New Vortex Spitfire

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
This new 1x is the heat. Since Leupold has discontinued the Prismatic, it's perfect timing. It's much like the Leupold with the etched double circle with dot reticle but has an integrated mount that is rock solid. It has a multi color reticle(green and red) and is way bright in direct sunlight.
They should be available soon. I will have this one at OKCGC Saturday and it will be on a new rifle next week. Check it out on the Vortex website. This thing is built like a tank!

Mike

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
I am phone bound. They have some real good ones on the Vortex site. I will try and get some up when I sight it in and shoot a couple groups. I think it's going to be the new standard for 1x 3-gun dots.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Really? 3minute is too big huh? Last time I checked most targets at major matches were 4minute. Just sayin. "Experts" also said an ACOG could never be competitive in 3-gun. :)

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The 10" MGM at 300 is just over 3 MOA. We shoot that out to 490 at FNH and Midwest and probably Rocky Mountain. I'm no rocket scientist but that's under 3 MOA isn't it

This optic is probably best for CQB or the pro series or I think the 3GN regionals are supposed to have MGM flash at 300 or less.

mike_pinto said:
Really? 3minute is too big huh? Last time I checked most targets at major matches were 4minute. Just sayin. "Experts" also said an ACOG could never be competitive in 3-gun. :)
Experts also said, "screw red dot sights, Im gonna shoot true irons and whup some butt." That was a couple years ago.... :tommy:

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
This thread got me excited about red dots. I've almost bought a prismatic several times but couldn't pull the trigger due to cost. So when you brought up this more economical option from Vortex I had to hit up the guys at Optics Planet to see if they could find one. Since they are one of the biggest Vortex retailers they had the Vortex rep hit me up and he was gracious enough to send one my way. I guess I gotta shoot some Tac Irons this year now.

I'm pretty impressed with this little scope. Feels robust for its size. Glass is clear. No weird distortion like you get with similar optics. The reticle is gonna be fast on close stuff. I haven't silent much time with a circle dot. I've always just liked a dot. Speaking of the dot and the 3 MOA discussion it doesn't look like it's bigger than the dot in my Eotech XPS2.1 or my Swaro Z6i. I'd guess it's a 1 MOA dot. I've got a message in to vortex to find out what reticle is really in this preproduction unit. Illumination is very bright and the green is pretty cool too.

Here are some pics. It looks great on my little Stag Arms 3TM fighting carbine.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Yah, I know the docs say 3minute but it doesn't look that big to me either. When I was helping them, I wanted a 1x with a 1min dot and som yardage hashes like the 3x version. I am hoping to get the 3x reticle in a 1x version. I think it will work well.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Just made double damn sure and it looks like the pris will be around for a while longer. They have decided to keep it in the lineup, which is great. That will let folks have a choice. In full disclosure, I love the pris but I think the mount on this one is what might attract a good following.

Jesse, what's your thoughts on the mount?

M

Sean Satterlee

Fanatic
personally, i'm a vortex fanboy. i have shot them for years, and am actually planning on adding their 5-25x FFP, H-58 reticle to my next 6.5 build once our bolt gun production starts.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
So I took the new optic out for a test drive. It sure it crystal clear. I had a target with a 3" circle on it at 100 yards and the dot didn't cover the circle, so it's smaller than 3 minute, although not by much. I am hopeful I will get the other reticle in before nationals but would not hesitate to use this one as is. Btw, the stock DPMS 3G1 is good to go out if the box if anyone is interested. I will be shooting the nationals with a stock rifle, a Winchester SX3 that has had nothing done except a tube, and an M&P that has had a little trigger work. Haven't shot 3-gun steady for a couple of years but it should be fun!!

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
mike_pinto said:
So I took the new optic out for a test drive. It sure it crystal clear. I had a target with a 3" circle on it at 100 yards and the dot didn't cover the circle, so it's smaller than 3 minute, although not by much. I am hopeful I will get the other reticle in before nationals but would not hesitate to use this one as is. Btw, the stock DPMS 3G1 is good to go out if the box if anyone is interested. I will be shooting the nationals with a stock rifle, a Winchester SX3 that has had nothing done except a tube, and an M&P that has had a little trigger work. Haven't shot 3-gun steady for a couple of years but it should be fun!!
SX3? Man you shoulda bought your SLP back from me. It had an opened port, C-Rums lifter, and the rear sight for slugs. All you would have wanted was a Nordic extension and you'd be rocking. It ran like a raped ape too, providing it had a competent operator, which ain't me.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Nah. The improvements on the gas in the SX3 were pretty substantial. The ability to shoot everything from the low noise, low recoil AA's to just about anything is pretty sweet.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
mike_pinto said:
Nah. The improvements on the gas in the SX3 were pretty substantial. The ability to shoot everything from the low noise, low recoil AA's to just about anything is pretty sweet.
Well I see that it's a ton lighter and the stock shims are a damn nice upgrade. That's one of the big reasons I went to a Vinci.