Nightforce Scopes?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Anyone have a scope made by Nightforce? I am looking at the 4-14x. If not it will be another MKIV in 4-14X by Leupold Scopes that I know. ;)

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
The SHV is their lower tier line.
A solid scope for the money.
What questions do you have?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The SHV is their lower tier line.
A solid scope for the money.
What questions do you have?

What rifles have you used their scopes on? What do you like about the scope in terms of. Knobs & clicks? Reticle choices? clarity of glass?

I take it by lower tier you mean not in the same class as the Leupold MKIV 4-14x 40mm or 50mm. :oops: I already guessed that by the low price.

In general a $1000 rifle should have a $2000 Optic, sounds weird to us but in Europe they do just that. I plan on using it for a NM, M1A 7.62mm
so it has to be well built to take the recoil & battering from a gas gun. I'm just looking around for another great choice like the MKIV.

Any experience with Nightforces upper line? I am looking for a 4-14 40mm or 50mm no batteries needed.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
[h3][/h3]

Howdy Mike.

[h3][/h3]Sounds like you are doing some scope shopping.

I will hopefully be able to give you some stellar endorsements over some glass in the weeks ahead.

A long story shortened…but still a long story: A buddy gave me some timely advice after my wife passed. He knew how close we were and what the challenges we'd been through with her health and with work over the past few years. He used to work with me at the plant....and then went onto to follow other dreams....and was very successful.

Anyway.....he knew that I need to return to the outdoors.....shooting, hunting, fishing and etc.

He advised that I don't put it off....but get after it right away. Don't get bogged down by the boat that's been sitting idle for 6 years and needs the motor worked over.

Don't wait around for deer season.

Don't just make a drive to the indoor pistol range 2-3 times a month.

But to get OUTDOORS and get back to my roots and to do so immediately.

Two suggestions he made:

"Dude...you always wanted to have shoot better on dove shoots & duck hunts......grab yer duck gun and schedule a couple lessons with the pro at the shooting clays course". So.....I did. Been back a few times. It's a work in progress....and it is fun and requires me to quiet down my mind and get smooth. Fun & productive. I was semi-hooked.

His second challenge.....he was on a roll, lol. "Dude...you always wanted to get into that long range target stuff.....call up our bud that is into that an go along with him...see what's up......do it." So.....I did. I was overwhelmed and outgunned. It was much more demanding that any rifle work I'd done in preparation for deer seasons over the years. I'd be lucky if I could find a 200yd range to use.....and most of my shots in the woods were 1/3 that distance.

The guy that took me along has his act together. I showed up at the private range with my trusty old .270 in a soft case, two boxes of ammo and some ear plugs and wearing the Costa sunglasses that I"m addicted to (their green glass lenses are the ticket).

He drops his tailgate and I swear he had a pile of stuff....hardcases for two rifles.....hard cases for other stuff, etc. Looked like he was going to deploy. I laughed and commented.....he said he was traveling "light" on that trip. He brought a gun for me to shoot plus another that he said he was "tuning up" whatever the meant, along with his own rifle.

My .270 stayed in the truck after he looked it over.

My takeaways from that day were:
1) I'm too stiff right now to be doing any prone stuff. If I have to go to the ground it's because someone has knocked me down...and I'm gonna stab them in the ankle, lol. I simply couldn't get comfortable behind the rife until he suggested I raise up considerably and he extended the bipod legs. That helped....but a dang bench to shoot from would have been more better. ;) I gotta walk before I run. I gotta sit before I lay down. Maybe in time I'll work up to prone shooting. For now.....heck no.

2) Gauging wind is way beyond what I've done with golf. He was able to make a call......then confirm it with his Kestrel (electronics he used were beyond my understanding....technology that was useful as heck...although I'll give him credit...he made his wind calls and distance ranging from his scope and then confirmed with the tech toys).

3) It was FUN. I was hooked....
Just like it was advised by the pard who pushed me into getting out and trying it........there is no season to wait for.....nothing needed but a day off work and some gas in the truck.
Hooked.

I went back home and did some wheeling and dealing with a few long guns that I knew I'd never use again....magnum stuff that I'll not be hunting with...nor have any desire to shoot at ranges or sporting clays, etc. Kept the Benelli SB3 & SuperNova as they'll do anything I need in a shotgun.....and my non-magnum stuff will kill any deer or hog I'm gonna be hunting. The old glass went with the old rifles, too.

That created room in the safe and room in the wallet to move forward with a few projects to get me started. I approached things with the lion's share going towards glass. Two rifles were added after my "team of advisors" confirmed them absolute bargains....good stocks, great barrels and serviceable triggers with out of the box readiness. One is for that long range fun. The other is a sporter weight .308 Win that I'll hunt with.

First scoped added was done so after finding it discontinued and on a bigtime sale....close to 1/2 what it originally sold for when it was the current model. It arrived as promised from the online store...new factory sealed box. First focal plane....MIL based. Going on my "long range target" soft-shooting 6.5CM bolt gun. Should be a cream puff.
[h3][/h3][h3][/h3][h3][/h3][h3][/h3]

B.E.A.S.T. 5-25x56 F1

MIL-R_F1.png

[h3][/h3][h3][/h3]
I really like the clarity, brightness and overall quality of that first NF above. I liked the clean reticle that will be nice on long range targets...and the turrets feel great.
[h3][/h3]
I wanted that same glass/image quality for another gun....my AR-308. I called the folks at NF a couple times and got some input from them. Later on bought a mount & the scope below from Mile High. Shooting the semi-auto I wanted less top end magnification and a reticle that would allow faster holds vs cranking on turrets. Again, MIL based first focal plane.
[h3][/h3][h3][/h3]

ATACR 4-16x50 F1

csm_Mil-XT_Zoom_206bbb63b7.png

[h3][/h3]

So...the .308 Win sporter weight hunting bolt gun needed some glass, too. I've always been a Leupold guy.....but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. All their new model transition was more than I wanted to study up on. I'd discussed this with one of the techs at NF when I was calling. Suggestions were made....keying on a 10 power max and clean reticle.

I decided to add the SHV below. Reticle is clean. Size is PERFECT for hunting. Glass is very clear & bright. Illumination is very agreeable. Not a pile of stuff to worry over....simple hunting scope. I did add their throw ring to it after liking that feature on the BEAST & Atacr scopes.

I have a huge amount of stuff to do first in order to some free time to spend on them.....but they are waiting on me and I know the fun is ahead.

[h3][/h3][h3][/h3][h3][/h3]

SHV 3-10x42

csm_ForcePlexSHV_Illuminated_NAmerica_only_445ff26d6f.png

Spare bedroom, man cave-in-the-making, has some fun new stuff that is SCREAMING for me to grab and get busy with.

Ordinarily I am an impatient goon.

Now, however….I know that I may have days ahead where projects that occupy my mind and challenge my abilities will be wonderful things to spend the time on.

Just seems like work and helping my son get moved back in along with his girlfriend has taken up most of my free time.

Looking forward to filling the years ahead with worthy use of my free time.

18CACBF4-0338-4AC2-8780-C32D0B024C37.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Thanks Dub great write up on Nightforce.
I have read other Competitive Shooters say good things about Nightforce scopes, so I thought it would be fun to compare them with Leupold.

I will be shooting the M1A out to 600 & beyond so a great reticle is a must & Nightforce has some nice choices.
Prices are very good from what I have seen so far it's hard to see anything under 1K that I feel I can trust.
We all have boxes of Scopes we bought learning to reality that cheap scopes don't make sense.

This is what I'm looking for around $1500.00 LOL :https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-3-15x50

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Don't see how you would possibly be disappointed with that Stiener.

Very nice.

One if these days down the road I am going to have many questions for you regarding M1A rifles.

For today, though….one question…what are you using for mounting ?

I am more M1A ignorant than I am AR ignorant….if that is even possible.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
For today, though….one question…what are you using for mounting ?
I like Burris Rings they are well built & strong + they don't mar your tube.
Xtreme Tactical Rings were built to withstand brutal use from competitors and tactical operators. They are lightweight, have plenty of holding power, and can endure any amount of recoil.
Burris 410341

Always remember this basic with the M1A. If you don't hear that ping when you squeeze that trigger in Dry fire, it won't shoot sub minute.
Bedding the entire Action is a must to insulate it from the wood or glass stock lug guns are more $ but I built non lug guns & got great guns.
As for the rest like how do you fit an M1A to yourself? You don't, you fit your body to to the M1A it get's harder the older you get. :)

However the M1A can be built to shoot Sub minute & it's so soft on your shoulder compared to a Bolt gun. ;)
Ask me anything you want Dub on the M1A I shot them, I built them, I love them LOL. Be happy to share with you.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Outstanding.

They are a future consideration that are on the not too distant horizon.....but future project.

I resisted the urge to follow a friend down the path he's been on. He just bought one of the SA SOCOM 16 and told me about a deal on one that was recently on PSA for sale. He was right...it was a few hundred bucks less than I'd seen them....but I've shot his and I'd rather have the Scout Squad model.

Then the matter of whether or not I'd want to run an optic came up. Not sure if I'd be happy with an extended eye relief scope....also not sure about scope mount options for the M1A.

Get's price mighty quick.

Once I cleared the lump in my thought to digest the cost of the SA M1A's....I took a few peeks at Fulton Armory rifles. More lumps in throat.

Clearly, it's not something I want to just jump blindly into.

Seems to be similar to 1911 passions in that a guy "needs" more than one to cover the span of desired shooting....but that there is a level of accuracy and quality that would be useful....provided the shooter could bring skill to the bench.

Again....it was a fun future subject to study up on.

I'll most definitely be getting with you for some guidance when well before I get to the point of acting on anything.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Get's price mighty quick.

You bet so go slow. I paid $1000. 00 for my first M1A it had a Military NM barrel that shot Sharpshooter only. I changed the Barrel 2 years later
& won the Expert class as a sharpshooter in the Ga State rifle Championships in 1986. $1000.00 for any rifle in 1984 was a lot of money
& today that rifle all Military NM parts except SA Receiver & Barnett barrel is priceless today maybe 4 or 5 K :oops: .

Just like spending over 2K for a scope, our hobby cost a lot even without Ammo being so high. I don't Golf so the money I save. Er What?
You don't buy it huh? LOL. It's only money & you can't take it with you.

Do your research & get good advice, like they say buy once & be happy.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
You bet so go slow. I paid $1000. 00 for my first M1A it had a Military NM barrel that shot Sharpshooter only. I changed the Barrel 2 years later
& won the Expert class as a sharpshooter in the Ga State rifle Championships in 1986. $1000.00 for any rifle in 1984 was a lot of money
& today that rifle all Military NM parts except SA Receiver & Barnett barrel is priceless today maybe 4 or 5 K :oops: .

Just like spending over 2K for a scope, our hobby cost a lot even without Ammo being so high. I don't Golf so the money I save. Er What?
You don't buy it huh? LOL. It's only money & you can't take it with you.

Do your research & get good advice, like they say buy once & be happy.

That is really cool about your rifle. You have a history of success with it. Keeping that bad boy running and running well is a most understood objective.

$1,000 rifle in 1986....yes sir...especially something of that refinement made of parts that aren't in easy circulation....yet highly sought after....$$$$$$$$$.

I gave up golf several years back after some ankle tendon surgery where they had to tether stuff together. Doc warned me about that type of torque & twisting from golf swing was verboten. Done.

No longer smoke....quit a loooong time ago. I'm not sure what a pack of smokes costs in today's market....but I was a 2-pack/day smoker. That would certainly add up.

No longer drinking. Gave that up over two years ago. That cost was certainly substantial....in many ways.

May main vice is simply directed at things with triggers.... I guess I'll remain on the ATF's radar. :D

Much agreement with you on reliable quality gear when it's attainable and doing homework ahead of time to cut down on regrets later on.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
May main vice is simply directed at things with triggers....
Me 2 :oops: well it's better than anything else I know, & besides everyone on their side want's my guns as bad as I do LOL.

Man O man I would not want an ATF job if King Biden tries to take our guns,, no sir I would not it would be dangerous fer sure.
Until then I will continue to become better each time I can get some range time it's just that simple for todays climate of who knows.

Continue to improve your self, then like the big fat Barnett Air gauged barrel I put on & went to a State Championship & won Expert class.
You have another Shooter score you through a Spotting Scope with another in the Pits. My Scorer kept telling me I shot a 10 then an X @ 600 Yds
I did not believe him so I looked into my Spotting scope myself. I won over 21 other real Experts, and all I did other than shoot well was I had
a big fat Match BBL instead of the thin Military NM barrel. My equipment was holding me back, so a new barrel was just what the Dr ordered.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not even anywhere close to your skill level in rifle shooting.. but I have started shooting my rifles , since I retired.
Had finally found a used M1A , a Scout Squad model, in like new / never actually been fired -condition..despite having 2 previous owners.
This was on my bucket list of rifles I always wanted.. 1st desired rifle was a Garand, then after shooting a Garand, decided I liked the 308 / M1A better.
Prefered it being a 308, & having a magazine, vs enbloc clips. Plus the M1A was a new rifle vs the older, used Garands I'd examined.

Started shooting the M1A, & it quickly became my favorite rifle. After some use, decided I didn't like the LER scope required by the factory mount, which came on the Scout Squad model. Also looked @ brass catchers & bipod mounts..didn't like the options available. Quickly discovered the modifying a M1a is , or seemed to be an expen$ive task. On a lark, I bought an AR-10 upper & lower. A low end, PSA version. I soon started added things, a better trigger, scope &
mount,a brass catcher, and a bipod. Realized I'd stopped shooting my M1A, since I started shooting my AR-10
. Realizing this, I found a buyer for my M1A.. Great thing was, after 10yrs of ownership & some enjoyment in shooting it, I sold it for $500.00 more than I paid for it.
One of the best "investments" I've made. I enjoyed my M1A, but enjoy shooting my AR-10 more, and am able to shoot it more accurately.

Reading the above posts, I know my bargain basement AR-10 isn't close to the M1A's being described, but I do wonder..if the same level
of effort were made in modifying a high quality AR-10, would it out perform the M1A...apologies if this is an insulting query.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm not even anywhere close to your skill level in rifle shooting.. but I have started shooting my rifles , since I retired.
Had finally found a used M1A , a Scout Squad model, in like new / never actually been fired -condition..despite having 2 previous owners.
This was on my bucket list of rifles I always wanted.. 1st desired rifle was a Garand, then after shooting a Garand, decided I liked the 308 / M1A better.
Prefered it being a 308, & having a magazine, vs enbloc clips. Plus the M1A was a new rifle vs the older, used Garands I'd examined.

Started shooting the M1A, & it quickly became my favorite rifle. After some use, decided I didn't like the LER scope required by the factory mount, which came on the Scout Squad model. Also looked @ brass catchers & bipod mounts..didn't like the options available. Quickly discovered the modifying a M1a is , or seemed to be an expen$ive task. On a lark, I bought an AR-10 upper & lower. A low end, PSA version. I soon started added things, a better trigger, scope &
mount,a brass catcher, and a bipod. Realized I'd stopped shooting my M1A, since I started shooting my AR-10
. Realizing this, I found a buyer for my M1A.. Great thing was, after 10yrs of ownership & some enjoyment in shooting it, I sold it for $500.00 more than I paid for it.
One of the best "investments" I've made. I enjoyed my M1A, but enjoy shooting my AR-10 more, and am able to shoot it more accurately.

Reading the above posts, I know my bargain basement AR-10 isn't close to the M1A's being described, but I do wonder..if the same level
of effort were made in modifying a high quality AR-10, would it out perform the M1A...apologies if this is an insulting query.
I have thought of the M-14 as my M1 Garand as was my father rifle he just loved the M1.
I do not know if the AR platform can be made to perform the same as the M-14 it's a good question however.

The main difference in the 2 platforms are simple like the Ruger 10/22 the AR platform has many accessories to get it to shoot well
& the M-14 parts are all hand polished & fit. The M1A takes over 20 hours of hand work bedding, polish, fitment all done by the builder.

I made very little building the Club M1As, however it was a real great experience to do that to such expensieve rifles & get them to shoot sub minute.

bdickers

New Fanatic
Anyone have a scope made by Nightforce? I am looking at the 4-14x. If not it will be another MKIV in 4-14X by Leupold Scopes that I know. ;)

I have a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 that I use on everything from my Christensen Ranger .2w, Christensen Mesa .308 and a Sauer 6.5 Creedmoor. The scope is great on any of my rifles, I had one of the ATACR scopes, but it was very large and much heavier than the NX8. I've not been disappointed by any Nightforce scope.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 that I use on everything from my Christensen Ranger .2w, Christensen Mesa .308 and a Sauer 6.5 Creedmoor. The scope is great on any of my rifles, I had one of the ATACR scopes, but it was very large and much heavier than the NX8. I've not been disappointed by any Nightforce scope.
Are all NF scopes battery scopes?

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
MK5s lives matter LOL.
Why do you keep going to those little ones?

MARK 5HD 7-35X56 M5C3 FFP H59

1638746316929.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts