Open Up The Background Check System, Make it Free & Easy To Use

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Is this a viable option?

It seems that everywhere we look as a pro-rights organization, we see and hear people talking about ‘common sense’ and ‘compromise’.

Unfortunately, the things that are proposed as ‘common sense’ are often totalitarian edicts that will result in the loss of life and property and the ‘compromise’ consists of anti-rights activists demanding those edicts and then stating that we are unreasonable when we don’t agree with them.

In the interest of ‘common sense’ and compromise, Connecticut Carry proposes that the legislators instead work towards a bill to completely open our Connecticut state background check system and provide instant access to it for free via the internet and possibly via smart phone applications as well.

In working towards this goal, Connecticut Carry would be happy to assist, since we have experience in providing a Conviction History Search service to our members through our website.

Legislators should also work to get the Federal background check system opened to the public and available instantly online. Already the AIFIS system that the Connecticut State Police use for national background checks is automated and returns results in less than 2 hours. There is no reason the NICS couldn’t be opened to the public with near-instant results via handheld devices for free.

This would go a long way towards more background checks in our state and in our country as people would surely appreciate a free and easy way to check the criminal status of people trying to buy a firearm privately from them. No gun owner wants to sell to a prohibited person. Why not give them the tools to make sure they do not since we already have Federal criminal penalties that apply if they do sell to a criminal?

This is a real change that our legislators could be working towards instead of insulting the hundreds of thousands of responsible gun owners in Connecticut with ridiculous bill proposals that seek to ban the majority of firearms and firearms accessories in private hands.

Read article at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/02/open-up-the-background-check-system-make-it-free-easy-to-use/#ixzz2K3e4Eg50

MISph1t

Well-Known Fanatic
I would be willing to call and do a background check before selling a gun as long it as it is free, easy, fast, as accurate as possible, and most important does not include WHAT firearm is being sold. Nobody's business what I'm selling or someone is buying.

I also don't think there needs to be any kind of record of how many times someones name is checked.

ETA: I also get pissed off everytime the anti-gun folks say it's "common sense". That implies that I'm stupid if I don't believe the same things they do.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
The problem is that if it's too easy for everyone to get to, you can run a background check on anyone, regardless of whether or not they're trying to buy a gun from you. It may only tell you enough to know they've done something to be a Prohibited Person, but that's still a privacy concern.

E: I know that most (if not all) of that information is public record but lowering the difficulty of finding that information to the point that it's trivial still has privacy implications.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Also, let's not forget that the NICS is far from complete. Not all required agencies report information in a timely fashion. For this reason the system is flawed in it's current state. So, even if the system was opened for use by the general public, we would still be in the same boat we are in now.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
StealthESW said:
Also, let's not forget that the NICS is far from complete. Not all required agencies report information in a timely fashion. For this reason the system is flawed in it's current state. So, even if the system was opened for use by the general public, we would still be in the same boat we are in now.
I don't disagree with that at all. The question about being a viable options is this: Is getting some background check performed on some private sales (without recording gun specifics) better than none at all?

okshooter26

Well-Known Fanatic
Until the FBI frees to follow the law by deleting their background check records after a certain time and we repeal the NFA. I'm not giving crap this isnt a compromise it's just loosing anonymity.
A compromise is supposed to be on both sides what do we get out of this?!

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
I don't disagree with that at all. The question about being a viable options is this: Is getting some background check performed on some private sales (without recording gun specifics) better than none at all?
I think the best way to set this up is to have a "complete" system and to not have the information about each call saved. For example, if I were to purchase from you. Let's say you call the number and input my social, the system would give you a yes or no. This system should not keep track of how many times my social is requested nor should it ask for the type of rifle or pistol being sold. For the system to function in this way, would not require an operator and can be fully automated.

If something like this could be implimented, then I would say the best way to do this would be to have safe locations that can run the checks for you. (I wouldn't want my social floating about on just anyones cell.) The idea of having an ID, which has been mentioned, is not good for a couple reasons. The obvious problem with an ID is that you would have to register to get it. Also, the serials of anything you purchase could be added to your ID registration file at each purchase. For those that have a CCL this may not matter, since you are already registered as an owner and your information could be added to the new database.

Personally, I would feel better knowing who I am selling to. I would also like to know that I am not going to be risking my life trying to sell something.

okshooter26

Well-Known Fanatic
You can already do background checks through many different companies for a fairly low rate if you are that concerned about the person you are selling to or just transfer the gun to an ffl and let
Them dothe transfer. I know an FFL who is also an attorney locally.

Latest posts