NRA Basic Rifle Course - Sumter/Columbia

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
NRA BASIC RIFLE CLASS
Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the safe use of a rifle in target shooting
This full day course is approximately 14 hours long and includes both classroom and range time learning to shoot rifles. Students learn NRA?s rules for safe gun handling; rifle parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest, prone, sitting, standing and kneeling positions; cleaning, and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Rifle Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Rifle Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate.

INDIGO CLUB
http://icshootingsports.com/
14068 Garners Ferry Road
Eastover, SC 29044

DECEMBER 21, 2013
CHECK-IN BEGINS AT 7:30 AM AND COURSE BEGINS AT 8:00 AM

TRAINING FEES: $80 per student for pre-registration (no later than 7 December), $100 otherwise
?Buy one get one half off:? Sign up for training and bring a friend or family member for half off!
$70/$90 for Indigo Club Range members, active duty military members, professional educators, and members of the Palmetto Shooters Forums community

DEPOSIT:
50% of all training fees are due to reserve your seat. The remaining 50% are payable upon the day of the class. Deposits may be paid with personal check, cash, money order, or cashier?s check and enclosed with registration. No credit/debit cards!

Walk-ins who are not pre-registered with a deposit paid may be turned away the day of the class if we are full. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged to reserve your seat and to ensure that there are no equipment problems.

COURSE CANCELLATION:
If there are insufficient pre-registered students I will have to cancel the course. This is the week before the holidays and while I love teaching, I can't justify running this class for a single student. Cancellation will be announced at least 10 days prior and you will receive your choice of a full refund, a voucher towards the next class , or tuition for the next Appleseed RWVA event in South Carolina.

KIDS AND FAMILIES:
Kids are generally welcome, but please contact me to discuss suitability of the course for your unique situation.

--------------------------------------------------------

DreamerOfDreams and I are teaching an NRA Basic Rifle course next month in the midlands. Indigo Club is located between Columbia and Sumter just off rte 378.

Please contact me if you have any questions about the course, or post right here in the thread. You can sign up by PMing me or via the NRA Website: http://www.nrainstructors.org/SignupStudent.aspx?id=212692.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
I just got a question via PM and figured I'd put the answer out here for all.

"What is the ammunition requirement?"
We are estimating 100 rounds as a suggested amount of ammunition.

The course curriculum goes through the bench, standing, sitting, and prone positions. We will teach several drills in each position, with each drill requiring 3-5 rounds. Over a long day that can add up. If there is time and interest we may teach variants on the positions such as competition offhand, variants on sitting (i.e. kneeling), and so on. That can add up over a long day!

I do suggest that you bring 200 rounds to ensure that you can fire all drills with no problems; for example, if you bring 100 rounds, you may be shooting 3 round instead of 5 round groups. If ammunition is a problem, let me know privately. I may be able to provide some common caliber ammunition from my stash "at cost" (no gouging). I can also bring some extra common caliber ammunition so that if you estimate low and bring insufficient ammo you can resupply the day of.

The NRA Basic Rifle curriculum is .22 rimfire friendly. 22s are actually suggested, and this should ease ammunition requirements significantly.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
Bump for a new course date -- 21 December!

Our September class went great and I figured I'd offer another. This class will focus on the basic field shooting positions. We'll get those rifles out of the safe and off the bench! This class is also a good introduction to prepare you for the Appleseed RWVA course (or practice if you've been to an RWVA event) or for the NRA Light Rifle competition program. It is beginner friendly, so it is a great "pre Christmas" class for a new shooter getting a rifle for the holidays!

The new class date has a discount for forum members as well.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
Due to insufficient paid preregistered students, this course has been cancelled.

If I receive several pre-regs in the mail on Monday I'll reconsider.

Thank you for your interest but due to the holiday season I need firm commitments to schedule the range and justify the time away from family.

Please have a happy holiday season! I hope to see you at an Appleseed marksmanship & heritage clinic or an NRA class in 2014!

Latest posts