OCPD Statement about non LE and guns.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
There was a news article on Channel 4 at 6 about the shooting at SW 44 & May that involved a liquor store owner shooting at two suspects who robbed him and then he was shot by the police.

OCPD Captain Dexter Nelson made this statement.

"Any person with a gun that's not wearing a uniform and a badge is a threat to the police".

Has anyone with either CCW or open carry had any issues with OCPD?

dennishoddy

I think the Officers did exactly as they should.

They heard gun shots from the back of the building, ran to see what was happening, and the shooter failed to follow orders.

Shooter was throwing lead at a couple of guys that just robbed his store. There was no longer any threat from the thieves when they were driving away.

I'll be the first one to say that the robbers need removed from the gene pool, but in this instance, the Police were justified in my opinion.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Larry Rigsby said:
OCPD Captain Dexter Nelson made this statement.

"Any person with a gun that's not wearing a uniform and a badge is a threat to the police".
Poor fellas must feel awfully outnumbered.

dennishoddy

ChrisC said:
i think you are reading way to much into that statement

on a call if there is a person that is non LEO with a gun in their hand they are a threat until that gun is not in their hand.
I agree. Round a corner into a dark alley, NOBODY, knows who is the bad guy.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
will this do?
attachicon.gif
ccw.jpg
Isn't that supposed to be pinned to a florescent colored sash?

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I have looked down the barrel of a gun of an OKC police officer after telling him I had a permit and was carrying. Finger on the trigger and all, it was honestly the most frightened I have ever been.

I think it depends on the officer honestly.

MarkCh

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree the officers did what they should have done in this case. But I think if the Captain is going to talk to the media he needs to take more care in what he says and the way he says it. The quote, which might or might not be out of context depending on the rest of his statement, makes him appear to be an elitist who thinks only cops should have guns and the rest of us can stick it.

dennishoddy

MarkCh said:
I agree the officers did what they should have done in this case. But I think if the Captain is going to talk to the media he needs to take more care in what he says and the way he says it. The quote, which might or might not be out of context depending on the rest of his statement, makes him appear to be an elitist who thinks only cops should have guns and the rest of us can stick it.
I agree with this. Bad choice of words.

It brings up the mentality of us vs them, and that's not what its all about.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Dexter Nelson has made numerous comments that lead me to believe he very much wants more gun laws. He is a politician. If anyone has evidence to the contrary please post it up.

Officer's opinions will vary, most don't seem to mind.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
fortunately, all of the interaction I've had with LE while armed went very well. They were very supportive & didn't freak out in the slightest.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
dennishoddy said:
I think the Officers did exactly as they should.

They heard gun shots from the back of the building, ran to see what was happening, and the shooter failed to follow orders.

Shooter was throwing lead at a couple of guys that just robbed his store. There was no longer any threat from the thieves when they were driving away.

I'll be the first one to say that the robbers need removed from the gene pool, but in this instance, the Police were justified in my opinion.
ChrisC said:
i think you are reading way to much into that statement

on a call if there is a person that is non LEO with a gun in their hand they are a threat until that gun is not in their hand.
Chris/Dennis, I agree 100% that you should comply with the officers instructions, no ifs, ands or buts.....he screwed up.
But if they were responding to a liquor store robbery, wouldn't it stand to reason that the owner/good guy is NOT the guy speeding off?

Again, I think there're often tough situations these guys face where it's very difficult to tell the good guy from the bad guy & of course I wasn't there. But when they roll up to a robbery & see someone fleeing, doesn't that narrow it down a little on who the bad guy probably is? I didn't see anything about the guy shooting at the officers, so I have to think he was focused on the bad guys.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
Dexter Nelson has made numerous comments that lead me to believe he very much wants more gun laws. He is a politician. If anyone has evidence to the contrary please post it up.

Officer's opinions will vary, most don't seem to mind.
Like I said on the other site, I think it's a requirement to be anti-gun in order to achieve any rank at all in OKC or OK county. I can't seem to recall a single chief or sheriff that was pro-gun in all my years here. Which is all but about 2.5 years of my entire life.

And had an officer pulled on me like that I can guaranDAMNtee you I'd have been all up in his supervisors ass at my first opportunity. I'd go for his job too. There would be no ass left in the place. There's just no excuse...

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Scott Hearn said:
And had an officer pulled on me like that I can guaranDAMNtee you I'd have been all up in his supervisors ass at my first opportunity. I'd go for his job too. There would be no ass left in the place. There's just no excuse...
I'd probably just poop my pants

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
There's only two things that I can think of that would cause an officer to be like that. "Little man syndrome" or honest fear of us lowly citizens carrying when it's legal. Either way they don't need to be in a uniform IMO.

Luckily around our parts these those officers are in the vast minority. Even if they are anti-gun they usually keep it to themselves and deal with it. My mom has a friend that's an ex-OKCPD officer. She says that she's pro-gun, grew up around them, had them all her life, blah, blah, blah. But she doesn't see why anyone not in uniform needs to be allowed to own an AR or high cap pistol. For us all that is needed is a .357 revolver for defense. She actually told me that on facebook right after Sandy Hook. But I know she wouldn't be drawing down like that on people either.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Wall said:
I came close to needing new underwear. My complaint went nowhere, I've moved on. I've had 2 or 3 other contacts that went fine. Just the one bad one.

In any case, the chief is appointed I believe, and this one isn't very pro 2nd amendment from what I've seen. Just out of curiosity will he sign for NFA stuff?

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
Wall said:
fortunately, all of the interaction I've had with LE while armed went very well. They were very supportive & didn't freak out in the slightest.

well considering how flirty you are, that is not surprising :)

Latest posts