Night stand gun safe recommendations

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I have a night stand, and I've been keeping my revolver in the night stand drawer. I'm not a fan of that for a number of reasons, but have been looking at the little safes that you have attach to them, and offer a bit of security to the pieces. I do not want to go with say a trigger lock.

I've been looking, and Amazon is offering their own version of the gun safes under the Amazon Basics brand.
A single gun safe is going for $61
https://amzn.to/2ERy7pm

Could go for a two gun safe for $69 (currently out of stock)

I even saw one for a biometric finger print reading quick release gun safe.

Does anyone have one they might recommend?

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
No kids yet so I have guns everywhere. This looks like a cheaper way to secure a "bump in the night, get me to my long gun" heater. Mostly surprised that it's an Amazon offering.

AZ Husker

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought my last Trijicon RMR from Amazon. Blew everyone else out of the water. Surprised me that they carried them also.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife prefers this one and she had it set up for quick access for her

I have this one mounted to the side of my dresser! I can open it with any finger while laying in bed!! It's awesome
We have four grandkids so we must keep them out of reach of the little uns

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the V-Line Brute:
ad60530b07f2a31e8bb4722ecb1f237b.jpg

I see them on Amazon for $265 now. I got mine from Wayfair for $212 (but that's been a couple years ago). I spent another ~$12 or so for flush mounting hardware from Home Depot or Lowes. I mounted it in my bedroom closet, to a permanent built-in shelf, waist height and pretty much out-of-sight. So it's reasonably secure for a safe of this kind. It holds a 357 revolver (Model 66) and an extra Speed Loader. This thing is heavy duty and top notch quality (Simplex push button mechanical lock).

I keep a fully charged Streamlight next to it, along with the home alarm 'panic button' key fob. It's the "go to" location for the wife should the need arise in the middle of the night. And yes, she knows how to handle .357 magnum.

Last edited:

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Does this really work to defeat the Gunvault SVB500?

Gun Safe Fail: GunVault SpeedVault Biometric Opens With a Gum Wrapper - View the video here https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...peedvault-biometric-opens-with-a-gum-wrapper/

If that technique really works, I think I'd run a bead of JB Weld epoxy (something that dries hard) along that gap/slot he talks about (something to block it). And not just the delete switch location but also the "add" fingerprint location too. [Maybe Gunvault has already fixed this in their current production version?]

Last edited:

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's mine. A Christmas present from my wife, third party "gun vault", from one of the big box stores. Not under the Gun Vault name, $50-$75 range. Tough construction, keypad, not Bio, curtain covers it, easily reachable/opening in dark, built in light goes out after a minute. Not Ft. Knox, but hey, these things are more for kid-proofing, than they are for theft proofing.

Attachments

• nightstand reach.jpg
    nightstand reach.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 15

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
...these things are more for kid-proofing, than they are for theft proofing.
Amen to that. And a point that can't be emphasized enough. As I think most people would recognize, given enough time and determination, virtually any safe can be defeated. So most of these small pistol safes accomplish nothing more than creating a delaying tactic to an adult home burglar.

But where they do excel, is preventing young kids or grandchildren from a most tragic event occurring. My kids are grown and grandkids visiting is a pretty rare occurrence. But for my own peace of mind and in light of Texas laws concerning liability and responsible gun ownership in the home, these things just make sense. Quickly ready for action with no fumbling around in the dark with trigger key locks or trying to marry up a loaded magazine with the pistol - these little pistol boxes can provide an optimum solution for what otherwise can be perplexing dilemma.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Does this really work to defeat the Gunvault SVB500?

Gun Safe Fail: GunVault SpeedVault Biometric Opens With a Gum Wrapper - View the video here https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...peedvault-biometric-opens-with-a-gum-wrapper/

If that technique really works, I think I'd run a bead of JB Weld epoxy (something that dries hard) along that gap/slot he talks about (something to block it). And not just the delete switch location but also the "add" fingerprint location too. [Maybe Gunvault has already fixed this in their current production version?]
I'll look at mine when I get home tonight but I'm thinking he's full of shiat. If he truly did that then he's practiced it to be able to just brush the wrapper across the soilder connections that quickly. Mines about 1-1/2 years old so we'll see.

Safe only keeps the firearm out of the hands of children and honest people. Safe is so it stays out of my grandkids hands but close to me when needed. Criminal with enough intent will get what they want out no matter what it's locked in!

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
You know I did actually fiddle with it when I got home and didn't have any gum wrappers so I tried aluminum foil, flat then folded in half then twice and finally four times and I could not get it to do this??! I'm not a professional their but I can not imagine it's that easy unless he modified something inside to get a better angle to those soilder points. So I'm of no help but I live my safe either way. I do know I could not get my wife's finger prints to register on this one when she had metallic finger nail polish on. She had to remove it. Then it does work with it on once they're registered to just open it.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
He certainly made it look easy but I suspect he'd practiced the technique many times (even IF it was a legitimate). Seems like the "counter" to defeat his hack is pretty easy and fast, anyway.

I just read the comments for that video and there were a couple suggestions similar to what I had posted. Putting silicone over the contact points - that might involve having to remove the circuit card to more easily access the contact points but still just a five minute job at most.

rong55

New Fanatic
I have a night stand, and I've been keeping my revolver in the night stand drawer. I'm not a fan of that for a number of reasons, but have been looking at the little safes that you have attach to them, and offer a bit of security to the pieces. I do not want to go with say a trigger lock.

I've been looking, and Amazon is offering their own version of the gun safes under the Amazon Basics brand.
A single gun safe is going for $61
https://amzn.to/2ERy7pm

Could go for a two gun safe for $69 (currently out of stock)

I even saw one for a biometric finger print reading quick release gun safe.

Does anyone have one they might recommend?
I've got the biometric sentry safe, opens with a quick finger swipe..like it..almost 2 bills though at Walmart

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I guess I should have gone with the finger print one. Might be good to get two anyways.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure about you guys, but in my case, I don't find the readers 100% reliable. I read in the instructions of one of them that the older a person gets, the harder it is for the touch pad to recognize the prints. I found that to be the case with one Barska that I have, I now use the number pad on that one instead of the reader. Maybe the higher priced models have better readers, but I can hit those numbers pretty fast.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
There's a lot of folks that don't trust the "electronics" on safes. And probably just as many, who attest they work fine. It's one of those personal "judgement" calls, kinda like the old "stopping power" thing: 9mm vs. 45ACP. In either case, if it ever comes to that critical moment in your life, you'd better be right! [emoji57]

Latest posts