Non-Resident permits to cover GA carry

Red Hat

Well-Known Fanatic
To circumvent the SC/GA reciprocity you can get yourself a NH non-resident permit. It's a $100 for four years and the best thing is you don't have to take any classes. Just fill out the application, a front and back copy of your SC permit and mail it in with a check for $100. It will give you GA, AL and MS. States that our SC permit won't cover. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp ... ssp260.pdf

If you just want a non-resident permit just to cover GA then there's a cheaper route. Centre County Sheriff's Office in PA will issue a 5 year non-resident permit without taking classes for $26. http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/lice ... cation.asp

joenmell

Fanatic
You can also get a permit from Florida. That will cover Georgia. Also a number of other states that are not covered under your SC Permit.

throttleup

Active Fanatic
Red Hat said:
To circumvent the SC/GA reciprocity you can get yourself a NH non-resident permit. It's a $100 for four years and the best thing is you don't have to take any classes. Just fill out the application, a front and back copy of your SC permit and mail it in with a check for $100. It will give you GA, AL and MS. States that our SC permit won't cover. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp ... ssp260.pdf

If you just want a non-resident permit just to cover GA then there's a cheaper route. Centre County Sheriff's Office in PA will issue a 5 year non-resident permit without taking classes for $26. http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/lice ... cation.asp

True except Pennsylvania will no longer process their permits by mail. You now have to show up in person. Also, Mississippi and South Carolina now have reciprocity.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
AZ permits only cost about $60, I think, and offer a variety of reciprocity, including GA.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't you have to take a class to get the AZ permit. I know you used to...Maybe it has changed..

Steve

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not aware of a training requirement; my husband didn't need one to apply. He sent in a check and a copy of his SC CWP, and received an AZ CWP within 90 days.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I went with a Utah Permit. Cost me $50 and a brief class and a signature. Mailed my forms and fingerprints to Utah, and 2 months later I had my Utah CFP.

throttleup

Active Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
I went with a Utah Permit. Cost me $50 and a brief class and a signature. Mailed my forms and fingerprints to Utah, and 2 months later I had my Utah CFP.

Only $50? Was the class free or was the permit from the Utah authorities free?

NGIB

Active Fanatic
I sure wish there was a group in SC that pushes as hard as Georgia Carry does in GA - we might have reciprocity by now. Sucks that 2 states that share such a huge border can't seem to make this happen and requires all of us to jump through hoops...

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
NGIB said:
I sure wish there was a group in SC that pushes as hard as Georgia Carry does in GA - we might have reciprocity by now. Sucks that 2 states that share such a huge border can't seem to make this happen and requires all of us to jump through hoops...

Do you know why SC will not recognize a GA permit? Because Georgia's CWP program is a joke. In order to get a handgun license there all you have to do is pay $58.00, get fingerprinted and have the GBI run a background check and wait a couple of months. SC wants to see course curriculum hours and won't budge, so neither will GA. But, for people who know their way around guns, SC's test is a joke, too, but it's all about what politicians read on paper. "A shooting qualification? Classroom hours? A test? This is comprehensive!"

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
throttleup said:
11B3XCIB said:

Only $50? Was the class free or was the permit from the Utah authorities free?

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I paid the instructor $50, and the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification requires a $51 check for out of state permit applicants.

I over-simplified the process in my first post, but really with the addition of the check to Utah's BCI, it's that simple.

NGIB

Active Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
NGIB said:

Do you know why SC will not recognize a GA permit? Because Georgia's CWP program is a joke. In order to get a handgun license there all you have to do is pay $58.00, get fingerprinted and have the GBI run a background check and wait a couple of months. SC wants to see course curriculum hours and won't budge, so neither will GA. But, for people who know their way around guns, SC's test is a joke, too, but it's all about what politicians read on paper. "A shooting qualification? Classroom hours? A test? This is comprehensive!"

Training is not a bad thing, it's a government agency mandating what training is acceptable to exercise a constitutional right that bothers folks in GA. Believe me, the NRA does not push training because of lofty ideals - they push because they make money doing it. At least active duty military can carry without a permit in GA, in fact, they are exempt from most limitations as they are treated the same as LEOs...

joenmell

Fanatic
NGIB said:
11B3XCIB said:
NGIB said:

Training is not a bad thing, it's a government agency mandating what training is acceptable to exercise a constitutional right that bothers folks in GA. Believe me, the NRA does not push training because of lofty ideals - they push because they make money doing it. At least active duty military can carry without a permit in GA, in fact, they are exempt from most limitations as they are treated the same as LEOs...
But what is their position on "Retired" Military? Do they have any exemptions for us?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
From a legal perspective, even though I was exempt from the course due to active military status and current pistol qualification, I took the course. If I ever have to stand in court one day,, I can say I had the state mandated training in addition to my military marksmanship training (which are two TOTALLY different things). The overt, Geneva Conventions based weapons training in the military is a complete 180 from civilian self defense legislation.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
11B, the bad thing is they will turn that around on you. you were trained. to kill. my boy didnt know what he was doing and you have had killing training.

i was told that when i took my CWP. the instructor was in SPSA with me where we shot IPSC. it will come up that we have had all that training with evil guns.

not to mention all the saftey we learned.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
I think, either way, a prosecuter looking to carve a reputation out of your skin, is going to vilify you as much as they can. Too much training; not enough; they'll scapegoat you regardless.The best thing to do is train to the best of YOUR comfort and ability, know the law, your rights and USE them.

Latest posts