Open Carry Holster, Scabbard, or Case

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
So what Qualifies as a Holster, Scabbard, or Case?

TITLE 21 § 1290.2 A.2
"Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and"

You would think this to be straight forward but there are a lot of retention devices out there that are not conventional for instance:
http://www.versacarry.com/ Quote from their web site "By definition the Versacarry is not a holster. The patent pending Versacarry is so unique, there is not a term to define it. It is a new and revolutionary concealed carry invention."
VersaCarry.jpg

www.ghostinc.com
gi_stealth_redgun_5.jpg

VanGuard Holsters
Vanguard1.jpg

Vanguard2.jpg

IWB(Pretty sure these qualify)
IWB.jpg

Feel Free to add your opinions and holster examples.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I don't think it would ever come up.

Or you could avoid the issue entirely by not using that stupid VersaCarry thing.

Stuff like the ClipDraw and Barami Hip Grip have been around for a long time and they've never looked like a good idea to me.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I'd think that would be up to an officer's discretion if he was silly enough to charge you. To beat it in court --- a stock number and product description would put the issue to bed pretty quickly.

Way back in the day... lot's of people would tie a latigo or other thing leather strap on a belt and let the loop lay inside the waistband. Drop the slide through the loop- Improved Mexican Carry. Many a 1911 was carried that way from the WWI era well into the 70's. I understand it was a popular way to carry with the Texas Rangers who favored 1911' before the IWB holster came along.

Tom Selleck carried a Govt model in "Magnum PI" using that method... (art reflects reality sometimes)

Okiebryan

Fanatic
If you are concealing, use whatever you want.. even that hideous versacarry thing. Open Carry is the only mode that has holster requirements. Belt holster, shoulder holster.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are concealing, use whatever you want.. even that hideous versacarry thing. Open Carry is the only mode that has holster requirements. Belt holster, shoulder holster.

The catch is it does have other wording such as scabbard and case. The quote above is from the ok sda effective Nov 1st which is in referance to open carry, not concealed.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
googling "define scabbard" yields: "A sheath for a gun or other weapon or tool."

googling "define sheath" yields: "A close-fitting cover for something, esp. something that is elongated in shape, in particular."

I guess you could make the argument that the Raven Vanguard is a sheath because of the way that it covers the trigger guard. I don't see how those other things could meet the definitions of holster, sheath, or case.

Of course this whole argument is academic because you're going to go buy a real holster. You'll feel really smart about the money you saved until you Plaxico yourself.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
googling "define scabbard" yields: "A sheath for a gun or other weapon or tool."

googling "define sheath" yields: "A close-fitting cover for something, esp. something that is elongated in shape, in particular."

I guess you could make the argument that the Raven Vanguard is a sheath because of the way that it covers the trigger guard. I don't see how those other things could meet the definitions of holster, sheath, or case.

Of course this whole argument is academic because you're going to go buy a real holster. You'll feel really smart about the money you saved until you Plaxico yourself.

This whole thread was purely academic, I do need a "real" holster wanna help me pay for one? And decide which to get?

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
This whole thread was purely academic, I do need a "real" holster wanna help me pay for one? And decide which to get?

I have an Archangel and a MTAC and they're both super for CCW. I don't know about OC.

To help you earn some money, I could teach you my milkshake that brings all the boys to the yard but I'd have to charge.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an Archangel and a MTAC and they're both super for CCW. I don't know about OC.

To help you earn some money, I could teach you my milkshake that brings all the boys to the yard but I'd have to charge.

Wouldn't that be spending money? I'm no good at shaking milk, I'm seeing this as a loss. I need gains that don't rely on me shaking milk or banana hammocks

Latest posts