NRA news conference on Newtown shooting response

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
The NRA news conference is scheduled to start at 1045 AM today.

Let us see what they have to say. Here?s to hoping that they don?t throw lawful gun owners under the bus. I am nervous about what measure they plan to put forward to prevent such an incident from happening. If I heard anything about supporting any kind of restrictive legislation I?m going to see about getting a refund on my lifetime membership

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
They won't refund memberships. I tried that last year. They ran me around in circles til I gave up.

I'm not optimistic about what they have to say, but I will try to keep an open mind. Any specific channel or website where they are airing their statement?

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
NRA.org, NRAnews.com, NRA facebook page, NRA News facebook page, and a live twitter feed @NRAnews. The truth about guns is supposed to be livestreaming it also, and i assume that since it is a general news confrence (not an exclusive story) the major networks will give it some coverage. I'm hoping that whoever is on 1250 am or glen beck program on 94.3 fm will have live coverage.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe they will surprise us, stand up straight, look right into the eyes of the antis and say no more compromise. Every silly gun control measure we currently suffer with has been a compromise. Will today be the day that Negotiate Rights Away actually represents gun owners and earns my money?

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Considering the NRA's statement to "offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.", I'm not anticipating much.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm half expecting platitudes about the recent shootings, perhaps donations to the funds started for the families, that kind of thing. I don't anticipate them saying much, if anything, about the impending gun control legislation at this time.

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
Only 2 protesters. i am kind of disappointed. i was making a drinking game out of it after the second one. Either security was better than I would have expected normally, or they didn?t really make an effort to get in. Although to be honest I would not have been surprised at an assignation attempt after all the calls for violence against the NRA from the ?anti-gun? community lately

I wish they had spent more time on the caliber question. I am told by my wife that the kids watched the news conference with her and broke into hysterical laughter at the news media description of 223 as "one of the most powerful rifle cartridges". I suppose the lack of willful ignorance on our childrens part is our fault. Ah well, what will be will be.

I like the approach to school security he recommended. Quite frankly I could get behind having trained emergency responders armed in schools without much trouble. And I know at least one person that a weapons instructor position for those responders would be perfect for. He is a little too old, in his opinion, for a responder, but has probably forgotten more about firearms than I would learn in two lifetimes.

Opps. almost forgot about the national database for mentally ill persons. I will assume this is just ignorance on his part. Anyone who advocates for this either does not understand how the DSM-5 works, or worse, understands exactly how it works. I think the statistics say 80% of adults can be diagnosed with some form of mental illness, ranging from ADD to seasonal depression to outright psychopathic/sociopathic behavior. And it keeps expanding every year. Most of these have no effect on a person everyday life, but do technically qualify as mental illness. A national database of such people would decimate the nations gun owners. Just for example there is one illness where the desire to own a firearm can qualify a person as mentally ill. Look at the ?Gun controls new frontier? thread for more info. (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4655&p=28004&hilit=mental+illness#p28003)

The General

Well-Known Fanatic
Given the "No matter what we say, we're wrong" attitude of the press, I think NRA did well. Overall approach: Bad guys with guns can only be stopped by Good Guys with guns. We expect that in banks, in the military, etc, etc. Why don't we do the same in schools. Also called on Feds to put cops into every school before the kids get back in January. Of course they won't but make them explain why they won't...

Good idea to not take questions: They would have all been "You Suck" questions.

PANZER22

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not sure that putting cops in schools is a good thing.....Many are trigger happy and can't shoot well.......I would prefer highly trained security personnel that will think before they shoot and aim with innocent bystanders in mind.................I don't know about every state, but our school board administrators, superintendents, and such are so over paid that their salaries could be trimmed considerably to help pay the costs of secure schools.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
It was ok.

I thought the idea of registering all mentally ill people is stupid. I remember some other places that put all their "undesireables" and "mentally ill" people on lists and that ended poorly. It depends on who is making the list, right? I am in favor of mental health services for paranoid schizophrenics especially but a list is the wrong approach.

I thought the remarks about media and video game violence were off the mark. FIrst, the items mentioned are WAY old. Is this 1996 again? Second, a huge number of younger folks grew up on HALO and Call of Duty which are pretty violent video games. They are not mass murderers. They like the black rifles they learned about in Call of Duty and want to shoot them. Don't demonize a large rapidly growing segment of your base.

TheGriff

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I guess they should ban Mosin Nagants, too. I can't remember what video game it was in, but I believe it was a popular one, that you didn't necessarily use just the black "evil" guns...

Before they start pointing the finger at violent games, violent movies or violent books... maybe they should just talk to their younger family members...

Latest posts