Observations from an average day with a gun on my hip....

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
99.5% of the general population is Helen Keller blind when it comes to someone carrying. I inadvertently exposed my gun once when my jacket rode up whilst I was being seated in a busy restaurant. It was still exposed when I stood up to leave. Granted, I was seated strong side and back to walls, but I'm certain I looked rather foolish as I hastily re-arranged my coat.
Gun Free Zones suck big blue donkey balls. I sat or stood and waited outside of more than one establishment, in the cold rain, because of the no gun signs. SWMBO was less than pleased when I wouldn't permit any exchange of currency with said establishments. Besides, we found better stuff in a more friendly environment later. The final stop of the day was one of those outlet centers, there were anti second amendment signs at the entrance to the parking lot. I stayed in the car as to not excite the hoplophobes.
I really begin to doubt that property managers and owners realize that the law abiding citizen(s) is not the one they need to be concerned with. Criminals gonna criminal, sign or no.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I agree, I think most commercial "gun free zones" are just for PC, or maybe stupid insurance concerns, not honest problems with law abiding gun owners. I have gotten a few stares when my cover garmet gets blows and exposes my gun, but most people either don'e notice or don't care.

I have half thought most people probably think LEO when they see a nice leather carry rig vs the Hollyweird gangsta look in movies.

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Will be happy when I get to Indiana.

View attachment 1892
Fun fact. I travel to Omaha quite a bit. Leave the greater Dayton, Ohio area , travel across Indiana to I'llannoya. I fill up at the same Marathon station a couple miles from the border. I don't stop again til I get to Wolcott, Iowa. Sometimes I'll go south to Muscatine, got family there too. Ain't no stopping in I'llannoya. No benefit from any money I might spend whatsoever!! Gotta love the speed camera's at the construction zones too. Gotta generate any revenue possible.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
would suspect you travel a bit north of STL. If ya ever plan a stop in there, drop me a note

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
would suspect you travel a bit north of STL. If ya ever plan a stop in there, drop me a note
You oughta be in Lafayette before this crazy old coot makes another trip west. Outta vacation for the year, won't be going west unless there's a death before next fall. Thanks for the invite, I might could take you up on it.

PWS

Fanatic
99.5% of the general population is Helen Keller blind when it comes to someone carrying. I inadvertently exposed my gun once when my jacket rode up whilst I was being seated in a busy restaurant. It was still exposed when I stood up to leave. Granted, I was seated strong side and back to walls, but I'm certain I looked rather foolish as I hastily re-arranged my coat.
Gun Free Zones suck big blue donkey balls. I sat or stood and waited outside of more than one establishment, in the cold rain, because of the no gun signs. SWMBO was less than pleased when I wouldn't permit any exchange of currency with said establishments. Besides, we found better stuff in a more friendly environment later. The final stop of the day was one of those outlet centers, there were anti second amendment signs at the entrance to the parking lot. I stayed in the car as to not excite the hoplophobes.
I really begin to doubt that property managers and owners realize that the law abiding citizen(s) is not the one they need to be concerned with. Criminals gonna criminal, sign or no.

I seldom carry routinely since I work in a hospital and they have a true hissyfit when they see someone with a weapon and our parking facility is not secure so I'm not content to lock up a carry in the truck...however, when I see someone at church, store or at a restaurant with an inadvertently exposed firearm, I usually mention that they are showing and thank them for helping protect us....

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry all the time I'm not going to or from work! Then I keep one in my truck always.
As far as being in public, I carry everywhere except government buildings and schools (grandkids in school) everywhere else I don't watch for signs. If they say anything, I politely say I did not see the sign and I will leave and take my business elsewhere.
I too notice people ccw'ing quite often and your right, the nice leather holsters don't get people as excited as a plastic gun that's not holstered correctly!

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I agree with the OP...most folks are oblivious. When I first got into LE I carried my issued Glock 17 off-duty and was concerned about "printing" and having to explain my position (seems to be alot of anti-Blue nowadays). I migrated to a DW CCO, G19, and G26.

Anyway...I now work in plainclothes and even when on-duty with a tighter fitting shirt or over-garment and a Glock 17 in a Safariland holster that looks like a tumor on my hip....nobody seems to notice, LOL.

Makes the DW CCO now seem to completely disappear....

BTW...We finally authorized leather pancake holsters (Safariland 328 series)...works to conceal better....finally.

AZGUY1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I wear dress shirts untucked everyday and carry everyday and go everywhere I please within my normal routine. The mall says no, eating establishments say no. I just keep quite and do my thing. All they can do is ask you to leave but in 10 years I have never had an encounter of any type. Of course I carry small, concealable, inside the waist guns or in my shoulder holster when the weather turns and I go to pullover fleeces or windbreakers with the company logo on them

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I wear dress shirts untucked everyday and carry everyday and go everywhere I please within my normal routine. The mall says no, eating establishments say no. I just keep quite and do my thing. All they can do is ask you to leave but in 10 years I have never had an encounter of any type. Of course I carry small, concealable, inside the waist guns or in my shoulder holster when the weather turns and I go to pullover fleeces or windbreakers with the company logo on them
Here, the anti second amendment signs carry the weight and force of the law behind them. Enough that losing those rights altogether is a possibility.

TENWOLVES

Fanatic
I'm an Oregon concealed gun carrier, we also have open carry, but it's been my experience that CC is the way to go, when those that open carry , they draw attention to them selves, and there lies the problem, it only takes one radical person to make your day hell, sensible concealed carry takes the stress out of being armed, and allows me to carry and be healed in any occasion, I'm a leather craftsmen and make holsters, it always gets me when I hear a customer talk of showing off his gun and leather work while open carrying his gun, that always causes me to have a conversation, but some just have a need to show off their stuff, and in another time, that was well excepted, and still is around friends at a BBQ, and that's where the phrase BBQ RIG came from, but on the street open carry draws too much attention to ourselves, and in my opinion is not the way to go, first off the bad guy is going to nail the guy with the gun first, and not the guy not showing a gun, at least in most cases, I carry from large semi autos to small, and revolver the same way, depending on the time of year and weather, I never feel under gunned, IMHO, STAY WITH CONCEALED CARRY...Permits are available in most free States...

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry all the time I'm not going to or from work! Then I keep one in my truck always.
As far as being in public, I carry everywhere except government buildings and schools (grandkids in school) everywhere else I don't watch for signs. If they say anything, I politely say I did not see the sign and I will leave and take my business elsewhere.
I too notice people ccw'ing quite often and your right, the nice leather holsters don't get people as excited as a plastic gun that's not holstered correctly!
If you asked the proprietor of a store or business why don't they just put a sign out side replacing the "no concealed guns" sign that says "no killing inside" they would probably look at you like you were crazy and say something to the effect that such a sign wouldn't stop anyone intent on doing such damage inside. Problem solved. With such an answer they revealed their own stupidity, ignorance and naivety for posting the "no CC guns allowed". Simply keeps the honest, law abiding citizens from adding a level of protection in their business that they otherwise don't have.