Offset Irons to the left?

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
My question is why do people put offset irons or micro RDS to the ejection port side of an AR? Why not put the offest irons on the non ejection port side of the barrel. I could see this having two benefits: 1. You wouldn't have spent shells flying through your field of view, and 2. Tactically this would make you bring your elbow in which makes you a smaller target.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Because of the natural ability to comfortably roll the rifle that direction for a right handed shooter. A lefty would do it probably want to do it the way you describe.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I need to grab a rifle to be sure but wouldn't the pistol grip hit you in the cheek if you rolled the gun left? I never even notice the brass flying when I use me Dueck Defense offset sights.

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
I need to grab a rifle to be sure but wouldn't the pistol grip hit you in the cheek if you rolled the gun left? I never even notice the brass flying when I use me Dueck Defense offset sights.
I think that would depend on the shooter, but if you look at my profile photo you see that I have a good cheek weld and my head is probably at a 20 degree angle. I wolder if you had 30 degree offset irons if you could rotate the gun without interference from the pistol grip. I haven't tried this out myself but I would just think that this would be a benefit if you made yourself a smaller target and didnt have spent shells flying in your vision. I will try it with one of my rifles.

Latest posts