Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife Cleaning Up Ranges

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
How do they get all the lead out of the ground? Wondering now how much lead is in the berm where my buddy's family lives near and shoots.

dennishoddy

FlashAndPoof said:
How do they get all the lead out of the ground? Wondering now how much lead is in the berm where my buddy's family lives near and shoots.
There are companies that reclaim lead shot as a business. Gene Sears in Oklahoma used to do it all over the country.
There is a shotshell component dealer in Ponca City Ok that "reforms" and sells reclaimed shot. About a third cheaper than virgin shot, and at 30 yds puts out a pretty good pattern. Its mixed pellets from #9 to 7 1/2 size shot.
As we all know some if not all of the shot gets flattened somewhat as it goes down the barrel and into the chokes. The company here locally takes the pellets, and heats them right to the point of melting, which causes the sharp edges to become rounded again, and then cooled and packaged.
The process is that they basically rototill the earth where the shot has landed, and run it into a machine that shakes it to separate the lead from the earth, and then use a system of conveyors and blowers to blow the dirt off the heavier shot, and finally come out with a pile of shot. It's then washed and reformed.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
FlashAndPoof said:
I saw them doing it at a range in MN once. Big excavators scoop up all the dirt/berms and dump it into one of those machines like you see crushing rocks for gravel or making top soil and 9mm Ammo shoots out the other side fully sized primed and polished, kinda.

Latest posts