OKC gun club 3-gun canceled

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
I know mays was canceled but the website said 3 gun was canceled until further notice. Is this going to be a forever thing or a temporary thing. I don't want to pry and don't really need an explanation but I was looking forward to trying one and joining in on the fun.

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
I see, well I hope all is well the old MD and he's just busy and not that something bad happened.

Hopefully some one can get these going again. Thank you!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Gfercaks33 said:
I see, well I hope all is well the old MD and he's just busy and not that something bad happened.

Hopefully some one can get these going again. Thank you!
He's still an asshole but he's ok. We have a half dozen or so guys over in Arkansas taking the USPSA CRO course. So I think we can find some qualified folks soon.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Requirements for MD:
  • Spend a week designing stages with no help
  • Spend the day before a match setting up with no help
  • Get to the match 2 hours early to take entries and set up nooks with no help
  • Stay after the match and tear it all down with no help
  • Check all the scores and submit them with no help
  • Get an occasional "thanks to everyone who put on this match" on some obscure forum.

If you are willing to do this, you are a match director.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It would have to move to a different day (Sunday). We all have day jobs M-F 8-5. We all passed the CRO exam and it more than doubled the number of CROs in Oklahoma. And some of us are beginning to take a plunge into practicing a whole awful lot for USPSA.

Seems like a job for someone ambitious who loves 3-Gun a whole lot, and has enough standing to get keys to the building. And that owns a truck to pull the war wagon around. And that has cronies who are also interested enough to help move around really heavy and large steel contraptions. And that can design stages that are fun and safe. And that can build stages in Practiscore for scoring the match. That's pretty specific.

I don't own a truck, and won't anytime soon.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Finding someone with the free time is likely the hardest part. I often don't have time to shoot, much less all the other required work in being a MD. I hope the match will continue with new leadership. It's the only 3 gun match that ever works with my schedule.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Burk Cornelius said:
Requirements for MD.

Spend a week designing stages with no help

Spend the day before a match setting up with no help

Get to the match 2 hours early to take entries and set up nooks with no help

Stay after the match and tear it all down with no help

Check all the scores and submit them with no help

Get an occasional "thanks to everyone who put on this match" on some obscure forum.

If you are willing to do this, you are a match director.

posted via Tapatalk
Burk pretty much summed it up.
As I've said many times, volunteer help is the key to keeping a match running. It only takes a couple times of a guy doing it all with no help before he says "screw this". Also, Alot of people like to shoot & leave. That's fine but that match doesn't put itself away & the guy running it is responsible for making sure that happens.

So next time you're shooting a match, remember help goes alot farther than thanks.

Chad King

Well-Known Fanatic
Well who ever takes up the mantle can count on me for help setting up and tearing down and I have no issues with pulling the war wagon around the bays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Just to clarify here. This match wasn't cancelled because Mike got mad about not having help, that's not the case. All of these statements are in response to a call for a new MD. It's not as easy as people might think, Just refer to Burk's post for the requirements.

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
What are/were your match fees? Mill creek in kc has a seperate 3 gun league fee. When you join the league, you're required to setup x amount of stages per year. They have a chart and you sign up for the dates and bays you want. Everyone else pays a higher fee and everyone helps tear down.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Every club has their own way of doing things. Some have higher match fees & hire help to set & breakdown the match, most just rely on volunteers for help.

I'm not saying any way is right or wrong. Just that it can't be the MD doing it by himself.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
billdozer said:
What are/were your match fees? Mill creek in kc has a seperate 3 gun league fee. When you join the league, you're required to setup x amount of stages per year. They have a chart and you sign up for the dates and bays you want. Everyone else pays a higher fee and everyone helps tear down.
So, if you're not a member, you can't shoot? It's pretty abnormal for a range to have that requirement for matches.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Mitch Gibson said:
Seems like a job for someone ambitious who loves 3-Gun a whole lot, and has enough standing to get keys to the building. And that owns a truck to pull the war wagon around. And that has cronies who are also interested enough to help move around really heavy and large steel contraptions. And that can design stages that are fun and safe. And that can build stages in Practiscore for scoring the match. That's pretty specific.

I don't own a truck, and won't anytime soon.
I have a truck but no cronies

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
My opinion... We see about leaving up the USPSA match props, etc from the pistol match and shoot 3-gun the first Sunday of the month. Takes care of 80-90% of setup. All we need now is a motivated person to ensure (oversee) tear down is completed after the Sunday match and we are good to go.. If there are stages in the pistol match we don't want to keep up, we have those squads break them down after the Saturday match.. If all the target stands, walls, fault lines and target sticks are out, we really won't need the trailer for setup. Sprinkle in some shotgun steel and clay fingers, and we got ourselves a match.. I dunno.. Maybe...

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I know that other matches at OKCGC pay their match workers. Actually it's probably the competitors themselves paying them instead of the club, but I know this because my BIL has worked a bunch of them on the other part of the range.

Another idea is add $5 to the match fee every other month, with that buy a few sleeves of low recoil slugs that everybody seems to love and never have, a couple of cases of 5.56 and/or 9mm and dole it out to the MD and setup people. Or just give them the cash. There's no reason to expect a MD to do it for free, it's a ton of work and time.

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
So, if you're not a member, you can't shoot? It's pretty abnormal for a range to have that requirement for matches.
It costs more if your not a member of the 3 gun group, not a member of the club. In order to be a member of the group, you have to agree to set up a certain number of stages.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Scott Hearn said:
I know that other matches at OKCGC pay their match workers. Actually it's probably the competitors themselves paying them instead of the club, but I know this because my BIL has worked a bunch of them on the other part of the range.

Another idea is add $5 to the match fee every other month, with that buy a few sleeves of low recoil slugs that everybody seems to love and never have, a couple of cases of 5.56 and/or 9mm and dole it out to the MD and setup people. Or just give them the cash. There's no reason to expect a MD to do it for free, it's a ton of work and time.
It's not about $$$, it's about time. No matter how much extra you charge, if nobody has time, it's irrelevant.

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
Time is much more valuable then money. I was curious i understand walking away because it takes too much time, I'm just glad that's why not because they died or something like that.

If/when they come back and if I become a regular I'll make an attempt to help set up or tear down.

Latest posts