[No] Training before you carry

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I am sure that most of you get the same question from people you know as soon as they find out you are a gun person. “I want to get my carry permit, what kind of gun should I get?”

Most of the time the question is coming from someone who hasn’t ever shot or even owned a gun. Are you hesitant (like me) to even talk to them about getting a gun knowing that they will never train?

Is no gun better than a gun in the hands of someone who will most likely NEVER train?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Good question. When I took my class it was scary. There were people that didn't know how to load and rack the slide. And people who emptied a mag and couldn't hit a paper plate at 7 yds.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
The 2nd Amendment side of me HATES requiring training to carry a gun. On the other hand, I HATE seeing people that aren't trained, carry a gun

What's the answer?

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
The class I took to get my permit was honestly a total joke! Strictly a formality to get the certificate to mail in. The instructor went over the exact test right before passing it out. Headed to the range and loaded and shot through I think 3 magazines all of which were 5 inch .22 cal pistols provided by the guy which couldn't be farthest from reality of most everyone carries. I would like to find a class myself that offers true combat pistol training with real simulated scenarios we may face day to day.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I answer all questions as well as I can, tell them where they can take SDA classes, and go from there. A few have gotten a gun and carry license, but none have interest in training.

dennishoddy

I'm kind of in that boat right now. Wife decided she wants to carry, so we bought her a gun after renting some at H&H and Wilshire. Getting her out to the range to shoot is tough. Getting her to dryfire after practicing pulling it from her purse ain't happening.
Getting her to be situation aware ain't happening.
I'll drop her off at a store and wait in the parking lot. When she walks out she will go right past vans where somebody could reach out and grab her. When I ask why, I get the same answer, "its because your here".
I will say that she can shoot better than most I've seen at CC classes, so she won't embarrass herself there.

David2U

Active Fanatic
20 yrs ago when I first got my permit, there was a elderly woman in the class shooting a 9mm semi auto. There were 2 experienced guys on either side of her. After the 50 round course of fire, each of the guys had 75 holes in their target. The old lady had zero, zip, nadda one. The instructor exclaimed, dang lady.. standing in front of you would be like standing in front of a shotgun loaded with 000 buck. Despite not hitting her target, she was passed. Instructor said the rules [at the time] did not require her to hit the target.. just prove that she was familiar with the gun's operation and had the ability to fire it.

When ever I have newbies ask me my opinion on a handgun for them.. I generally refer them to a .38 spl revolver. But also let them know that the instructors for many of the firearms classes will provide a semi-auto .22 LR or 9mm for those who don't have a weapon or want to shoot a semi so they can carry a semi, a revolver or a derringer. And that by shooting a semi auto, they can see how they might like one for themselves.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
This has been a sore subject with a lot folks I hang out with.

The Texas CHL class and requirements is a joke. Like many of you I have seen people pass that should not be carrying a stapler, much less a loaded firearm. It's obvious the system needs revamping but there is a line to be crossed in 2A infringement for sure.

I have helped a few friends and a few strangers select and use firearms for the first time. Only one has continued learning and shooting since the first few visits with me to the gun shop and range. I am happy to teach responsible gun ownership and marksmanship, for free, for anyone interested.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Tom Koch said:
The class I took to get my permit was honestly a total joke! Strictly a formality to get the certificate to mail in. The instructor went over the exact test right before passing it out. Headed to the range and loaded and shot through I think 3 magazines all of which were 5 inch .22 cal pistols provided by the guy which couldn't be farthest from reality of most everyone carries. I would like to find a class myself that offers true combat pistol training with real simulated scenarios we may face day to day.
If the guy had folding lawn chairs in his living room then we may have had the same instructor, but I just wanted a license, I was not worried about content.

Modoc

Active Fanatic
I've been lucky in that those that have asked me have taken the recommendation of which instructors to go through for Basic Handgun and then their Initial CCW classes. Having a variety of handguns around, it works to take them out and try some, especially to see if the can operate them safely. In all honestly, a steel 38 Spl revolver is my most common recommendation, followed by a Mossberg(blech), Remington, or Benelli pump gun for in the home.

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
wixthedog said:
This has been a sore subject with a lot folks I hang out with.

The Texas CHL class and requirements is a joke. Like many of you I have seen people pass that should not be carrying a stapler, much less a loaded firearm. It's obvious the system needs revamping but there is a line to be crossed in 2A infringement for sure.

I have helped a few friends and a few strangers select and use firearms for the first time. Only one has continued learning and shooting since the first few visits with me to the gun shop and range. I am happy to teach responsible gun ownership and marksmanship, for free, for anyone interested.
I think I'm kind of right there with you on this one. I've been lucky enough, though, that my friends who ask me about handgun issues are ironically former military guys who got good with rifles and never paid much attention to their sidearm. All of them have been incredibly interested in training and competing even. My other friends that ask me about these situations may not go "training" but I usually end up bugging them out to the range and giving them some tips to the best of my ability.

I think that's the biggest impact we can have as a group of people, though. If we can help new shooters in a nice, non-intimidating way when they are learning, we'll have them hooked on the sport for life like we are.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
I purchased the DVD set from www.concealedcarryuniversity.org. Over several weeks I studied the material and have been practising the drills. I liked this program. It was'nt pretentious or what i thought was alot of non-sense; it made sense to me. It points out really how one must prepare for defending oneself with a pistol. I think if more people watched this it might steer some away from deciding to carry a gun. And I think that not every one should carry a gun.

And I also chime in on TDSA.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
I understand what it says in the constitution. However, if you are more of a danger to the guy behind or beside you at the range than the target in front of you, then you have no business whatsoever with a firearm. With one caveat, proper training. JMO.

Latest posts