night hog hunting with thermal

M16MANIAC

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm addicted to thermal hog hunting. It's the most fun I've had hunting in many years. Used to be a die hard deer hunter now I live to shoot wild hogs.
Here is a video with a head shot on a sow at about 100 yards. Got her right behind the ear and she rolled over DRT. :shock:

M16MANIAC

Well-Known Fanatic
PapaBear said:
What kind of setup are you using for this?

LWRC 6.8 spc with10.5 " barrel and AAC 762sdn -6 suppressor. The thermal is a clip-on and can be used in conjunction with standard day scope or used a stand alone sight.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
My 762SD should be to me very soon! She will reside on my RRA 6.8 upper, can't wait!

What is the clip on thermal?

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like a good time. Really nice set up espically the l3... Just a clip on ;) :eek: . What scope are you using with it. You shooting from a stand? Do you see many yotes? I bet it is awsome watching the night. When I'm in my deer stand early I hear all the movement and the mind runs wild. Hope to buy some sort of night vision some day.

M16MANIAC

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm using a Leupold MK6 it makes a great combination.
I'm lazy and have a big box stand that i built we call it the condo comes with high back office chair
There are many coyotes out there although I've never hunted specifically for yote. I really need a game call. Just after sunset they usually lite up and I here them all around me sometimes as close as 50 yards but rarely see them. Thermal does give me an advantage :twisted:
These 2 weren't fast enough

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
I would consider such an arrangement, lol.

Looks like fun, OP. Please continue to share!

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
The pictures don't look too big to me. Usually keeping them to around 800 or so pixels wide allows pretty much all PCs and laptops to see it all at once. A condo with an office chair, eh? sounds like a real comfortable hunting spot! :lol:

M16MANIAC

Well-Known Fanatic
This one is a little crazy with lots of shooting. I apparently pulled my first shot and hit the big boar hog at the very top of his neck/ back :oops: . The hog that runs out of the tall grass behind the one I shot at first is HUGE!. We did recover 3 hogs and I almost got bitten by a copperhead when I picked up a stick to check the depth of the water in a ditch I was crossing. Damn snakes, my friend was hit by one almost exactly 2 years ago to the day out at my club.
I learned after this to not get so excited when there are so many hogs. My shooting was less than stellar. I was going to shoot the one up close but my brother insisted on shooting that one so I changed targets at the last minute. A few of them got a Texas heart shot but still managed to run off.

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
Great videos, thanks for sharing. That is a sweet setup you have, weapon, vision system, condo stand.

How far away are you in most of the shots? You are certainly in a target rich environment.

M16MANIAC

Well-Known Fanatic
mark_b said:
Great videos, thanks for sharing. That is a sweet setup you have, weapon, vision system, condo stand.

How far away are you in most of the shots? You are certainly in a target rich environment.

Most of those shots were +/- 120 yards.

I actually see less now than I used to. I've tried to do my part and shoot all I can as they do so much environmental damage.

During deer season trying to keep corn on the ground is nearly impossible. With 11 stands it can get expensive quickly.

HarperJt

Well-Known Fanatic
Great video. I've been on the fence for months about a thermal, but I need more education about them before I craw over the fence.

Thansk for sharing,
Jeff

Latest posts