Night Sights

jmt2566

Well-Known Fanatic
OK, Who can offer a good explanation of what I should look for in a set of night sights for a hand gun?
-What qualities should I look for?
-Do I need to have a gunsmith install them?
-What kind of price range should I expect to find in a decent set?

So, you get the picture... I know very little about them & hope that y'all can educate me. (If you start with the assumption that I know next to nothing about them you you will be safe! lol!)

-Thanks, Jeff

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an interest as well. From my research, night sights use tritium (radioactive) and quit glowing after some (5?) years. I have also seen some that are fiber optic and tritium, which should improve daylight visibility as well. With the fiber optic, you can also select different colors for front and rear, which seems would help getting the right dot (of the three) in the middle. But I cannot offer any advice, so please someone with experience chime in.

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
I have an interest as well. From my research, night sights use tritium (radioactive) and quit glowing after some (5?) years. I have also seen some that are fiber optic and tritium, which should improve daylight visibility as well. With the fiber optic, you can also select different colors for front and rear, which seems would help getting the right dot (of the three) in the middle. But I cannot offer any advice, so please someone with experience chime in.
ok yes you are correct they do have a life span but not 5 years Meprolight night sights last 10 years before they start to burn out.from what i can tell from feedback on websites that sell them its not the glow in the dark part that makes one better than another its how well the glow in the dark part is inserted in the sight.i've read alot of revews about people being upsett about the radioactive part "falling out of the sight" thats were meprolight seems to beat the rest.very good night sight can't go wrong with meprolight.as far as the install you will need a pusher tool for the install on the rear. and a front sight install tool for the front/these tools vary on different pistols.if you don't have these tools go see a gunsmith i recomend BOB at UAG he has very fair prices and he is a cool guy!

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
I have Trijicon's on one of my Springfield XDs. Just over 5 years and still going strong.
meprolight/trijicon both very fine products....i am alittle bias towards meprolight but that does not meen one is better than the other.

Halfcocked

Well-Known Fanatic
Price range $60 to $150. Gunsmith installation depends on which sights and on which gun,you have to be a little more careful with tritium sights then others. Qualities depend on the use and the user of the handgun. The best place to start is to find out what sights are offered for your handgun, the less popular the handgun the less options your going to have and if you have a 1911, get ready to have some fun. :!:

jmt2566

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for all the info! This is a great community that we have on here, a lot of knowledge available to share.

Thanks again, Jeff

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
I was just introduced to TFO's. I am in love...They are Tritium filled for night use and also have fiber optic rods for daytime use. It is the best of both worlds.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I would have to see the TFO's in person. I just see the one photo of them on a Glock on the manufacturer's website. I am not quite sold on the exposed portion of the fiber optic because of the wild color. I understand the fiber optic has to be exposed to function...I just don't like the color standing out. My Trijicons suit me well, as the contrast between the white outer circle and the tritium lamp is plainly visible in daylight. The TFO's are well-priced, though. I can see them being highly competitive with Trijicon and similar brands.

Latest posts