Open gun 9 major or 38 super comp?

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
Getting started into looking for a open gun and need some help. Should I go with 9 major or 38 super/comp? How many times can you load a 9 to major pressures? How much more does 38 brass cost? I've heard everything from 9 major is not safe, only load new brass, only check for over pressure. The other half says 38 super gives a lot more options with powder and can be loaded many times, works better than 9mm. Still others say ones as good as the other. Also looking for a few open gun builders to read about. Thanks

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
DocMedic on Enos reloaded a bunch of 9mm cases to major PF of 168 ten times without case failure, and then stopped counting. Most people are buying 9mm range brass and using it once, and it is still cheaper than .38 Super.

Charlie Perez crunched some numbers on reclaimed brass figuring that you get 50% of your brass back when picking it up after the stage/match, and it clearly made the point for 9mm major being much cheaper when leaving the brass behind.

I think the main advantage of .38 Super is proven guns and many more load options. The 9 major guns were stinking it up for a while, but now they seem to be running well.

Use good magazines, and keep the springs fresh.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Mitch Gibson said:
Use good magazines, and keep the springs fresh.
This couldn't be truerer :mail:

Seriously, I used to watch my buddies shooting 9 major have all sort of problems & it made me kind of skeptical.
I ended up getting a 9 major gun & there were some growing pains at first, but once I got my mags lined out, my gun runs like a top.
The only time I have an issue is when my mag springs are "old", it seems to throw the timing of the gun off.

I buy range brass & load to about 174 PF.

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
Is the muzzle rise about the same for 9 major and 38 super?
Is black dog gunworks, JPL, Dawson good open builders? Any others?
Moly coated, plated or jacketed bullets for a comp. gun?
What is a typical load for open? Slow burning powder and 124 or 135 g bullets?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
When I was going to build an open gun I talked to Kelly Raglin. He said he never shot a 9 major gun that he liked the feel of (the recoil impulse). Others told me that it's just hard for a .38sc to NOT run right. .38sc gives lots of options for loads.

From a pure cost standpoint there's no argument, 9 major wins. Easily...

Edit: most everyone I talked to said don't just let anybody build you a 9 major gun, there were only like 4 guys in the country (at that time) that could build one in a 2011 platform that ran like a Swiss watch. You got a lot more options with .38sc.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Typical load over here is 124 grs bullets and 3n38 powder. 38 super will give you a bit more options and more gas to work the comp.
The reason everyone here is shooting 9 major now is that 38 super cases are virtually impossible to get, and when they are in stock somewhere everyone knows about it in an instant, and within two days it's out of stock.
Whenever I'm at a range with some of my 38 super shooting buddies and they spot super brass laying on the floor they cry out in joy and get tears in their eyes.....makes med sad to watch.

Latest posts