Oklahoma Dove season

dennishoddy

Dove hunters are required to have a valid hunting license or proof of exemption and a free Harvest Information Program (HIP) permit, both available online at wildlifedepartment.com.

Its free, so be sure and have it in your possession while in the field.

I'll be scouting for the next few days. Hopefully they will start grouping up soon.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I had the biggest dove I've ever seen buzz my patio earlier. It wasn't one of those Eurasians either. Damn thing was almost as big as a pidgeon!

dennishoddy

Dove hunting is the #1 hunting trip in the U.S.
Its also the cash cow for shot gun ammo manufacturers.
They are quite tasty if prepared correctly.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Pellet gun?
Bacon wraped with a sliver of jalepeno? LoL!
Couldn't do that even if I wanted to. The dove around my house have grown up in my back yard. We had two pairs nesting in the backyard this year. One pair has been nesting in our Silver Maple for probably 5 years.

dennishoddy

Ended up with 8 tonight with the Sweet 16.
vybyjuve.jpg

BigK674

Well-Known Fanatic
The White ones are Rock Doves, also known as Release Doves. The ones Dennis got are mourning doves.

dennishoddy

Marinating as we speak in a 50-50 mix of Soy Sauce, and Teriyaki sauce prior to dusting with flour and lightly frying them in bacon grease tomorrow.

Put into a pan with cambells golden mushroom soup mix, onion, bell pepper slices, yellow pepper, salt, pepper, fresh garlic, and jalapeno for a little heat.

325 for about 4 hours at 375 degrees.

The dove breasts will fall apart, and the folks that say they don't like dove will swoon at the taste! :D

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
TacticalK9 said:
lol I know nothing about birds.
The only thing you need to know is that if you are going to a good spot, and will likely be able to take your limit on dove, take at least 100 rounds of shells. 100 rounds as a minimum. lol
I swear they can duck your shot. I can't count the times I've seen them do it. Dennis is making it look easy. It's not.

Also if you get into them good, you can't keep shells in your gun. Okay that's two things.

dennishoddy

scubor2 said:
Dennis are you hunting a pond, feed or roost? Recipe sounds good.
Its a wheat field that I disked a week before. It was full of crabgrass seed heads that they are feeding on. That's the only thing I found in their craw.

DC4OU

Well-Known Fanatic
Are you using a MOJO to draw them close or are you just hunting out of the fence row? That sounds like fun. I am planning on going Saturday but it looks like it is going to be hot.

dennishoddy

Using the wind mojo's, and a half dozen decoys set out on top of a terrace on the ground like they are feeding.. Found a little shady spot on the east side of a tree, and the fun began.
Sometimes they would sneak in on the blind side, and set down in the decoys. Nothing better than a live bird feeding among the decoys, so when another would come in, the one on the ground would flush at the shot, and give an opportunity for a double.
More often than not, they both flew away unscathed. LOL!

Latest posts