.E.- take a mirror and shine a laser at that mirror, if you are holding that laser and move your body, the reflection moves. however, if you use a projector and project the image onto the wall, the image will not move if you move your body. This is greatly simplified you understand, but it communicates the point. While red dot sights may be "mostly" paralax free, a holographic sight eliminates the issue of paralax and superimposes an image at a "virtual" 50 yards downrange, allowing the shooter an uninhibited viewing/aiming system. At least thats true of Electro-Optics Technologies, or eotech for short. These sights are incredible, and for a red dot or "reflex" sight to achieve this level of accuracy takes a great deal of precision in the manufacturing of lenses and equipment, which is why Aimpoints are so expensive. But if you are in that price range, either will do fine, Ive shot Aimpoints and Eotechs and I have an eotech on my ar. Its mostly preference, I just like the 1moa/65moa circle in the eotech. Insight Tech also makes a wicked red dot sight called the Integrated Sighting Module.http://www.insighttechnology.com/InsightAimandIllum.html. I have a buddy who shoots one and loves it, but they are far more expensive if you opt for the IR package. Optics depend soley on mission requirements, and thats to say, what are you going to do with it. High dollar optics are built to endure the stresses that the grunts put on them. Thats the proving ground, and I promise, Marine grunts can break anything...

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
if it was me i would get an ACOG, they pretty much never break, glass is excellent, BDC is pretty much perfect. eye relief is off the charts.. with a laure mount.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
As long as you take care of an acog you should have a great optic that will last. They do have a small problem on all their models except their MOST recent ones. The rear lenses are too close to the prism and if you jar them a lot or the get bounced around like in a 7 ton or in your truck, the prism will hit the lens and they will chip away at each other and you end up with what looks like frosting or dust in your lens, which is actually glass shards. The military issued a Product quality deficiency report, or PQDR, last year. Also the SDO's, have an issue with the tritium source shifting and you lose part of your illumination. just a heads up, I have handled and dealt with 10s of thousands of these sights for the Marine Corps, and was the Warranty manager at Intermediate level for the east coast. Im not just some ass who reads wikipedia too much.

Slamfire

Well-Known Fanatic
http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/reddot/730132P/
Some people really like these and they won't break the bank.

Wolf44

Fanatic
Prolly way too late, but you should be able to find a few Vortex Viper PST 1-4x's for just beyond your 300 limit. Definitely worth a look at least since your looking for 'zoom' capabilities.

Also - The HS series has capped turrets and may be cheaper yet, it is supposed to have most of the PST, but capped the turrets and reticle choices.

Correction - looks like Vortex just made the HS capped 1-4x a PST for 2012. as it isn't listed in the HS line any longer and now has a capped model in the PST line.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Prolly way too late, but you should be able to find a few Vortex Viper PST 1-4x's for just beyond your 300 limit. Definitely worth a look at least since your looking for 'zoom' capabilities.

Also - The HS series has capped turrets and may be cheaper yet, it is supposed to have most of the PST, but capped the turrets and reticle choices.

Correction - looks like Vortex just made the HS capped 1-4x a PST for 2012. as it isn't listed in the HS line any longer and now has a capped model in the PST line.

Looks like they are also offering a new FFP 1-4x24 in the PST line with capped turrets and a new reticle. Retail...$800

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
What If I'm looking for an AR scope that I can transition from 10 feet to 300 yards on the fly, and price is not an issue?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Any quality 1-4X or 1-6X will fit that bill. Get a throw lever for "on-the-fly", and you're good.

Latest posts